THE SECRETS OF THE NCL HAVEN LUXURY EXPERIENCE

Sthrngary

14 minutes ago, complawyer said:

if you were in a haven and your close friend or relative (brother, sister, mom and dad) couldnt afford the cabin, wouldnt you try and  do the same for them?  

We were in an Owner's Suite on our first Haven cruise (Escape) and our 3 adult children were not.  We did not bring them into the Haven, except to use our suite.  Our very nice butler would let them into our suite if we were not there (with our permission, as we had a pregnant DIL and our DD had a 1 year old).   We wouldn't have considered letting them into the pool or sundeck area, as it wasn't part of what their cabin fare paid for.

As far as our friends who are cruising with us in February, they can easily afford the Haven.  But they choose to spend their money differently than we do.  We enjoy luxury when we travel.  We work hard and enjoy being pampered a little more when we get away..  It's a choice of how we/they spend our money.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, complawyer said:

...if you were in a haven and your close friend or relative (brother, sister, mom and dad) couldnt afford the cabin, wouldnt you try and  do the same for them?

Absolutely not. 

The issue is that the other Haven guests who paid for the Haven would have their experience diminished if people such as yourself suggest bringing non-Haven guests into the Haven.

An alternative is to book the friend/family member in the Haven guests' stateroom. Then, the friend/family member would be a Haven guest and would be rightfully entitled to use the Haven facilities. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, complawyer said:

if all else fails, i would suggest pleading your case to the concierge. he may be sympathetic enough to let your friends join you a few mornings for breakfast or lunch (no guarantee however) 

and although this may sound tacky, maybe slip him or her  or even the hostess a $20. i call it the famous las vegas handshake, and in a whole bunch of places it seems to do the trick .

finally, i dont think any one checks i.d. at the bar or pool area, so try and bring them up for that.just stroll in casually, sit down and order a drink, or get a chair in the pool area. again, no one has ever asked me if we were staying in the haven. you just need the key card to get in.

only caveat is they be really jealous as to how haven passengers get treated, and never speak to you again.  as for the theater, i dont think it's really necessary to take the haven seats, my wife has 2 bad knees and doesnt like to walk back up all those stairs, so sitting with them at a show would be no problem if you dont really need the haven seats

You are wrong on so many levels! If they are not paying for the Haven like the rest of us, they should NOT get any of the perks. Visiting you in your Haven cabin, fine! It’s your cabin and I hope they enjoy the visit. But advocating people sneak non-Haven guest into the pool area and get served drinks is wrong. It is a theft of services that the Haven guest have paid for. Shame on you.

• Like 8

35 minutes ago, complawyer said:

dont get all huffy, it was merely a suggestion. i have been labeled a snob in some other posts, but i wouldnt get all bent out of shape if a haven couple brought up another couple. in most of the times we've been in a haven, (last 6 actual cruises) the pool area was virtually empty, as  was the bar area and the restaurant was only about1/2 full while wealth may indeed have its privileges, if you were in a haven and your close friend or relative (brother, sister, mom and dad) couldnt afford the cabin, wouldnt you try and  do the same for them?  im not talking about the entire cruise, i appreciate the exclusivity,  but  for a couple of days why not. it's like mamas chicken soup. it couldnt hurt 

Theft of service that they didn’t pay for.

Edited by copper004
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, complawyer said:

dont get all huffy, it was merely a suggestion. i have been labeled a snob in some other posts, but i wouldnt get all bent out of shape if a haven couple brought up another couple. in most of the times we've been in a haven, (last 6 actual cruises) the pool area was virtually empty, as  was the bar area and the restaurant was only about1/2 full while wealth may indeed have its privileges, if you were in a haven and your close friend or relative (brother, sister, mom and dad) couldnt afford the cabin, wouldnt you try and  do the same for them?  im not talking about the entire cruise, i appreciate the exclusivity,  but  for a couple of days why not. it's like mamas chicken soup. it couldnt hurt 

No !!! If you are not paying for it you shouldn’t be allowed to enjoy it, while we have paid for it (and we are by no means rich)!  I would never dream of using the facilities if I hadn’t booked the right suite.i would be extremely angry at that situation.  Same with the vibe, do you think that just because you paid for the exclusivities that you can bring in those friends and or family who haven’t?

• Like 3

Complawyer, so I can be clear.  I get you and your are no snob.  You are always very logical and respectful with your comments.  To address some of your points, would I personally bring a person or to in if I could get away with it. YEP, anyone that says different is not being completely honest.  

The issue is you are also risking an embarrassing situation and you can't count on it. One of the staff of the Haven whom name I will not mention, goes out of his way to get non-Haven Guest out of the area.  How do I say this, he is a little to aggressive for my tastes.  Many Haven Guest have complained about paying the premium and for example hot tubs being filled with mostly non-Haven guests.  Happened to me actually, I did not complain.  "He whom is without sin, cast the first stone."  I am not without sin.  

Just know the "Rules to the Game" and carry on.  Let me tell you my biggest problem with CruiseCritic.com.  We all have experience however none of us are truly the experts.  Yet many folks like to come across as the rule maker.  Human nature.  In this situation, if it gets out of hand and someone (not us) take advantage of the situation, we all lose.  

I hope I explained myself.  Your thoughts, feedback and point are well taken.  Thank you.

if you were in a haven and your close friend or relative (brother, sister, mom and dad) couldnt afford the cabin, wouldnt you try and  do the same for them? 

No way, and I have been in that position before.  BTW, the bar, restaurant and pool area being 1/2 full is one of the reasons I shell out for the Haven.  Not interested in fighting for a lounger at the pool or standing at the end of the bar for 15min waiting for a drink. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Absolutely not. 

The issue is that the other Haven guests who paid for the Haven would have their experience diminished if people such as yourself suggest bringing non-Haven guests into the Haven.

An alternative is to book the friend/family member in the Haven guests' stateroom. Then, the friend/family member would be a Haven guest and would be rightfully entitled to use the Haven facilities. 

i really doubt my "total haven experience" would be all that diminished if someone brought a friend or relative up to the pool or bar. besides, how would i even know?

while im not inclined to do it , ive thought about it  , remember the phrase "nobless obligue"

or "no harm no foul"

or here's the scenario: your wife's older brother just passed away he was 75 leaving a 72 year old widow. she has been a sister in law for 50 years and is massively despondent over the loss of her husband. she cannot afford a haven suite, but we thought if we can get her on a cruise, maybe it would cheer her up just a little, or at the very least take her mind off the death.

we cannot afford 2 haven suites, or a 2 bedroom. would your mind change about bringing her up to the haven for breakfast or lunch and the bar under these circumstances?

39 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Complawyer, so I can be clear.  I get you and your are no snob.  You are always very logical and respectful with your comments.  To address some of your points, would I personally bring a person or to in if I could get away with it. YEP, anyone that says different is not being completely honest.  

The issue is you are also risking an embarrassing situation and you can't count on it. One of the staff of the Haven whom name I will not mention, goes out of his way to get non-Haven Guest out of the area.  How do I say this, he is a little to aggressive for my tastes.  Many Haven Guest have complained about paying the premium and for example hot tubs being filled with mostly non-Haven guests.  Happened to me actually, I did not complain.  "He whom is without sin, cast the first stone."  I am not without sin.  

Just know the "Rules to the Game" and carry on.  Let me tell you my biggest problem with CruiseCritic.com.  We all have experience however none of us are truly the experts.  Yet many folks like to come across as the rule maker.  Human nature.  In this situation, if it gets out of hand and someone (not us) take advantage of the situation, we all lose.  

I hope I explained myself.  Your thoughts, feedback and point are well taken.  Thank you.

thank you! kind sir. i try to give much thought to my responses before i put my foot in my mouth. that being said, if we ever find ourselves on the same cruise (haven cabin or not) it would be my pleasure buying you a drink!!! with or without the drink package

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, complawyer said:

i really doubt my "total haven experience" would be all that diminished if someone brought a friend or relative up to the pool or bar. besides, how would i even know?

By bringing others into the Haven, you are making a decision that impacts others. Just because it wouldn't bother you doesn't mean that it wouldn't bother others. 

4 minutes ago, complawyer said:

we cannot afford 2 haven suites, or a 2 bedroom. would your mind change about bringing her up to the haven for breakfast or lunch and the bar under these circumstances?

Again, you are thinking in terms of a single person doing something. If everyone thought only about their particular circumstance, everyone could justify their actions. 

There are probably hundreds (thousands?) of people who may read this thread for Haven information. Is it responsible or irresponsible to suggest bringing non-Haven guests into the Haven?

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, complawyer said:

while im not inclined to do it , ive thought about it  , remember the phrase "nobless obligue"

or "no harm no foul"

or here's the scenario: your wife's older brother just passed away he was 75 leaving a 72 year old widow. she has been a sister in law for 50 years and is massively despondent over the loss of her husband. she cannot afford a haven suite, but we thought if we can get her on a cruise, maybe it would cheer her up just a little, or at the very least take her mind off the death.

No I would not.  However I would ask the concierge in the Haven if I could.  If they said yes I would.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, complawyer said:

or "no harm no foul"

I thought I was politically correct in my previous answers.  Yet you won't let it go.  Let me tell you what is going to happen from experience.  This stream will be shut down.  This subject was not the emphasis of this op-ed.  If I did a good job in writing it and it in any way was helpful to those that have read it.  I would like to ask for a professional courtesy.  PLEASE lets all "Agree to Disagree" on this topic and move on. 

Let me give a new topic, "How much we will enjoy our Haven Vacation when it happens?"  Thank everyone in advance for your assistance.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, complawyer said:

thank you! kind sir. i try to give much thought to my responses before i put my foot in my mouth. that being said, if we ever find ourselves on the same cruise (haven cabin or not) it would be my pleasure buying you a drink!!! with or without the drink package

No way, instead a Cigar if you are into that.  

35 minutes ago, complawyer said:

or "no harm no foul"

No

45 minutes ago, complawyer said:

or "no harm no foul"

You know you are losing this argument when you have to come up with these sad, tear-jerking scenario’s.

On the NCL Escape, on deck 17 & 18 there are 50 Haven cabins (that’s not counting all the Haven cabins in the aft). So if everyone in those cabins had just one friend who had some misfortune in their life on the ship, there are 50 more people in the Haven who have not paid for the enhanced service. You are okay with that? If you were a paying Haven passenger, do you feel 50 additional people using the Haven services who had not paid for it will have no impact on your experience? My scenario is as extreme as yours, shame on both of us. Bottom line, non-Haven guest should be welcomed and entertained in your cabin. They should not use the pools, hot tubs and bar. They chose not to pay for that luxury. The Haven restaurant is different, they are paying for their meal. But keep in mind, they might also be taking seats away from paying Haven passengers who might wish to eat there. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, complawyer said:

100% NO.  Absolutely not. Like I said, Follow the RULES. Haven Guests ONLY.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, davencl said:

No I would not.  However I would ask the concierge in the Haven if I could.  If they said yes I would.

By asking the staff, you put them in the corner. They are suppose to enforce the rules on Haven Guests only but on the other hand they are also suppose to follow your wishes. So do they appease you and break the rules??? What happens when someone reports uninvited guests? Who will get the blame. Certainly Not You.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, complawyer said:

if all else fails, i would suggest pleading your case to the concierge. he may be sympathetic enough to let your friends join you a few mornings for breakfast or lunch (no guarantee however) 

and although this may sound tacky, maybe slip him or her  or even the hostess a $20. i call it the famous las vegas handshake, and in a whole bunch of places it seems to do the trick .

finally, i dont think any one checks i.d. at the bar or pool area, so try and bring them up for that.just stroll in casually, sit down and order a drink, or get a chair in the pool area. again, no one has ever asked me if we were staying in the haven. you just need the key card to get in.

only caveat is they be really jealous as to how haven passengers get treated, and never speak to you again.  as for the theater, i dont think it's really necessary to take the haven seats, my wife has 2 bad knees and doesnt like to walk back up all those stairs, so sitting with them at a show would be no problem if you dont really need the haven seats

I just think this is wrong. The Haven is for Haven guests who pay an arm and a leg to stay there. They pay for all the perks. In return they get (or are supposed to) fewer people, a more serene quiet experience. If only one person did this, no it would not affect anyone else. But it would still be wrong. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Disagree. I would NOT try and sneak anyone inn who did not pay for the privilege--it has nothing at all to do with embarrassment at potentially getting caught. While I may not be without sin in other areas, I totally am without this particular type of sin.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Greenpea2 said:

Disagree. I would NOT try and sneak anyone inn who did not pay for the privilege--it has nothing at all to do with embarrassment at potentially getting caught. While I may not be without sin in other areas, I totally am without this particular type of sin.

You are right and I did not phase it correctly.  I is wrong to bring folks into the Haven or Retreat or Yacht Club or any other exclusive area. It is cheating the system.  I was trying to use a bit of "If You Do, It May Embarrass You Emotionally". 

I did not write it correctly, you were right to both call me out on it.  I will use better words to attempt to express myself in the future.  Thank you for taking the time to respond. 

• Like 1

Instead of sneaking your friends or family  into the Haven, pay to upgrade them to the Haven. I did just that a few years ago.

If you can’t afford that, then maybe downgrade yourself and make their cruise an extra special one with specialty dining and shore excursions they otherwise would not have been able to afford. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, complawyer said:

No, I would not.  If  you can't afford to pay for her a haven suite, then your best option is to book a different cabin for yourselves that affords you the opportunity to share the total cruise experience with her.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, nhtravels said:

I'm sorry that my original question has caused such a stir.  Again, it was not my intention to bring our friends into the Haven.  

No issue.  It is not such a bad topic to discuss.  It just means folks see the value in the Haven.  Folks are aloud to have an opinion.