How to: Venice airport to San Basillio terminal

JerseyBird

Dear Board,

We are arriving VEC at 9am on Wednesday morning. Is the easiest way taking a taxi to the Port?  anyway knws how much for two?

I heard there is a water way to get there too; is it straight there?  if I have to transfer or alike, that's too much trouble.  Not sure if it really saves much money

If I get to the port, say around 10-10:30, can I get on broad then?

is it easy to get off the boat to tour Venice? We have been in Venice before, so this is not a "must".  But if it's not too much trouble, I don't mind seeing her again :-)

Thanks for your insight!

JerseyBird

I think it depends on how much you want to spend.  Our first time, out TA arranged a taxi from the airport to Piazzale Roma and a water taxi to the hotel.  A couple days later, a water taxi to the port.  Second time we took the shuttle bus to Piazzale Roma, walked to our hotel, then a couple days later, a water taxi to the port.  Perhaps some folk on the Ports of Call board that covers Italy could help you out.  EM

The most expensive, but also the most enjoyable way, is to just walk over to the water taxi stand at the airport and take one into the city from there. Typically our drivers have run through Murano and then up the Grand Canal-- the scenery, especially after a long flight, is spectacular. A little over 100 Euro. 

• Like 1

To answer your questions.   SAN Basilio can be reached by car or boat.   Land taxis charge 40€.   Count on 25 minutes Water taxis charge 120€.  Count on 40 minutes.    The charge is per boat.  It is normally possible to find someone to split the cost with at the water taxi desk in the arrival hall.  Beware of Viatour’s shared rides.  Read the reviews so you know what to expect.

According to their website, Alilaguna does not serve the SAN Basilio terminal.

only your cruise line can tell you when you can board.   SAN Basilio is easy walking distance to the centre of Venice.

You are right.  Alilaguna serves the Cruise Port not San Basilio.  But its linea Blu (blue line) stops at the Zattere which is a 10mns walk along the quai from San Basilio.  Takes a long time though because it goes out to the Lido before coming back to the Zattere.

I think the most fun way is watertaxi from the airport - even though it is expensive!

Have a real cheapskates way to the airport and my husband once talked me into  trying it.

We walked from San Basilio to Piazzale Roma along Calle ai Magazzani and caught the bus at P. Roma for 8 euro. It's only 1.3 miles. No bridges. Not too bad especially because we stayed not far from San Basilio and were attempting to do a 21 day cruise with carry-ons only- don't think I'd be up to it with full size luggage! But it worked- just a little dicey with traffic as we approached P. Roma. But I talked husband into a water taxi next time around. Subsequently it's been Alilaguna from Zattere.

Edited by Petoonya

We didn't come straight from the airport to San Basilio, but we did take a public vaporetto (ACTV - website something like ACTV.IT) to it from our San Marco hotel.  From the vaporetto stop at San Basilio, it is about a few minute, level walk down the waterfront to where our ship docked.  It was Viking, but it doesn't matter - San Basilio is San Basilio!   I don't remember any bridges, which can be a pain, especially with luggage - as you probably already know.  To get from the airport to our hotel we used the airport bus to Piazalle Roma, then took an ACTV vaporetto to the hotel in the San Marco area.  It was relatively fast, easy, and convenient (bus right outside the airport).   We are kind of basic travelers, so we passed on taking a private water taxi - plus I thought I read that there was a bit of a walk to them, which made me a little wary that it was the right choice for us. 

There might be more info on transportation options on the Ports of Call section of the Boards on Cruise Critic.  

I'm assuming you ARE scheduled to dock at San Basilio, right, and not the main dock location for Venice?  I think that might be a little unusual for Oceania, but of course, port assignments aren't usually up to the cruise line, so anything's possible.  Be aware, if you aren't by now, that there are two different vaporetto systems in Venice, and tickets are not interchangeable.  Alilaguna goes to the port and ACTV goes to San Basilio.  The water taxis are independent taxis that can pretty much go anywhere they're allowed to go!

Edited by roothy123

28 minutes ago, roothy123 said:

I'm assuming you ARE scheduled to dock at San Basilio, right, and not the main dock location for Venice?  I think that might be a little unusual for Oceania, but of course, port assignments aren't usually up to the cruise line, so anything's possible. 

The R ships  seemed to dock at San Basilio  for  many years now  so not unusual at all

not sure on the larger ships