What currency to use?

Hello everyone,

I have been looking all around the forums and can't really find an answer. So I am hoping someone here can help me.

We will be on the Ovation of the Seas in February and would like to put cash on our card.  What currency do we use, AUD or USD?

Thanks for all your help

Aileen

Charges on Ovation will be in $USD. I personally don't use travel cards as they are poor value once you pay loading commission and the exchange rate is poor compared to regular credit cards and debit cards. The only advantage to a travel card is a locked in rate although this is only of value if you are confident the value of the $AUD will drop significantly between now and when you travel.

What I do? Pre-pay everything you can before you leave and settle the onboard account with a credit card or debit card and do not convert to your local currency ($AUD) if they ask as you will be hit with a double exchange cost.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need further clarification.

Edited by Antric
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sillysim said:

Hello everyone,

I have been looking all around the forums and can't really find an answer. So I am hoping someone here can help me.

We will be on the Ovation of the Seas in February and would like to put cash on our card.  What currency do we use, AUD or USD?

Thanks for all your help

Aileen

Hey sillysim, welcome to cruise critic.

They will take your money in anyway they can get it.

Not sure of the question ,do you want to setup a credit card account and pay with cash?

The ship is $US .If you give them $AU cash the exchange rate is not so good but OK.

If you want to pay a cash account only.When you get on the ship ,You can go to guest service and put a credit on your account.
I have never done it ,so I’m not sure .  you can put a cash credit on your account and when it runs out .The bar or whatever will serve you but will  politely tell you your money has run out and you need to top it up.

Once again I’m not sure but I believe the first payment needs to be$US500 and you can top it up$50 at a time.

The money is totally refundable.

The last night just go to guest service and settle your account.

By far a credit card is the best way.

Ask Royal Caribbean forum to be sure.

Edited by Chiliburn
  • Like 1

We never spend big dollars on ship.. Maybe pre order and pay things you want on-line before you go. (Drink/dining/excursions) We always leave our credit card number when we check-in, and elect to have our bank do the conversion at OUR banks rate on the day.. Your card will normally processed in USA..  If you have a card with no foreign transaction fees, or currency conversion fees use it... (We use ING debit with no fees) ..

To confuse you further, some ppl  phone RCI and pre buy credit for on-board account at a better rate..  Looks good, but not worth messing around if on board spending is minimal..

Sue and Phil

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Big Kev said:

We never spend big dollars on ship.. Maybe pre order and pay things you want on-line before you go. (Drink/dining/excursions) We always leave our credit card number when we check-in, and elect to have our bank do the conversion at OUR banks rate on the day.. Your card will normally processed in USA..  If you have a card with no foreign transaction fees, or currency conversion fees use it... (We use ING debit with no fees) ..

To confuse you further, some ppl  phone RCI and pre buy credit for on-board account at a better rate..  Looks good, but not worth messing around if on board spending is minimal..

Sue and Phil

1 hour ago, Big Kev said:

Sue and Phil

I forgot you can call Royal Caribbean and put a cash advance or buy your self a cash gift online.

The credit is processed in Sydney so no international transaction fees for us in Australia 

Edited by Chiliburn
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

On RCI in Australia, is this the default or do you have to request it somewhere?

It’s in the cruise planner when you are doing your boarding pass details and you set up a account .

It asks who you want to convert the money RC or your credit card provider.

The correct answer is your credit card provider.

To save just a hundred, assuming you have a maximum 0 rate card, you'd need to have spent $3300 onboard. And for hundreds, that would be a minimum of $6600 onboard spending.

You'd have to be a really big spender to achieve that saving... and if you are spending that much, you're probably not concerned about saving a few per cent.