Muzak

Just been watching Rick Steves “Cruising round the Mediterranean” programme on You Tube in which he sails on Celebrity. I suspect the programme was made some years ago but possibly still representative.

There appears to be continuous Muzak (fairly loud and of the thump thump beat type) played out on the Pool Deck. I am hoping that I am right to assume you do not have to suffer this on Regent. I seem to recall a similar issue on Oceania in a video we saw. When we sailed on Celebrity before (about 12 years ago) I don’t remember this as a problem but Celebrity does seem to have targeted a younger, livelier ambience on their ships these days.

I appreciate that there will be live performers playing music in the lounges, and, of course in Constellation Theatre, and we look forward to that, but please tell me we don’t have to suffer ship wide “events” such as Celebrity’s “silent disco” - check it out on the Rick Steves programme as above. Not our cup of tea !

I usually walk a mile or two early in the morning above the pool deck and remember some quiet music coming from the pool deck speakers.  Not intrusive ever annoying at all, and was nice "enjoy a cup of coffee while watching the water" kind of music.

Can't say I remember hearing or not hearing music on the pool deck aside from when the band was playing out there... which to me anyway means that if there is music playing it is not at all intrusive...  but I can tell you that Rick Steves is not the greatest nor the most reliable source for travel information.   He makes mistakes in his books - a lot.   And a video can always have some background music put into it.   

We also rarely hear music on the Pool Deck (except when entertainment is brought in for lunch or dinner).

Agree that background music should be "really background" - not the loud pre-dinner sounds that tend to be in the lounges.  Hoping that Regent has contacted all ships and set a standard for the highest decibel that should be permitted before dinner and also during the shows. 

• Haha 1

The music At the pool is low enough that you can hear it, but not enough to actually enjoy it.   I don’t want to hear loud heavy metal either,  but I end up wearing my headphones so I can listen to something I like, because I rather listen to music than some guy next to me going on and on about what he ate for breakfast and what he plans on ordering tomorrow.  

The Rick Steves silent disco thing on Celebrity is actually very cool and would be fun in my opinion.   

On 10/13/2019 at 5:32 PM, flossie009 said:

Yes, there is usually "background" music playing on the Pool Deck of Regent ships throughout the day.

Background music is also played in Compass Rose & La Veranda during lunch 

(reporting from Voyager)

Yes, Flossie009, as to background music at La Veranda during lunch.  But, opening up this a bit--

The only "sour note" during our recently-completed Explorer BTB--Stockholm, Southampton; Southampton-Southampton was vapid, loud, and annoying canned music at La Veranda during breakfast.  The vocal "artist" was basically, screaming and yelling unintelligible lyrics while we attempted to enjoy our first, and second cups of coffee. 

Such a contrast to the mellifluous music at Compass Rose breakfasts.  Debussy, Faure', and such.  

We did make note of this discordance on mid, and final evaluations.  To no avail.  

Well, another First World problem.  

GOARMY!

3 hours ago, GOARMY said:

The only "sour note" during our recently-completed Explorer BTB--Stockholm, Southampton; Southampton-Southampton was vapid, loud, and annoying canned music at La Veranda during breakfast.  The vocal "artist" was basically, screaming and yelling unintelligible lyrics while we attempted to enjoy our first, and second cups of coffee. 

Yes, one of the few times we have really noticed (in a bad way) the “Muzak” on a Regent ship was also on Explorer.

We were trying to enjoy a leisurely lunch on the open aft deck (an excellent location), but the raucous jazz singer coming loudly over the speakers certainly spoiled the ambience.