Handbag question

SarahHben

Hello

I have started jotting down a rough list of what I might want to take with me on our 7 night cruise. We're not going until next June but you can never be too prepared 🤣

I'm often guilty of being an over packer so I am trying to be more sensible, but.....

My list has quite a few bags on it, rucksack for days out, large bag for embarkation day, canvas bag for pool/sea days and so far 4 evening clutch bags to match my various long and short gowns.

I just wondered, do you tend to use evening bags on the ship? Or as it's cash free are they pretty much redundant? I don't want to waste space that could be used for more shoes 😁

Thanks

Sarah

• Haha 1

Sarah,  I personally like a small clutch bag for evening - useful for my cruise card, tissues, lipstick and occasionally my mobile phone if I want to take some photos!!  I try to take just 3 - black, white & silver - but they are quite small so don't take up much room!  Happy cruising! 

Cath

• Like 2

I think you will find most ladies use a small bag for evenings, but must admit I only take one or two (black and perhaps silver), partly because I always like some tissues with me as well as cruise card etc.  I find it easier to have a bag with a handle, or one that could be tucked under my arm, for Captains welcome party as I like to have hands free for a drink and also any canapes I manage to get hold of 🙂.

I have seen small bags put on the table, but tables can be very cramped in the evening with all the cutlery etc. (especially large tables), so I find it easier to have a bag tucked under my chair.  Just my opinion on that.

Thank you all for your replies. 

I think I'll try to just take 2 clutch bags to match my formal dresses and then take Stokie's advice and use hubby as my handbag if I don't have anything to match any of my other evening outfits 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stokie33 said:

I'm probably in the minority but never take a bag. I put my cruise pass in my husbands trouser pocket and leave my phone behind. I suppose my hubby is my handbag 😁 

Same as. I don't think my wife even owns a handbag! I just go out in the evening with lipstick, tissue, seapass in my pockets.

Simon

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

I am Michelle's man bag.. 

But that doesn't stop her taking one for every day of the week and never using them... along with about 20 pairs of matching shoes just in case!! 

The beauty of no real luggage limit I suppose. 

Andy 

Michelle sounds like a woman after my own heart! 😁

• Like 4

I dont take hardsided handbags.. mine are totally flat so I take loads in different colours to match with what I'm wearing. I also take a handbag hook, so if i can't get a table near a window (windowsill for handbag) I hang said bag off table.If I try and put behind me in chair it always falls out. I purchase said handbag hook off amazon.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, the english lady said:

I dont take hardsided handbags.. mine are totally flat so I take loads in different colours to match with what I'm wearing. I also take a handbag hook, so if i can't get a table near a window (windowsill for handbag) I hang said bag off table.If I try and put behind me in chair it always falls out. I purchase said handbag hook off amazon.

Ooh I like the sound of that hook! 

19 hours ago, SarahHben said:

Hello

I have started jotting down a rough list of what I might want to take with me on our 7 night cruise. We're not going until next June but you can never be too prepared 🤣

I'm often guilty of being an over packer so I am trying to be more sensible, but.....

My list has quite a few bags on it, rucksack for days out, large bag for embarkation day, canvas bag for pool/sea days and so far 4 evening clutch bags to match my various long and short gowns.

I just wondered, do you tend to use evening bags on the ship? Or as it's cash free are they pretty much redundant? I don't want to waste space that could be used for more shoes 😁

Thanks

Sarah

Love it! I’m always telling my husband a woman can never have too many handbags! The only times I’ve restricted myself I’ve regretted it! 😂

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Ooh I like the sound of that hook! 

they are useful,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xhandbag+hooks.TRS0&_nkw=handbag+hooks&_sacat=0

if you have one that has a magnet with it, you would need to put your cruise card in an rfid sleeve, so the magnet doesnt wipe your card.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, the english lady said:

they are useful,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xhandbag+hooks.TRS0&_nkw=handbag+hooks&_sacat=0

if you have one that has a magnet with it, you would need to put your cruise card in an rfid sleeve, so the magnet doesnt wipe your card.

Thank you, most useful. I always find they fall off the P&O chairs!

5 hours ago, the english lady said:

I dont take hardsided handbags.. mine are totally flat so I take loads in different colours to match with what I'm wearing. 

Ditto but I only take 3 black, silver & gold and find they go with most outfits. They fit snugly in the outer pocket of my suitcase. 

14 hours ago, Palaceman said:

If my wife didn't have a handbag with her, where would I keep my glasses?

I take several evening bags to match my outfits and when packing put the matching jewelry etc inside the bag before putting in the suitcase.One evening bag is very small so only fits my cruise card, hankie and lipstick so my hubby takes my glasses and carries them in his trouser pocket!

• Like 1

I never use a bag on the ship, hubby keeps my cruise card with his normally in his shirt pocket. I find they get in the way especially during meals. Plus I don’t think they are very hygienic for some people as you often see them on the floor in the toilets and then they are put on the Dinning tables. 

For port days I take a soft hand bag that I can wear across me, and not a very expensive one just in case someone  tries to pinch it. Also take a soft rucksack in the case so we can carry rain macs etc if we think we might need them.

I hate my husband putting things in his trouser pockets so always take small evening bags. Like others I only take three - silver, black and cream and make them match everything.  I take my glasses, phone, lipstick, cruise-card and tissues in my bag and don't feel properly dressed without it. I used to have problems with the cruise card demagnetising near my phone but on our last cruise the cards were much better.  However just in case I have a little Celebrity card pouch which is fantastic

I have a small rucksack which I take to use on shore days and I usually take about 7 handbags with me on a 14 night cruise - all different colours to match my outfits and shoes.  I also use them for putting small items in when packing.  I take 15-16 pairs of shoes and sandals - including trainers and flip-flops.  Can never have too many shoes or bags!😄

Michele

• Like 1