Taxi from EZE to hotel in BA and to port - how much?

lorri111

Am after any info on transport from EZE to Recoleta hotel - I gather Ezeizataxi is the way to go - any advice?

Also, what about getting from hotel to port - how much should a taxi cost so I have some idea how much local cash I need. Any advice gratefully received!

We will also be interested in information generated by your post.  We will be staying in the ARC Recoleta hotel for a few days after the Antarctica cruise.  We have transportation (and a city tour) arranged for our arrival back in BA but have not yet resolved transportation from the hotel to EZE on the day we are heading back home.

Larry & Linda

On 10/15/2019 at 2:08 AM, Trend said:

When heading back to airport last January we had the hotel call a taxi and all was good. 
When we arrived in BA we had hotel driver pick us up as we were concerned.

Hi, when the hotel calls a taxi is it a fixed price you are advised before or do you just pay at end like normal taxis? Can you remember how much it cost from hotel to EZE?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2019 at 6:38 PM, Trend said:

It is not a fixed amount but they give you an idea of cost and it was close to that.

i think it was about $60 US equivalent.

Thank you very much for the good idea.  We are headed in mid-January from the BA Hilton to EZE - and we'll probably ask the Hilton to arrange something for us.  I'll let everyone know what it turns out to be.

I have used Uber in Bs As to go distances similar in length to that of EZE to Recoleta. Cost is about $10 at todays exchange rates (USD = 70 pesos+).  The problem is that UberXL (large vehicles) is not an option. Accordingly, if you have a lot of luggage and want to be sure to obtain a vehicle capable of carrying it all, it is best to go to the Taxi EZE stand OUTSIDE the secure area and ask for a taxi "familiar" which is a larger SUV type vehicle. The EZE stand inside the secure area has much higher prices. I would estimate the cost to be about $20 or less.

p.s. Today the USD is trading for 70 pesos or more. Owing to the elections tomorrow, it is believed the USD will trade at 80 pesos or more very soon.

Edited by pmacher61

On 10/26/2019 at 8:43 AM, pmacher61 said:

I have used Uber in Bs As to go distances similar in length to that of EZE to Recoleta. Cost is about $10 at todays exchange rates (USD = 70 pesos+).  The problem is that UberXL (large vehicles) is not an option. Accordingly, if you have a lot of luggage and want to be sure to obtain a vehicle capable of carrying it all, it is best to go to the Taxi EZE stand OUTSIDE the secure area and ask for a taxi "familiar" which is a larger SUV type vehicle. The EZE stand inside the secure area has much higher prices. I would estimate the cost to be about $20 or less.

p.s. Today the USD is trading for 70 pesos or more. Owing to the elections tomorrow, it is believed the USD will trade at 80 pesos or more very soon.

Thanks for this.  I think some people lose sight of the fact of exchange rates.

• 2 weeks later...

Of course inflation goes along with the devaluation of the peso.  You get more pesos for $1 but what you are buying costs more pesos.  For example, if something cost 500 pesos in March it may cost 700 now, still cheaper in USD, just not as much cheaper as it would be the price in pesos did not go up. 

• Like 1

Also wondering if taxis will take USD.  I've read that it is hard to do anything with small denomination USD--the cambios only want to take $50 or $100 bills.  We will need to take a taxi from the port to our hotel and will not have any way to get pesos unless there is some way to change money at the port--doubtful.

On 11/14/2019 at 6:22 PM, mcmarya said:

Also wondering if taxis will take USD.  I've read that it is hard to do anything with small denomination USD--the cambios only want to take $50 or $100 bills.  We will need to take a taxi from the port to our hotel and will not have any way to get pesos unless there is some way to change money at the port--doubtful.

See my post above where it sounds like US$ are much beloved.  We're going to take every thing from ones to hundreds. I don't know if there are taxis in BA that take credit cards.  I did a little search and it appears that there are ATM and cambios at the cruise port.  Maybe ask the cruise line or TA to verify.

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, cboyle said:

We have used this company twice before for tours/transfers in Buenos Aires. We will  be using them again in February, 2020.

http://www.defrantur.com/INGLES/Default.asp

Many thanks for posting. We will be in BA in mid-March 2020 pre-cruise. This information just what I was looking for. Trying to decide if we should contact our hotel for transfers from airport and/or use Defrantur for both transfers/tour.

again. Thanks for the info.  

John and I are going in to Buenos Aires two days before our Antarctica expedition cruise with Ponant from Ushuaia on February 3. 

Defrantur is picking us up at the airport for a private transfer to our hotel (2 nights), which they also arranged, in the Retiro neighborhood. In early afternoon. we are doing a private tour to the Tigre River and a wine tasting later in the evening. The next day we are being taken to a food tour in the Palermo neighborhood and being dropped off afterwards at the San Telmo antiques fair. They have recommended and made a dinner reservation at a restaurant near the hotel and are picking us up very early the next morning for a private transfer to the airport for the Ponant-included flight to Ushuaia. All of that (not including the dinner) is costing half of what Ponant was asking for 1 night in a hotel plus a city tour, dinner at a steakhouse, and the airport transfers for the two of us. 

If you want to read about other tours Defrantur has set up for us, this is our (very long) review of our "Around the Horn" cruise with precruise tours in Buenos Aires, Iguazu Falls and wine regions of Argentina and Chile. They also arranged a tour to an estancia when the cruise had a port call in Buenos Aires. https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=80603

If you have any questions, just ask.

Hope that helps!

Carolyn

There was a post earlier in the year about this subject and it would be worth reading.  The heading was "Beware of taxis in Santiago and Buenos Aires" and it was submitted by scubacruiserx2 on Aug. 8th.  Scroll down about three pages until you find it.  Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, matamanoa said:

There was a post earlier in the year about this subject and it would be worth reading.  The heading was "Beware of taxis in Santiago and Buenos Aires" and it was submitted by scubacruiserx2 on Aug. 8th.  Scroll down about three pages until you find it.  Hope this helps.

Good information in that thread re taxis and letter from Holland America January 2019.

More information about the British tourists targeted  with one killed, near their hotel in Buenos Aires a few days ago.

Apparently there are gangs that watch tourists arriving at the airport and then follow their taxis to their downtown hotels. They pick tourists wearing expensive watches etc. and then they are attacked after getting out of the cab. This gang included two from Venezuela and were known to police for other muggings recently. They caught the shooter on his way to Bolivia and have four others in custody.

Stay safe.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2019 at 8:05 PM, cboyle said:

John and I are going in to Buenos Aires two days before our Antarctica expedition cruise with Ponant from Ushuaia on February 3. 

Defrantur is picking us up at the airport for a private transfer to our hotel (2 nights), which they also arranged, in the Retiro neighborhood. In early afternoon. we are doing a private tour to the Tigre River and a wine tasting later in the evening. The next day we are being taken to a food tour in the Palermo neighborhood and being dropped off afterwards at the San Telmo antiques fair. They have recommended and made a dinner reservation at a restaurant near the hotel and are picking us up very early the next morning for a private transfer to the airport for the Ponant-included flight to Ushuaia. All of that (not including the dinner) is costing half of what Ponant was asking for 1 night in a hotel plus a city tour, dinner at a steakhouse, and the airport transfers for the two of us. 

If you want to read about other tours Defrantur has set up for us, this is our (very long) review of our "Around the Horn" cruise with precruise tours in Buenos Aires, Iguazu Falls and wine regions of Argentina and Chile. They also arranged a tour to an estancia when the cruise had a port call in Buenos Aires. https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=80603

If you have any questions, just ask.

Hope that helps!

Carolyn

Defrantur- I have tried to contact this company by email and using their website contact too.  No response.  It has been several days now.