Executive office called about my Guarantee Cabin

1 hour ago, cruiselvr04 said:

does this mean they could call and cancel you the day before?  

If they want to bump you, reports here indicate they call a bit earlier than that -they just go down the line of folks offering higher and higher amounts till someone takes it - just like an oversold flight.

I'm not being snarky, but I think your TA should have contacted someone for you or else calmed you down. That is why you booked with a travel agent. Emails to the executive office should probably be reserved for actual, more serious problems. IMO if you decide to save money by booking a guarantee, you agree to tolerate the uncertainty of not having an assigned cabin. I think we have booked guarantees twice, generally we choose a cabin. I'm glad you were satisfied with the outcome. 

• Like 6

My TA is Pinnacle...so from her experiences both as a  cruiser and a TA for many many years this has not been her norm either. 

And she thinks also that Royal Up has everything to do with it. 

It still makes me wonder why others on my roll call got their guarantees assigned much earlier....leaving me the last one standing...why not hold everyone's guarantees ?

I chose to email on my own  umprompted to share my pre cruise experience / concerns with them.  I did not ask or demand anything from them.

I find it interesting that other sites...au and uk explain more about a guarantee than usa site does. 

I know now it was wrong of me to assume easy breezy like my 1st guarantee on quantum years ago which was my only other experience.

This is my 23rd cruise...and you are correct..i will not book guarantee again...

As for cabin assignment...no..nothing but as Damien mentioned they will be assigned by Wed.

Looking forward to driving to Bayonne...I lived there for 46 years and some of my family are still there. I had only cruised once in 2002 via Alaska before royal came to town in 2005 or so. That opened the gates for me to jump on the ship whenever time/money permitted.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, LINDAE3213 said:

It still makes me wonder why others on my roll call got their guarantees assigned much earlier....leaving me the last one standing...why not hold everyone's guarantees ?

I guarantee (see what I did there?) that it's nothing personal.  

Different people book at different times and book different categories of rooms.  Some categories are more likely to be affected by RoyalUp than others (some are more desirable than others).  

Even before RoyalUp, some people would get their assignment within 24 hours of booking, others not until the last week.  

It's a guarantee that you'll get a room on the ship -- not that you'll get the room assigned at the same time as everyone else.  

11 minutes ago, LINDAE3213 said:

My TA is Pinnacle...so from her experiences both as a  cruiser and a TA for many many years this has not been her norm either. 

And she thinks also that Royal Up has everything to do with it. 

I chose to email on my own  umprompted to share my pre cruise experience / concerns with them.  I did not ask or demand anything from them.

I find it interesting that other sites...au and uk explain more about a guarantee than usa site does. 

I know now it was wrong of me to assume easy breezy like my 1st guarantee on quantum years ago which was my only other experience.

This is my 23rd cruise...and you are correct..i will not book guarantee again...

As for cabin assignment...no..nothing but as Damien mentioned they will be assigned by Wed.

Looking forward to driving to Bayonne...I lived there for 46 years and some of my family are still there. I had only cruised once in 2002 via Alaska before royal came to town in 2005 or so. That opened the gates for me to jump on the ship whenever time/money permitted.

Have a great cruise!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Biker19 said:

If they want to bump you, reports here indicate they call a bit earlier than that -they just go down the line of folks offering higher and higher amounts till someone takes it - just like an oversold flight.

I haven't heard of this happening with RCL.   Does it happen much?   Is it like the Princess Cruises move over or down offer which usually means money back and a free cruise of at least equal to the one to be cancelled, and may-be money back for a flight?  

2 hours ago, Rassa said:

I haven't heard of this happening with RCL.   Does it happen much?   Is it like the Princess Cruises move over or down offer which usually means money back and a free cruise of at least equal to the one to be cancelled, and may-be money back for a flight?  

Not "much" but it does happen.

The offers vary.  As mentioned above, they make up a  list and make their way down until someone accepts the offer.  They sweeten the offer as people refuse.

On September 20th as a last minute decision, I booked a 3 night cruise on the Mariner for the  October 25th sailing (my birthday cruise🎂🚢). At the time, there weren’t a lot of desirable cabins left and decided on a balcony guarantee. This was the first time I’ve ever booked a guarantee cabin. Yesterday (2 weeks from sailing) we were issued our stateroom and couldn’t be happier with the location on deck 8. So I’m assuming that a two week period is an indicator on cabin assignments. Again, I know assignments will be based on supply and demand and the upgrade program. I wouldn’t sweat it on cabin assignments, although I did check daily but knew they would send me an email when it got assigned. Word of advice, don’t print your GTY set sail pass and GTY luggage tags until you get the actual cabin assigned. It will save on reprinting.

Edited by TomC21
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, TexasBlue7 said:

Question still is WHY? 

A big part of your answer is in your question:

12 minutes ago, TexasBlue7 said:

Need to add that all Jr Suites were booked, regular and guaranteed.

What, exactly, did you expect them to do for you, when they didn't have an assignable JS room to book you into?

Honestly, it sounds like you got a better room for your wife's needs -- the bathtub in the JS can be difficult to navigate with a bad knee, this way she has a walk-in shower instead.  Use the money you saved to book yourself another cruise.

Booked an interior guarantee in April for Nov 23rd Thanksgiving cruise on Harmony. Have not been given a room number yet. Did notice on my eDocs that it says Deck 11. I don't understand why they would just give a deck number? If they have the deck you would think they know the room. Also there are no interior rooms left on my sailing, so I must be assigned somewhere.

Also how does that work if you don't get your room number until you check in? Usually you drop your luggage off before you even check in. What are you supposed to put on your luggage tag to ensure they actually make it to your room? 

4 minutes ago, MNshortie21 said:

Also how does that work if you don't get your room number until you check in? Usually you drop your luggage off before you even check in. What are you supposed to put on your luggage tag to ensure they actually make it to your room? 

The porters can look you up on the manifest and write your luggage tag accordingly.

Just because you don't have your room number until you check in doesn't mean that it hasn't been assigned until check-in.  It's assigned by that morning and listed on the manifest. 

Edited by brillohead
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, brillohead said:

A big part of your answer is in your question:

What, exactly, did you expect them to do for you, when they didn't have an assignable JS room to book you into?

Honestly, it sounds like you got a better room for your wife's needs -- the bathtub in the JS can be difficult to navigate with a bad knee, this way she has a walk-in shower instead.  Use the money you saved to book yourself another cruise.

What did I expect from my post?  A negative post such as yours.  You didn't let me down.

What did I seek?  Someone that has addressed this issue with RL before and what RL had said.

Yes, all the Jr. Suites were booked.  What does that mean to me?  It means they are all sold, why not assign them now or at least see what they could do for us as our needs had changed.  Just makes good business sense to me. 

Hope to see a positive post from BrilloHead some day. :)

2 hours ago, TexasBlue7 said:

Just a question wondering if this question has been answered already and to save me time. 😊  Not looking for people telling me, “Well, that is what you signed up for.”  I know what we signed up for, but our needs changed several months after the booking.

We booked a Junior Suite Guaranteed for our next cruise during our last RL cruise.  We had a Jr Suite before when we took our grandson and liked the extra room we got.  They had a good price on a Jr Suite Guaranteed and we understood that it could be a last-minute stateroom assignment, including not until we hit the port. 

A few weeks ago, my wife messed up her knee and now uses a cane to get around and she is not as fast as she used to be, but at least getting around.  I was concerned that 1) the stateroom could be a long way from an elevator and 2) that we wouldn’t get the stateroom assignment till arriving at the port (Yes, I know you normally get it a few days before, but have read more than once of people not getting it till when they arrive at the port.)  If we didn’t get the stateroom assignment until we arrived at port that creates a huge luggage issue for us. 

When we contacted RL about our new issue we got the normal line that the Guarantee works that way and no way to know when the stateroom would be assigned.  Need to add that all Jr Suites were booked, regular and guaranteed.  So, we gave up and downgraded to a balcony and picked a stateroom.  It cut our cost in almost half. 

Question still is WHY?  Please don’t respond that “is how the system works.”  If our situation hadn’t changed, we could work with a last-minute stateroom assignment.  Does the existing RL policy make that much business sense that it has no room for making exceptions?  We were so frustrated we almost gave up our deposit and cancelled the cruise. 

My lips are sealed 

33 minutes ago, TexasBlue7 said:

What did I expect from my post?  A negative post such as yours.  You didn't let me down.

What did I seek?  Someone that has addressed this issue with RL before and what RL had said.

Yes, all the Jr. Suites were booked.  What does that mean to me?  It means they are all sold, why not assign them now or at least see what they could do for us as our needs had changed.  Just makes good business sense to me. 

Hope to see a positive post from BrilloHead some day. 🙂

How many folks would that have GTY's would suddenly have a bad knee if RCI made exceptions for you? Come to think of it mine is starting to bother me right now.🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, FLACRUISER99 said:

How many folks would that have GTY's would suddenly have a bad knee if RCI made exceptions for you? Come to think of it mine is starting to bother me right now.🙄

6 minutes ago, FLACRUISER99 said:

I just love the kindness you run into here now and then.  :)  I'm sure you were not questioning my honesty.   Seem no one has any input I was looking for.  My fault for asking.   I'll try to delete the post.  Happy Cruising!

2 minutes ago, TexasBlue7 said:

I just love the kindness you run into here now and then.  🙂 I'm sure you were not questioning my honesty.   Seem no one has any input I was looking for.  My fault for asking.   I'll try to delete the post.  Happy Cruising!

I'm just trying to show you RCI's thinking.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TexasBlue7 said:

A few weeks ago, my wife messed up her knee and now uses a cane to get around and she is not as fast as she used to be, but at least getting around.  I was concerned that 1) the stateroom could be a long way from an elevator and 2) that we wouldn’t get the stateroom assignment till arriving at the port (Yes, I know you normally get it a few days before, but have read more than once of people not getting it till when they arrive at the port.)  If we didn’t get the stateroom assignment until we arrived at port that creates a huge luggage issue for us. 

I'm not being negative but I don't understand the issue(s).  A "W" guarantee is at least a JS or higher.  I haven't been on every ship but suites are usually located mid ship close to elevators, which is what you would need.  Further there really is not a big difference in handling luggage if you don't get your room assignment at the pier.  If you don't have your room assignment before you get to the pier, porters will make luggage tags and take your bags.  If you know your room number, you give the porter your bags when you arrive.  Maybe a difference of 5 minutes the most. 

What was your expectation when you called?  Assign your room?