THE SECRETS OF THE NCL HAVEN LUXURY EXPERIENCE

Sthrngary

6 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Bedding wasn't a real deal breaker, but, I found something that might be.

According to my research, the courtyard area on the Getaway does not have a retractable roof.  My "tentative cruise" is late March out of NYC-Bahamas.  It's not "sitting in the sun" weather yet so that enclosure would have been a big selling point.

Maybe I am wrong?

I appreciate your questions.  I took your bedding situation maybe to seriously and it lead to some confusion of setting expectations to high.  It is clear you are somewhat new to the Haven and maybe NCL in general.  So I will attempt to answer your question to the best of my abilities.

I went on the Haven on the NCL Getaway, November of 2019.  I stayed in a Haven Spa Suite.  I know the ship very well.  You are right, the Getaway did not have a Haven retractable roof.  It also did not have Hot Tubs on the Haven sundeck.  Yet I loved every part of my experience on that ship.  My review under my name on Cruise Critic indicates that.

My next cruise before I had four cruise cancelations, was on the Encore, again in the Haven.  One of the reason's I choose the Encore was the Haven Observation Lounge, and the retractable roof.  We were originally going to Alaska.  I also loved it was a new ship.  Several cancelations later, I rebooked on the Joy.  Sister ship to Encore and Bliss.  Retractable roof, observation deck, ect.  

As you evaluate, yes it is important to look at all these things.  The time of the year, weather and the list goes on.  IMHO, you will love it either way.  I hope I was helpful.

@Sthrngary

Yes, very helpful.  I'm not new to NCL at all.  We're platinum. 

We've never thought about booking a Haven because "the amenitities" would go to waste.  But on our currently booked cruise, the price of the forward facing Havens is really good (I know...long walk.  No problem...good exercise!).  And I'd love a large cabin.

6 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

@Sthrngary

We've never thought about booking a Haven because "the amenitities" would go to waste.  But on our currently booked cruise, the price of the forward facing Havens is really good (I know...long walk.  No problem...good exercise!).  And I'd love a large cabin.

Platinum, my lord, royalty.  I am sorry for saying that.  On the Haven, I also was in a Suite outside the Haven Courtyard.  To some, it was not as enjoyable.  To my wife, it was just fine.  So I know how you feel.  When I wrote this original post on this stream, my goal was to inform and educate everyone with an interest how to leverage the Haven Amenities.  This is my hobby in my retirement.  To find luxury products and services; research to an extreme.  Then I purchase them to enjoy.  That type of detailed consumer based information is lacking.  

We love the Haven because it gives us the best of both worlds.  We at age 60 plus also love the waterslides, activities centers, main pool deck and of course the shows.  When the crowds get to us and we want quiet, we go to the Haven Courtyard.  We also LOVE the Haven Bar and Restaurant.  The food is great but the real enjoyment is, it is so small we again can have a relationship with our servers like the old days.  You would get that feeling with your cruising experiences.

Happy to help with any other questions you have.  As you can see, I do take it seriously.  Why not, there is a premium and we all deserve to gain our respective value.  We just have to know what is acceptable and not.  Cruise well.

• Like 1

@Sthrngary

So, educate me.

Dining...what are the hours the restaurants are open?  Especially important...how early for dinner?

Do they do "special orders" and is the fish good?

Does one need "to dress" or is casual ok?

Is there sort of a buffet in the morning?

For the record, pre-pandemic we ate out 6 times a week.  We love the buffet because...well, because it's a novelty to us (no Golden Corals in NYC).  So, I need to hear really good things about the restaurant!

3 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

@Sthrngary

So, educate me.

Dining...what are the hours the restaurants are open?  Especially important...how early for dinner?

For the record, pre-pandemic we ate out 6 times a week.  We love the buffet because...well, because it's a novelty to us (no Golden Corals in NYC).  So, I need to hear really good things about the restaurant!

They open at 5:30P

You can ask for special orders, and they try, but I would say don't go in expecting.  I think the fish is as good or better then what is in the specialty restaurants.
I wore polo shirts and shorts with shoes (not sandals) and never got a second look.

There is a small area in the morning that has continental style fair, but it is a sit down for the eggs, etc.  I personally had breakfast on my balcony every day, since you can order off the haven restaurant menu for no extra charge.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

@Sthrngary

So, educate me.

You are so funny.  I am from Huntington, NY.  Now I live in the great state of Alabama.  Hell of a transition.  I do love me some Golden Coral though.  Ok, on to your topic:

1. If my memory serves me, the Haven Restaurant opens at 07:00 AM.  Also, since you have the right kind of Roomy Suite.  Let your butler know if you order any meal to the suite, including breakfast, to only get it from the Haven Menu and Restaurant.  SOOO, much better then regular room service menu.
  2. Special orders.  This one is tricky.  Sometimes.  You can ask however ask the day or night before so they have time to prepare.  One guest demanded special dishes as they sat down and made a seen.  They were told NO.  You can also ask for items from the Main Dining room, again, give them a heads up and be nice.  I know you will.
  3. I had the fish and it was lovely.  I like fish very much but also like beef.  It also was lovely.
  4. A little information about the Haven restaurant.  There menus never change.  Where when you are on a Celebrity Retreat cruise with their suites restaurant the Lumena, they change every day. That is why I space out my Specialty Restaurant dining with the Haven. 
  5. On dress, wow has that been a topic.  Bathing suites would not cool but I would then order in the courtyard by the pool.  Limited menu.  Or I would order through my butler in my suite.  Other then that, casual.  If we were on a Crystal Cruises ship, it would be Business Casual.  Hope that answers this one.  
  6. Buffet in the Morning?  Kind of.  There is a small area on the Getaway in the Haven Dining room where they have cereals, smoked salmon, milk, fruit and a few other things.  You can also order off the menu.  I do both because I love smoked salmon.  Nice spread, no huge.  On the larger NCL ships it is located in the Haven Observation Lounge and is much larger. 

I think that covers your questions.  Hope it was helpful. 

• Like 1

sthrngary does a fantastic job discussing the haven experience, but i thought i might add a few points,

hope they help

casual is more than ok. like strngary i usually am in jeans and a printed t-shirt. that's part of the allure of ncl..freestyle dining. only difference is le bistro which requires men to wear a collared shirt. consequently, it's not one of my favorites and i avoid it. we even get a free dinner at either cagney's or le bistro, but even free is not an inducement to eat there

the regular buffet is open with many, many choices for breakfast, but since you're staying in a haven, you would be doing yourself a major disservice  by not using the haven restaurant for either breakfast or lunch,  or both.  you can log on and check out the haven menu's . breakfast is to die for and there is also a small buffet . you can get both. it's also nice to start the breakfast with a glass of champagne or a mimosa.

i also have the butler bring us a carafe of coffee, hot water, tea bags and assorted croissants, sweet rolls and muffins to the room at about 7 a.m.

my understanding is that you can for a meal from any of the different restaurants while you are in the haven. 

im not sure if it's still offered, but i ordered the sea bass at cagney's and it was terrific. im not a big fan of salmon. 

if you're into sushi, the sushi bar is good, so you should give it a try.

for many years, i usually booked a mini-suite (now called club suites, but a rose by any other name)

one year, with the promotions being offered, the cost of a haven wasnt much higher than the mini without the goodies. that as my 1st big mistake. it was the getaway (a ship i absolutely love) and now, if i cant or dont book a haven my wife wont even consider going (although i have also become spoiled with the haven)

regardless, have a great trip and of course "BON VOYAGE"

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

The Haven restaurant is cruise casual no matter the time. 

Cruise Casual: the Freedom of Freestyle Cruising

Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men. Swimwear is acceptable at the buffet and outdoor restaurant, but a shirt or a cover-up and footwear are required.

Be sure to pack a sweater - the air conditioning can be chilly. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants.

Please Note: We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants.

1 minute ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Now, just so I know the protocol (never in life used room service).....is there an extra charge?  Are you supposed to tip when the food comes?

as i understand it, room service is free for haven guests. if it's your regular butler,  just tip him at the end of the cruise. 

2 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Now, just so I know the protocol (never in life used room service).....is there an extra charge? 

Haven guests are not charged for room service. If ordering from a specialty restaurant, you are charged as if you were in the restaurant (SDP, a la carte, etc.).

3 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Are you supposed to tip when the food comes?

Your choice.  

4 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Now, just so I know the protocol (never in life used room service).....is there an extra charge?  Are you supposed to tip when the food comes?

In Haven room service is included.  Your butler will handle room service, and you should be tipping them, either at the beginning, end, or throughout the cruise.  Of course, this is always a subject that starts battles on this site, so I will just say that IMHO you should tip them at some point for the amazing service you will get.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SkierRobUMN said:

We are doing our first Haven cruise in January and while the email pre-Cruise requests sound great in theory, I will take them with a grain of salt even if I get an email reply saying they can do something. 

There are plenty of opportunities for a missed communication between shoreside and the ship, or request gets lost, or they get too busy to fulfill the request on the ship. 

So we’ll just go in with low expectations and hope to be surprised and delighted. 

Sorry but u disagree.   I'm paying too much money for low expectations for a REASONABLE request. 

On my last cruise (granted it was a jewel class suite w Butler and not Haven) the Butler told me no when we asked for either sugar free or savory afternoon snacks for my diabetic wife.  I don't think that's asking too much for the Haven nor do I think we should we expect for then to say no.

I think maybe reasonable expectations is appropriate.   There'd nothing wrong with expecting what you're paying for and nothing more. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yesimapirate said:

Sorry but u disagree.   I'm paying too much money for low expectations for a REASONABLE request. 

On my last cruise (granted it was a jewel class suite w Butler and not Haven) the Butler told me no when we asked for either sugar free or savory afternoon snacks for my diabetic wife.  I don't think that's asking too much for the Haven nor do I think we should we expect for then to say no.

I think maybe reasonable expectations is appropriate.   There'd nothing wrong with expecting what you're paying for and nothing more. 

This is a very, very important point.  I hope others read your post.  I have had butlers on NCL, Celebrity and soon to be Crystal Cruises.  They are all NOT MADE THE SAME.  This gave me a challenge to come up with a solution.  When I did, I had a much better result from this notion of Hit/Miss butlers.  Yet, when I share my solution, I have taken so much heat on social media that I have hesitated to bring it back up.  Today I am in a feisty mood so what the heck.  Let the mean comments begin.

There are two examples I have heard today that I am addressing.  The first was yours about the Butler not accommodating you on food.  The second was a person with a Haven Two Bedroom Family Villa being told no to an egg crate mattress toper for the second bedroom.  On both of these situation, I have gotten no pushback on the food issues.  My wife and I were on Keto on the last cruise, we explained what that meant and the butler when over the top to accommodate us.  We asked for the egg crate mattress toper for the couch on another cruise, it was handled without asking a second time.  

Now what do I do that is so controversial.  I write a letter to my butler pre-cruise and give it to them on day one.  If I can't find them when I enter my room, I call the Haven Desk and ask them come come by at soon as they are available.  In the letter I am kind, understanding and clear.  I never demand anything.  I ask extremely nicely.  Every item above plus Water for My CPAP and much much more.  

THEN, here is comes, get ready for it.  I put $150.00 ($100.00 is fine, I give more because I choose to)  in the envelope so they get part of their tip upfront. I learned that the Butlers do not participate in the "Pre-Cruise Gratuities" we add in when we book.  I talked to many butlers whom in the nicest why possible told me, their guest many times leave note even knowing that.  So they get no tip.  This made me begin this practice.  From that day forward, every single butler was stellar.  Not one exception.  ALSO, every time I tell this story I get hateful comments on folks rules for tipping an gratuities.  

The other thing I have found out is the Butlers on the bigger ships seem to be more accommodating then those on the smaller ones.  That is why I rarely will have a Haven Suite unless it is a bigger ship with a dedicated Haven Restaurant and Bar.  Just my two cents.  All of you get to do what you want to do and I promise I won't criticize it. Cruise well everyone.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

I do love me some Golden Coral though.  

Oh...Sthrngary...you had me in your corner until this comment, LOL.  

Seriously, I've said it before this is a fantastic thread for those considering or already chosen the Haven for pointers and ideas.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

This is a very, very important point.  I hope others read your post.  I have had butlers on NCL, Celebrity and soon to be Crystal Cruises.  They are all NOT MADE THE SAME.  This gave me a challenge to come up with a solution.  When I did, I had a much better result from this notion of Hit/Miss butlers.  Yet, when I share my solution, I have taken so much heat on social media that I have hesitated to bring it back up.  Today I am in a feisty mood so what the heck.  Let the mean comments begin.

There are two examples I have heard today that I am addressing.  The first was yours about the Butler not accommodating you on food.  The second was a person with a Haven Two Bedroom Family Villa being told no to an egg crate mattress toper for the second bedroom.  On both of these situation, I have gotten no pushback on the food issues.  My wife and I were on Keto on the last cruise, we explained what that meant and the butler when over the top to accommodate us.  We asked for the egg crate mattress toper for the couch on another cruise, it was handled without asking a second time.  

Now what do I do that is so controversial.  I write a letter to my butler pre-cruise and give it to them on day one.  If I can't find them when I enter my room, I call the Haven Desk and ask them come come by at soon as they are available.  In the letter I am kind, understanding and clear.  I never demand anything.  I ask extremely nicely.  Every item above plus Water for My CPAP and much much more.  

THEN, here is comes, get ready for it.  I put $150.00 ($100.00 is fine, I give more because I choose to)  in the envelope so they get part of their tip upfront. I learned that the Butlers do not participate in the "Pre-Cruise Gratuities" we add in when we book.  I talked to many butlers whom in the nicest why possible told me, their guest many times leave note even knowing that.  So they get no tip.  This made me begin this practice.  From that day forward, every single butler was stellar.  Not one exception.  ALSO, every time I tell this story I get hateful comments on folks rules for tipping an gratuities.  

The other thing I have found out is the Butlers on the bigger ships seem to be more accommodating then those on the smaller ones.  That is why I rarely will have a Haven Suite unless it is a bigger ship with a dedicated Haven Restaurant and Bar.  Just my two cents.  All of you get to do what you want to do and I promise I won't criticize it. Cruise well everyone.

You as always are very helpful, I truly appreciate you experience with the Haven.

We have not tipped our butler only once and that's because we saw him 3 times in a week. Day we arrived, day I requested soup and crackers for our son who was under the weather and I wanted him to eat (was like pulling teeth) I told him to keep it 3 hours and 2 calls later I went to the buffet and got him something myself, and on the last day to check on us :(.

We tip him accordingly as with others. We also tip the pool side butler which I think may be missed sometimes. He brings around nice cold fresh fruit and keeps the coffee pot full :).

Everybody keep asking good questions and sthrngary keep those answers coming.

Have a great day and stay safe.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

@Sthrngary

This is a very good video review of the Getaway Haven, which should answer a lot of your questions. He also reviews five different Haven Suites, but unfortunately, not the forward facing suite.  

• Like 3

just a little warning. a few years back, we booked the forward facing penthouse suite on the getaway while we loved the room and the entire ship, every morning when it docked, we could hear the anchor being lowered. at 6 am this was extremely annoying

50 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I've done it as well,  once I get the feel of the butler.   You can usually tell if they're going to be attentive based on the first conversation,  at which point I throw in the "oh, I almost forgot....." and then tip.

One little extra tip on tipping, when I tip at the beginning, I add a comment along the lines of "I was hoping you'd get some shore leave this week and want you to able to enjoy the port as much as we do".  First, it helps you connect on a personal level which in turn usually results in better service.  Secondly,  they often open up and give some great advice on the ports and inside info you may have overlooked while planning.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I booked the Deluxe Owner's Suit on Encore for my late August Trip to Alaska from Seattle.  As we are not "sophisticated drinkers"  I just accepted the "free at Sea" offer for the beverage package for the 3 of us that simply requires us to pay the "gratuities".  I did this so we didn't worry about what and when we might want to have a drink in the Haven or anywhere on the ship.  Thanks to this Message Board, I was  also made aware of, and have requested the Three Bottles of liquor that are included with the DOS.  It also appears I can bring bottles of wine from my cellar on board and pay a $15 corkage fee (which is far less than the price of a premium wine on board)?  

What I am confused with is what non-alcoholic drinks are included in the "adult beverage package" (not the Premium Plus package) and whether fresh squeezed juices, Vitamin Water (or energy drinks) soda's, extra bottle water are included either with the DOS or the adult beverage package?  Some of the posts seem to suggest bottled water is an extra charge, a soda package might be need to include soft drinks, or fresh squeezed juices are not generally offered (maybe they are available in the Haven)?  I recall that mixers are included with the bottles in the DOS, but might I be out of line to request the Butler to stock the room with Vitamin Water and juices, of can I request a bottle water or energy drink while wandering the ship as I leave for an excursion?  I certainly don't mind paying for non-alcoholic drinks or I could simply get creative and order a Rum and Pepsi, but ask the bartender to hold the Rum 😉    

I have never sailed on Norwegian and only been on Three Cruises in my life, so I don't have much experience with what to expect and where to get the information.  One of the other Posts mentioned tipping the Butler early in the stay.  I like that.  I was also thinking of just a small gift in the beginning to set the relationship.