The Perks that aren't

onyourmark

On 10/14/2019 at 9:23 PM, Fouremco said:

While we prefer longer cruises, we'll occasionally take a 7 day cruise out of Fort Lauderdale or Miami and even with these shorter cruises have never even come close to paying more for airfare than for our cruise. Ottawa prices aren't very good, but clearly better than London's!

I live in Mississauga and can usually find reasonable prices out of Pearson and combined with an overnight hotel stay makes the deal even better. My credit card earns travel points 9 for every dollar when booked through Expedia which can be redeemed on the package.

On 10/13/2019 at 12:18 PM, Stateroom_Sailor said:

I guess we're all fortunate to had the sales in the past that we did.  I remember paying $1,750 each in  2016 for an 8 night repo from San Juan in Aqua, which included all 4 perks.  Even just last year, $650 each, for a 4 night Bahamas in Aqua, which included 2 perks.  People complained that you were paying for the perks in the price, I don't think so, but true today...

I booked a Bermuda Cruise in 2016 with the same deal only in Concierge. I had to book Concierge in order to get the 4 perks. I booked when the itinerary opened and down the road they were only offering 1 perk and the price for the same room category was more. I also remember that the price dropped a week after I booked and I saved an additional $200. Those were free perks at that time. Now it's just an overpriced cruise  with or without perks. I need to book refundable so Celebrity hasn't been the best option for me lately.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2019 at 1:15 AM, retird said:

I noticed that when they offered an upgrade for the price of a lesser cabin( ie: when they offered balcony for price of ocean view, ) they actually increased the price of ocean view to the price of a balcony.   Not blaming them for their marketing strategy, but as in any financial transaction , it is buyer beware.

They have been doing that for years. I first noticed it on Princess as we are perfectly happy in an ocean view even if it's obstructed.  I know what the price should be for a 7 day Caribbean cruise in an ocean view.  I was forced to book the lowest category unobstructed balcony on Anthem last year because it was less than the ocean view. The cruise lines are smart because in the end (I booked when itinerary first opened) the price of the ocean view was still more than what I paid for the balcony and balcony prices were more than what I paid. I just don't like the fake sale B.S.  It was my first Royal Caribbean cruise in almost 20 yrs and I kept getting offers to Royal Up and bid on a higher Category. They must have thought that I was a newbie because the lowest bid that I could offer would have been more money than if I booked that category from the get go. I would have also been able to choose the room at that time. You have to be careful with those offers as well. Fortunately I did my homework and recorded the prices for the upper categories. I got 3 offers so apparently I wasn't the only one who is aware of this ploy.  

Edited by Iamcruzin

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I booked a Bermuda Cruise in 2016 with the same deal only in Concierge. I had to book Concierge in order to get the 4 perks. I booked when the itinerary opened and down the road they were only offering 1 perk and the price for the same room category was more. I also remember that the price dropped a week after I booked and I saved an additional $200. Those were free perks at that time. Now it's just an overpriced cruise  with or without perks. I need to book refundable so Celebrity hasn't been the best option for me lately.

Exactly!  We originally booked Concierge too, then later negotiated an uncharge, to match the last minute price difference  between the two classes ($100).  Only half the ship had these perks and at such a low price.  Too many people took advantage of the promo, reducing available capacity, followed by our sailing being permanently classified as "reposition", future promos disqualified.