Platinum Gift

dheat789

This seems like a very long time for them to be giving out the same gift.  We got Lanyards on the Vista in January, Valor in May and Vista again in July.  Looks like we will get them on the Dream at the end of October as well.  We normally cruise January, May and again in the fall and for the past 3 years we have gotten a different gift each time.  They must have gotten some deal on lanyards!

• Like 2

They still had lanyards on Liberty this weekend. Like the last poster mentioned, this is by far the longest they have given out the same gift, at least since we turned Platinum. I know a lot of people complain about the lanyards, but my only issue with them is they don’t have a clip on them, which makes buying things on the ship with your S&S card much easier. 

I don't really care what the free gift is, it is just that a free gift.  I would possibly use mine, my husband probably would not.  I do like the ship pin, which I hope I still get when we do the Horizon.  At least those give me a reminder of the ship I sailed on.  

1 hour ago, Lee Cruiser said:

John Heald posted this today:

I just finished a call with the beards. There will be a new Diamond and Platinum gift in the next couple of weeks and I will let you know what it is once it is ready to be sent to the ships.

I hope people like it

Cheers

As usual, John comes thru again.We will see how the masses react to the new gift.  If poorly, I hope they discontinue the program.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lee Cruiser said:

I just finished a call with the beards. There will be a new Diamond and Platinum gift in the next couple of weeks and I will let you know what it is once it is ready to be sent to the ships.

I hope people like it

Cheers

Look forward to a New gift Have gotten head phones (use all the time) and DW enjoys her USB external speakers. Yes we got Lanyards on the Magic in Sept

On 10/12/2019 at 9:52 PM, TNcruising02 said:

It isn't surprising that after giving out what appears to be nice gifts and then switching them for something cheap, people have reacted.  I mean, if someone's boss gave gave them a  $25 gift card as a gift each year and then decided to just give them a quarter one year, the person would wonder why. Even though a gift is a gift, if the gift is usually nice and then suddenly a cheap gift it will cause a reaction.  It would be better to give nothing and do away with the gift than to downgrade to something like a lanyard for people who have sailed over 75 nights. That's my opinion.

I don't really care anyway.  When I reach platinum, all I care about are the priority lines and dropping off carry ons.

Reading this reminded me of the movie Christmas Vacation.  Monetary bonus every year, then owner decides to save money and enrolls them in the Jelly of the Month Club. "The gift that keeps on giving Clark."

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I think they would be better off giving us a gift certificate for the Fun Shops. Even if they just give us $10, we can purchase whatever we want, so we couldn't complain. Also, we would likely spend more than $10 and they would make some money.

• Like 3

On 10/12/2019 at 12:16 PM, Djptcp said:

We have found most of the Platinum gifts to be not to our liking and we have left many in our cabin. Would rather Carnival stop the gifts and use the money to lower prices/not raise prices on something else.

That is not going to happen. If they eliminate it not going to lower prices on something else it will just be gone.

always thought they should offer a small selection of gifts instead of one.

Must say last few groups have been kind of pathetic. Remember the croc sun shade and the worlds thinnest stationary.

• Like 1

It's SWAG. Like when you go to a convention and vendors give out SWAG. Sometimes SWAG is cool (one vendor gave out crazy socks this year). Sometimes SWAG sucks (I've got way too many crappy ink pens). 

Take the good SWAG. Donate the crappy SWAG. 

(Need to bring those ink pens to Goodwill).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Micahs Grandad said:

That is not going to happen. If they eliminate it not going to lower prices on something else it will just be gone.

always thought they should offer a small selection of gifts instead of one.

Must say last few groups have been kind of pathetic. Remember the croc sun shade and the worlds thinnest stationary.

Croc was a couple of years ago, also included were headphones, tervis tumblers, nice backpacks, blankets, wireless speakers.  It is all how you look at it.  

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

Croc was a couple of years ago, also included were headphones, tervis tumblers, nice backpacks, blankets, wireless speakers.  It is all how you look at it.  

If they give a choice of 3-4 things would think complaints would go way down but apparently the plan is to eliminate the gift altogether.

On 10/14/2019 at 4:09 PM, Lee Cruiser said:

I hope people like it

Cheers

Then it sounds like we'll get a new one on our February. cruise.

5 hours ago, Micahs Grandad said:

If they give a choice of 3-4 things would think complaints would go way down but apparently the plan is to eliminate the gift altogether.

Where did you hear that?

EDIT: Looks like Jimbo already asked about this. 

Edited by PhillyFan33579

4 hours ago, Micahs Grandad said:

Why do you think giving a choice of 3-4 things people think are crappy gifts would make complaints go down? I would think it would be quite the opposite.

"Look at all the crappy things Carnival offers us Diamondeedoos and Platinummynums to pick from.  How cheap can they be?"

Even at the prospect of Heald "coming through with the Beards" for the return of better gifts, people are still complaining about the "Era of Crappy Gifts".   At some point, those Beards are gonna say "John, no matter how we try we just can't seem to get them to stop complaining.  Let's just stop trying altogether and get rid of the damn gift.  It's doing more harm than good."

So yes, in my professional opinion, they should stop trying to tantalize their long-standing repeat guests with toys and trinkets no matter how much the minority says those shiny baubles make their eyes light up (as long as it's not cheap). 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Add in the lanyards and one of these things is not like the other......Lol

Liked the croc visors, I have a few in red and a few in blue. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

What makes you think that?

Better chance that if they offered a selection would find something we think would be useful.

Been platinum about 10 years and have gotten gifts say 25 times and do think they used to give us a better and more imaginative gift.

1 hour ago, Micahs Grandad said:

Better chance that if they offered a selection would find something we think would be useful.

Been platinum about 10 years and have gotten gifts say 25 times and do think they used to give us a better and more imaginative gift.

How many P/D's were there 10 years ago? Today, according to the article posted above, there are over a million. Has to have inreased not only cost, but limited suppliers capable of supplying the volume required as well as complicate the logistics of distribution to more home ports being used today. If necessary to provide something, maybe the idea expressed above regarding a small on board credit would make sense.

12 minutes ago, runnersuzy said:

How many P/D's were there 10 years ago? Today, according to the article posted above, there are over a million. Has to have inreased not only cost, but limited suppliers capable of supplying the volume required as well as complicate the logistics of distribution to more home ports being used today. If necessary to provide something, maybe the idea expressed above regarding a small on board credit would make sense.

I have no clue how many P and D's there were back than but remember a bunch have moved on to other cruise lines or just stopped cruising. Overall they do not give much for loyalty so would hate to see this taken away but would rather they use a bit of imagination in picking gifts.

• Like 1