Cupcakes and Sushi

You can pay for two, at least you were able to on Ovation last April. My teens did the Sushi class, and I took my girls and a friend's daughter to the cupcake class.

On Ovation, at least that particular class, the cupcake class wasn't a class. It was kind of semi organized chaos. Everyone had two cupcakes and they just put candy and icing on the table and you decorated the cupcakes. The decorating took about 15 mins. It took 45 mins. to get everyone seated and then cupcakes passed out. I had read online reviews ahead of time and saw some really cute cupcakes. It was a disappointment for sure. I think at least part of the issue was they were selling the class somewhere on board and people were showing up to the class but the crew in the class didn't have them on their sign in sheet so they just kept opening more tables. There were at least 40 people there for the class, the majority were under 10 and many parents did not stay, just dropped their child off.

The sushi class was a lot of fun according to my teens. They love eating sushi and we do make it at home, but they were were more interested in the eating of sushi. They stuffed themselves on their creations and had a great time. 

1 minute ago, 3monkeys4me said:

You can pay for two, at least you were able to on Ovation last April. My teens did the Sushi class, and I took my girls and a friend's daughter to the cupcake class.

On Ovation, at least that particular class, the cupcake class wasn't a class. It was kind of semi organized chaos. Everyone had two cupcakes and they just put candy and icing on the table and you decorated the cupcakes. The decorating took about 15 mins. It took 45 mins. to get everyone seated and then cupcakes passed out. I had read online reviews ahead of time and saw some really cute cupcakes. It was a disappointment for sure. I think at least part of the issue was they were selling the class somewhere on board and people were showing up to the class but the crew in the class didn't have them on their sign in sheet so they just kept opening more tables. There were at least 40 people there for the class, the majority were under 10 and many parents did not stay, just dropped their child off.

The sushi class was a lot of fun according to my teens. They love eating sushi and we do make it at home, but they were were more interested in the eating of sushi. They stuffed themselves on their creations and had a great time. 

Organized chaos does not sound like fun.  I’d be happy to pay for a step by step teaching activity, but $30 for frosting and candy doesn’t seem worth it.  I would be disappointed in a 15 minute activity for that price as well.  Maybe we’ll just do the sushi class.

1 minute ago, marci22 said:

The mod on a RC blog said that when he did the class two years ago, someone was allowed to watch without paying. (in case no one else answers you)

ok.  Thanks.  Based on 3monkeys4me’s comments I’m not sure the cupcake class is worth it.  But the sushi sounds fabulous.

3 minutes ago, CharmCity2000 said:

Organized chaos does not sound like fun.  I’d be happy to pay for a step by step teaching activity, but $30 for frosting and candy doesn’t seem worth it.  I would be disappointed in a 15 minute activity for that price as well.  Maybe we’ll just do the sushi class.

I would see if you can find recent reviews for your ship before booking the cupcake class. I did read reviews and see some really cute cupcakes so I do believe at least some of the ships do an actual class. After we had our experience I did find some other negative reviews though. It seems to be a bit hit or miss. 

I haven't personally heard many negative reviews on the sushi class though. And as I said my teens loved it and all three kids want to do it next cruise.