Canceling a cruise with NO insurance

maryhou

Today is final payment for our cruise 12/28 with Carnival.  We paid for our adult children to join us.  They(our son & his girlfriend) decided to get two dogs...... they told us yesterday that they weren't going to be able to go on the cruise now because of the dogs.  We booked with a travel agency and I was curious if I should try to cancel through them or have them transfer my booking to Carnival and deal with them directly.  I'm still trying to wrap my head around this..... I am NOT a happy camper.  I am hoping to get the majority of my money back, praying and keeping my fingers crossed.  Have you had to cancel before?  Did you get killed with penalties? 

You have to go through the travel agency, and get on it right away.  You should get all of your money back unless you booked Early Saver, in which case you will forfeit $50pp and the rest of the deposit will be held as a future cruise credit.  EM

• Like 1

It depends on the type of booking and which country, but in the US, prior to final payment you may get everything back, including the deposit (although some lines now make the deposit nonrefundable about 30 days before final payment).  But some "saver" fares might have a deposit that's nonrefundable from the outset. I'm not aware of any line that will charge you more than the deposit in penalties if that's all you've paid to date. After final payment the cancellation penalty increases incrementally as sailing date nears, starting at the deposit amount/25% of the fare, then increasing to 50%, 75% and then 100% penalty just a couple of weeks before sailing.

I don't know Carnival's specific rules regarding deposits and refunds, but read your contract and call your travel agent immediately.

Edited by Underwatr

Travel agency due date was October 4th so we paid them but when I called Carnival they said final date is today...... hopefully it will all work out.  Would the future cruise credit be right through Carnival or would I have to use the same travel agency?   SHould I just transfer my booking from TA to Carnival, would that make my life any easier?

The credit will be from Carnival, usable on Carnival. It shouldn't mention your travel agent.  No point in transferring the booking at this point.

Travel agents often ask for your final payment a few days ahead of the line's deadline as a courtesy to make sure you remember and don't have issues with the card on the day of payment.

Since final payment is DUE TODAY, you should still meet the refundability of it being before final payment, even though you've paid in full. It's not a function of whether you've paid - it's a function of the date. If your original booking was refundable until final payment date you should get all your money back if you cancel TODAY.

Woof woof, all you can do is reach out to TA and Carnival and see what are your options.   

If it was me, I'd get a sitter.  We've had dogs and cats for decades, as much as they are part of our family they are just a dog and cat, they were still there when we came home.   You can't put your vacations on hold because of a dog or cat, kids, well that is something else entirely, LOL

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

Woof woof, all you can do is reach out to TA and Carnival and see what are your options.   

If it was me, I'd get a sitter.  We've had dogs and cats for decades, as much as they are part of our family they are just a dog and cat, they were still there when we came home.   You can't put your vacations on hold because of a dog or cat, kids, well that is something else entirely, LOL

I told them that.  They had gotten a dog a few weeks ago and they had someone to watch it.  Then this weekend one of it's siblings were returned because of their child having severe allergies.  Anyhow, they ended up taking that one as well........  young adults UGH!!  

Thanks for your advice, I called and after over an hour on hold of/on with travel agency he asked to call me back.  Carnival agreed to transfer my son into the second room and cancel her with no fees.  So now the only person not going is the girlfriend and it looks like I should get a refund minus the $50 deposit and I am very happy with that.  I still haven't gotten that in writing yet.  He said he'd send paperwork once he receives it from Carnival.  

• Like 4

There is no reason or advantage to you to transfer the booking from the TA to the cruise line.  Besides, without a valid reason such as poor service or other related issue with the TA, most cruise lines would hesitate to take the booking directly as the booking is registered with the TA when you book through them and the TA is relied on to then manage that booking.

That being said, contact your TA immediately to initiate the cancellation.  Although they may have processed the payment in advance, the time of 11:59 PM on the actual due date is the recognized final payment time and as long as the cruise line is notified of the cancellation prior to that time and date the booking will be cancelled and any funds paid less any cancellation fees imposed by the cruise line (or separately by the TA) will be refunded.

As mentioned TA's typically request final payment in advance as a protection to you with your booking (and them) should there be any payment processing issues with your credit card, etc., so as to allow enough time to resolve that prior to the final payment deadline.

Unless you had cancel for any reason (which doesn't typically refund at 100% anyhow), acquisition of a dog would not be a covered excuse for cancelling.  

Is there a reason you didn't buy insurance?  What would you do if you fell ill or had an accident and needed to be helicoptered off the ship?  I don't buy the ship insurance, there are numerous sites that offer better coverage for less money.

And I'd not be likely to ever invite my child and their friend on a holiday again after a stunt like that.

2 hours ago, ducklite said:

Unless you had cancel for any reason (which doesn't typically refund at 100% anyhow), acquisition of a dog would not be a covered excuse for cancelling.  

Is there a reason you didn't buy insurance?  What would you do if you fell ill or had an accident and needed to be helicoptered off the ship?  I don't buy the ship insurance, there are numerous sites that offer better coverage for less money.

And I'd not be likely to ever invite my child and their friend on a holiday again after a stunt like that.

I think there may be a lot of people who don't realize that the value of the insurance is not just with refunding money in case of a cancellation pre-cruise, but extends to the cruise itself for a number of situations that could arise during the trip as well.  And I agree that in most cases third party, non-ship sponsored, policies are better in their coverage from date of purchase until back home from the cruise.