Carnival Radiance

swimmom32

The Radiance will come out in the springtime as they make her over from the Victory.  She will be the third and final ship of this class that has been totally redone.  We have sailed on both the other ships and will be on the Radiance for her TA to New York this coming June.  As mentioned, they are adding some cabins, but we found the other two ships no more crowded than any other ships, we also found that most who speak negatively have not been on any of them (go figure).  She will be completely redone when she comes out and will have some unique things that other Carnival ships have.  We are very much looking forward to sailing on her.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

The Radiance will come out in the springtime as they make her over from the Victory.  She will be the third and final ship of this class that has been totally redone.  We have sailed on both the other ships and will be on the Radiance for her TA to New York this coming June.  As mentioned, they are adding some cabins, but we found the other two ships no more crowded than any other ships, we also found that most who speak negatively have not been on any of them (go figure).  She will be completely redone when she comes out and will have some unique things that other Carnival ships have.  We are very much looking forward to sailing on her.  

If it follows suit with the Sunrise they will add more rooms taking away common area and ruin a perfectly good ship. The Sunrise does not come even close to the Sunshine. Anyone sailing the Sunrise you get exactly what you ask for. Standing up to eat.

1 hour ago, jmcathome said:

If it follows suit with the Sunrise they will add more rooms taking away common area and ruin a perfectly good ship. The Sunrise does not come even close to the Sunshine. Anyone sailing the Sunrise you get exactly what you ask for. Standing up to eat.

that is amusing to me. I have sailed on the victory, and just disembarked the Sunrise today. I have experience on both these ships. I never had to stand, and haven’t found these ships crowded. 

2 hours ago, jmcathome said:

That's strange. We just spent 13 day's on the Sunrise and we never had to stand up to eat.😎

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

That's strange. We just spent 13 day's on the Sunrise and we never had to stand up to eat.😎

Must have been a wempty crusie. I just spent 7 on it and had a problem everyday

1 hour ago, UPNYGuy said:

that is amusing to me. I have sailed on the victory, and just disembarked the Sunrise today. I have experience on both these ships. I never had to stand, and haven’t found these ships crowded. 

I just got off the Sunrise and many people were standing often. Not of course at 7am or 3 pm

8 minutes ago, jmcathome said:

I just got off the Sunrise and many people were standing often. Not of course at 7am or 3 pm

I do not eat in the lido at all, so that might be why. I only eat in the MDR except on MSC, where I will eat in the buffet on occasion. 

Edited by UPNYGuy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jmcathome said:

Which free space are they taking away with that impacts your cruise?  So many non truths in your post, I do not know where to start. Standing on Lido is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of.  

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jmcathome said:

Must have been a wempty crusie. I just spent 7 on it and had a problem everyday

Huh, we were on her in July and had the largest number of guests to date, certainly over the stated capacity for lower berths by couple hundred, and there were none, read that as zero , less than 1 standing.  Show me the pics.  You did not say had a problem, you said people had to stand.

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

Huh, we were on her in July and had the largest number of guests to date, certainly over the stated capacity for lower berths by couple hundred, and there were none, read that as zero , less than 1 standing.  Show me the pics.  You did not say had a problem, you said people had to stand.

yes people had to stand. Show me your pictures first. If they did not have to stand they just gave up and stayed in their ccabin

20 minutes ago, jmcathome said:

yes people had to stand. Show me your pictures first. If they did not have to stand they just gave up and stayed in their ccabin

Lol, now we have gone from standing to eat to returning to their cabins and you want me to show you pics that back up your story.  😂  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jmcathome said:

Do not really care what you believe.

How about the free space they took away, which free space was this?  Look, if you did not like your cruise on the Sunrise, that is fine, post a review or start s thread on the  topic.  This thread is not even about the Sunrise.  

• Like 2

We sailed on Victory four times - in fact, she was our first cruise, and got us hooked. We're booked on Radiance for a 9-day sailing next year, and we did a short (4-day) cruise on Sunrise this past August. I do find problems with Sunrise's buffet line and fully expect that those problems will carry over to Radiance - but the problems are the result of the original buffet design of the class of ship, not the overhaul (which does add passengers). Victory has two main buffet lines (Conquest-class ships have four) - and from what I can see on the deck plans, she will still have two main buffet lines as Radiance, same as Sunrise. The main buffet lines are long; they do try to open up "express" lines at breakfast,   but there are some items you can get only in the main lines. At lunch there will be more options -  the deli, Seafood Shack, Big Chicken, Pizza, Cucina, Guy's, Blue Iguana and BBQ. We're prepared for the lines - the only truly bad one on Sunrise was the deli. DH gave up after standing in line for 10 minutes without moving.

As for seating - we never had a problem finding seats on Sunrise's Lido for either breakfast or lunch, and we eat at prime time. The only ship on which we couldn't find seating at lunch and brought our food back to our cabin was one day on Carnival Miracle out of NYC for an 8-day cruise in 2009. We docked in Freeport and back-on-board time was 1:00, sailing at 1:30. Of course, everyone waited to eat lunch until back on board, and the dining room wasn't open for lunch since it was a port day. Lido seating was not happening on that one, but that was an unusual occurrence.

We're looking forward to Radiance. I just hope there are some vestiges of Victory left.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

How about the free space they took away, which free space was this?  Look, if you did not like your cruise on the Sunrise, that is fine, post a review or start s thread on the  topic.  This thread is not even about the Sunrise.  

i did. It just has not posted yet

• Like 1

The common space that is lost to new cabins are in 2 main locations:

- Deck 3 Main Theater - The new theater will only be 2 decks. All of the seating that is under the balcony level of Deck 4 is gone. The new bottom floor will be deck 4 and have about 1/2 the main floor seating of the old Deck 3. However it is a flat floor with movable seating, so it can be used for multiple functions not just a theater.

- Deck 5 aft. All of the public space behind deck 5 rear elevators is turned into cabins. On the current victory, that holds a lounge used mainly for Karaoke, the comedy club and the piano bar. All of these areas will be squeezed into the existing deck 4 hallways and Ionian room. They will be smaller venues on the radiance than on the victory.

It is not a lot of lost space, but it does reduce the cabin to public space ratio. I have not sailed on the Sunrise, but I have been on both the Sunshine and the Victory. I noticed on the sunshine the comedy club filled fast creating long lines waiting for the doors to open. The end of the line seldom were able to get a seat and were turned away. The good seats in the main theater filled quickly since there were less of them. The piano bar often filled. There were usually people standing around the edges waiting for a seat. We often found a seat after a short wait, but we only needed 2 or 3 seats. Larger groups never seemed to get a seat and left for other venues.

Over all the changes don't ruin things, but they do cause you to plan ahead and not go to venues last minute. I love the Victory, sailed in numerous times, so I would like to sail it as the Radiance and get a real comparison of the same ship before and after.

4 hours ago, smcgoldr said:

The common space that is lost to new cabins are in 2 main locations:

- Deck 3 Main Theater - The new theater will only be 2 decks. All of the seating that is under the balcony level of Deck 4 is gone. The new bottom floor will be deck 4 and have about 1/2 the main floor seating of the old Deck 3. However it is a flat floor with movable seating, so it can be used for multiple functions not just a theater.

- Deck 5 aft. All of the public space behind deck 5 rear elevators is turned into cabins. On the current victory, that holds a lounge used mainly for Karaoke, the comedy club and the piano bar. All of these areas will be squeezed into the existing deck 4 hallways and Ionian room. They will be smaller venues on the radiance than on the victory.

It is not a lot of lost space, but it does reduce the cabin to public space ratio. I have not sailed on the Sunrise, but I have been on both the Sunshine and the Victory. I noticed on the sunshine the comedy club filled fast creating long lines waiting for the doors to open. The end of the line seldom were able to get a seat and were turned away. The good seats in the main theater filled quickly since there were less of them. The piano bar often filled. There were usually people standing around the edges waiting for a seat. We often found a seat after a short wait, but we only needed 2 or 3 seats. Larger groups never seemed to get a seat and left for other venues.

Over all the changes don't ruin things, but they do cause you to plan ahead and not go to venues last minute. I love the Victory, sailed in numerous times, so I would like to sail it as the Radiance and get a real comparison of the same ship before and after.

All true, the poster who brought it up seems to have been hard pressed to answer.  The point of asking was the significance to daily cruise interaction  in the space used, which is not much.  Ties to comments on having to stand to eat on lido, which everyone rebuffed after the claim.  Thanks for bringing it to light.