Noordam - A Passage to New Zealand

richwmn

Tonight's Entertainment

It is Wednesday, we are somewhere in the Pacific and it is a Sea Day

On the Main Stage aka World Stage we had David Meyer, listed as Unique Musical Artistry.

What we had was the on board band with a performer on an instrument that was basically a synthesizer. I believe I have seen him perform before and he does put on a pretty good show. He started with Babba O'Riley by the Who, and continued from there. The whole show was good. For two of the songs, his wife came out and did an interpretive dance which was pretty good.

After the World Stage show I stopped by Billboard on Board. They were doing a '60's set and doing a better job of it. I don't know if it was because they were getiing used to each other, since they just started together 9 days ago. At any rate, the show was a bit better and they did have some audience participation.

Next was BB King. As alway, the show was very good. All the musicians were very good and performed well together. The selection of songs was good and performed well. They had a pretty good crowd and many up on hhe dance floor.

All in all a good night of entertainment.

7 hours ago, richwmn said:

Tonight's Entertainment

After the World Stage show I stopped by Billboard on Board. They were doing a '60's set and doing a better job of it. I don't know if it was because they were getiing used to each other, since they just started together 9 days ago. At any rate, the show was a bit better and they did have some audience participation.

Any chance you might find out the piano players' names in Billboard Onboard? Thanks!

Edited by taxmantoo

Today is our 7th day at sea, second in this leg.

An activity not noted on the schedule is the Mariners Luncheon today. This is a bit early, generally they are at the end of the cruise but this cruise is port intensive at the end so why not go ahead and do it. Medallion Ceremony is at 10:30, followed by lunch at 11:00 and 1:00

20191024_075537.jpg

20191024_075605.jpg

14 hours ago, taxmantoo said:

Any chance you might find out the piano players' names in Billboard Onboard? Thanks!

Tonight's entertainment

On the main stage we have the Noordam Singers and Dancers (yes they still exist) in a show called 1000 Steps. The singers were good and the dancers work well together. It seemed to be a well constructed show, performed well.

In Billboard, Pianists Justin and Anderson were doing a Music Trivia Session, playing songs from artists that came to the US from elsewhere and wanting the answer to be the Artist's name and where they were from. They played the whole song which made the trivia session last quite a while. They did do a good job of engaging the audience again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Another beautiful day on Noordam. Today's schedule is attached. Of note is that we cross the equator today. The shellback ceremony is at 10:30, should be a great time.

The shellback ceremony/crossing the equator is always fun.

I hope you get a good view point and enjoy it 😄 

Thanks too for the reports on entertainment, etc.  It's very encouraging for our cruise next year  which has a lot of sea days as yours does

5 hours ago, richwmn said:

Noordam has crossed the equator. We are now in the Southern Hemisphere. A fun ceremony.

Pictures in a bit.

Actually, we don’t cross the equator until approx. 8 pm tonight, in about three hours, per the captain. But the ceremony, though a little early, was a blast!

This is such a wonderful and active forum! My brother was on the ship, just the first part to Hawaii. Said it was relaxing in spite of the rocky seas!

In a few weeks I’ll be boarding the Nieuw Statendam and have dietary restrictions. Does anyone have them in this forum and how did the Noordam accommodate you? Mine is shellfish allergy and Celiac disease. Thank you!

8 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

What actually happens during the ceremony.  It appears some people are standing near the pool...?

We've only had the "crossing the Arctic Circle" ceremony... brrrrrr. 😮

Thanks!

GC

Here's an interesting Wikipedia entry about the ceremony: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line-crossing_ceremony

On HAL, it's a short, fun skit that celebrates crossing the line that borrows from some of the described activities.  They are a lot of fun to watch and usually passengers get a certificate of crossing the equator signed by the captain and King Neptune.