WiFi Calling for texts

PaperSniper4

I have never used WiFi calling except to see if it works on my phone. It does.  I'd like to use WiFi calling on our cruise next month to possibly receive and/or end emergency texts.

My phone is a Galaxy J3 Samsung Android phone. I have only the Platinum Loyalty minutes and no extra internet package

It is my understanding I need to do these 3 steps to make texting possible while on board:
  1. Turn airplane mode ON
  2. Turn WiFi connection on, and connect to the ship's WiFi.
  3. Enable WiFi calling on my phone.

I plan to log onto the ship's Wifi for about 20 minutes early each morning with my phone to check for text messages, and again possibly at other times.

I believe I need to have done the 3 steps above to RECEIVE a text as soon as it's sent. I do not plan to remain connected to the ship's WiFi constantly; doesn't that use up my (loyalty) minutes? 

Q1. If someone sends me a text and I am NOT connected at that time, will the text appear on my phone once I have completed the 3 steps above? Will it indicate the sender's time when the text was sent  (not the time I receive it)?

Q2. I will probably also log on to the ship's WiFi using my laptop to check for emails. Or can I only be logged onto the ship's Wifi with one device at a time? Assume I have only the Platinum Loyalty minutes and no extra internet package.

Sorry about the ignorant questions.....but I am, well ignorant! <g>

Doug

7 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

I have never used WiFi calling except to see if it works on my phone. It does.  I'd like to use WiFi calling on our cruise next month to possibly receive and/or end emergency texts.

My phone is a Galaxy J3 Samsung Android phone. I have only the Platinum Loyalty minutes and no extra internet package

It is my understanding I need to do these 3 steps to make texting possible while on board:
  1. Turn airplane mode ON
  2. Turn WiFi connection on, and connect to the ship's WiFi.
  3. Enable WiFi calling on my phone.

OKAY

I plan to log onto the ship's Wifi for about 20 minutes early each morning with my phone to check for text messages, and again possibly at other times.

I believe I need to have done the 3 steps above to RECEIVE a text as soon as it's sent. I do not plan to remain connected to the ship's WiFi constantly; doesn't that use up my (loyalty) minutes? 

YES, it would use them up quickly if you do not logoff.

Q1. If someone sends me a text and I am NOT connected at that time, will the text appear on my phone once I have completed the 3 steps above? Will it indicate the sender's time when the text was sent  (not the time I receive it)?

YES, same as if you turn phone off on land or battery dies. 

Q2. I will probably also log on to the ship's WiFi using my laptop to check for emails. Or can I only be logged onto the ship's Wifi with one device at a time? Assume I have only the Platinum Loyalty minutes and no extra internet package.

One device at a time.

Sorry about the ignorant questions.....but I am, well ignorant! <g>

Doug

You mentioned Wifi calling in your message, but then never actually wrote about calling in the detail steps.  Calling and texting are two different things.  A Wifi call will quickly use up your minutes depending on how long you talk.

Edited by steelers36

The ship's internet doesn't care how long a text is or has been "pending" it's just sending and receiving TCP/IP packets.

Your cellphone provider may or may not.  Ask them.

The person sending the text is likely to get confused/frustrated if the text remains "pending" for more than a few minutes.  Tell them what's going on ahead of time.

16 hours ago, steelers36 said:

You mentioned Wifi calling in your message, but then never actually wrote about calling in the detail steps.  Calling and texting are two different things.  A Wifi call will quickly use up your minutes depending on how long you talk.

Yeah, I meant to add I did not plan on talking. Heck, I rarely talk on the phone anytime. All I plan on using is the text option on the process labeled "WiFi Calling" on my phone. I know a quickie text takes milliseconds to send; much shorter than even the shortest voice call.

So, Mr Steelers, thank for showing I am not quite as ignorant as I thought before I posted! I appreciate the confirmation.

Doug

15 hours ago, Haboob said:

The ship's internet doesn't care how long a text is or has been "pending" it's just sending and receiving TCP/IP packets.

Your cellphone provider may or may not.  Ask them.

The person sending the text is likely to get confused/frustrated if the text remains "pending" for more than a few minutes.  Tell them what's going on ahead of time.

Good point, and I plan to do just that. I also am going to remind them if they have not received a reply from me over 12/24 hours to attempt to notify me using an alternate method, like calling Princess and seeking help. I can't think of any emergency that might arise that cannot wait 24 hours for them to get a reply from me since we're on a cruise anyway. However, your point is extremely important and I will remind my house sitter and family.

As long as you log off the internet and turn off wifi, it doesn't matter what is running, as there is no internet connection for it to use.

Turning off Mail Fetch could be important if you are ever in a situation with limited data AMOUNT, not time.  Like if you get a local sim card in some other country.  You don't want to use up your data getting spam emails.

You should be sure to have WiFi calling set up before getting on the ship.  Do it at home before you head to the airport, or do it in the hotel the night before.

Anyone sending you a text likely won't see a pending delivery.  Once the phone hands the text off to the carrier it's considered sent.  What they won't see is a "read" tag, if the messaging apps on both ends support that, until you actually read the message.

I learned the hard way, that you have to “set up” for wifi calling on your phone, before you travel.  You can not set it up over wifi...you have to be within your home carrier’s service area to first enable it.  Then whenever you have wifi, you can enable and use it.

At least that was my experience... I 

2 hours ago, bob brown said:

I learned the hard way, that you have to “set up” for wifi calling on your phone, before you travel.  You can not set it up over wifi...you have to be within your home carrier’s service area to first enable it.  Then whenever you have wifi, you can enable and use it.

This would be very significant. Can anyone confirm? I have an Android phone and AT&T service.

Doing that I suppose I won't be "out of contact" for more than 12 hours or so the day we sail. I'd switch over to WiFi calling (for my texts) that morning while still in FLL and within range of the cell towers.....probably while waiting for our bus to the ship's departure terminal. But if Bob's kind post is verified for AT&T and my J320 Galaxy Phone,  I'd really want to do it early to be sure I'd not forget. I think I may have forgotten other important stuff.....but I am not sure; may have forgotten!😮😉

It's not a matter of when you switch over but whether you set it up while in your home territory.  Once you set it up you don't have to do it again.  I set mine up long ago and now when we cruise it is always ready to go.  Just go through the steps to set it up while you're home.  Your phone will still function just like it always has but when you reset everything for your cruise the wifi calling will be in place.

15 hours ago, lifes-a-beach said:

It's not a matter of when you switch over but whether you set it up while in your home territory.  Once you set it up you don't have to do it again.  I set mine up long ago and now when we cruise it is always ready to go.  Just go through the steps to set it up while you're home.  Your phone will still function just like it always has but when you reset everything for your cruise the wifi calling will be in place.

But if I do those three steps I presented above I won't be able to take/receive calls or text unless I'm connected to a WiFi, correct? So if I'm out driving around, for instance, and not connected to any WiFi. Seems like I tested that earlier and indeed I could not at least send a text (parked on the side of the road) nor did my car show my phone connected.

What do you  mean as "home territory"? I'm assuming you mean a cell tower where I am connected to my service provider which is AT&T.

Thanks for the clarification. 😎

Doug

Yes that is correct, however, once you set up WiFi calling at home it is always ready to work.  You don’t have to go to airplane mode until you get on the ship and are far enough out to lose your normal cell signal.  

Setting up WiFi calling has nothing to do with the ship’s WiFi or airplane more.  It will work anywhere you happen to be where a cell signal is weak but you are connected to a good WiFi signal.  For instance, I connect to the WiFi network at work but because it’s a metal building the cellular signal can be weak.  The WiFi signal can take the place of the weak cellular signal, just like it does for data (surfing or texting).  So...

set it it up while you’re at home.

forget about WiFi calling

turn on airplane mode only when you need it (there are other times you might need it besides on a cruise, perhaps on a land vacation to another country)

If airplane mode is on or off you will be able to use a strong WiFi signal to make and receive calls.  

Edited by lifes-a-beach

31 minutes ago, lifes-a-beach said:

Yes that is correct, however, once you set up WiFi calling at home it is always ready to work.  You don’t have to go to airplane mode until you get on the ship and are far enough out to lose your normal cell signal.  

Setting up WiFi calling has nothing to do with the ship’s WiFi or airplane more.  It will work anywhere you happen to be where a cell signal is weak but you are connected to a good WiFi signal.  For instance, I connect to the WiFi network at work but because it’s a metal building the cellular signal can be weak.  The WiFi signal can take the place of the weak cellular signal, just like it does for data (surfing or texting).  So...

set it it up while you’re at home.

forget about WiFi calling

turn on airplane mode only when you need it (there are other times you might need it besides on a cruise, perhaps on a land vacation to another country)

If airplane mode is on or off you will be able to use a strong WiFi signal to make and receive calls.  

Well, thank you so much for that information! I will do on my phone today: WiFi ON, WiFi Calling ON, Airplane OFF until I'm on the ship!

Doug

20 hours ago, bob brown said:

This it the same for every phone and carrier I am familiar with.

The phone has to be connected to its home cell network to set up wifi calling.

1 hour ago, lifes-a-beach said:

I actually use wifi calling at home.  I live in the country, so don't have a great cell signal at the house. The phone switches to wifi calling.

To OP. two things. first, yes, set up wifi calling before you leave. It doesn't hurt you to have it set up and on all the time. I do. When I'm at home connected to a wifi network, if that is stronger than the cell service, it uses the wifi. When I'm not at home or connected to a wifi network it automatically reverts back to cellular. Also, I could be wrong about this because I haven't had an android in years, but I don't think that wifi calling will allow texts to come through wifi. Most people with android use a wifi texting app to accomplish this. People with Iphones can automatically receive texts through wifi because Iphone uses Imessage, but androids don't.

4 hours ago, sanger727 said:

but I don't think that wifi calling will allow texts to come through wifi. Most people with android use a wifi texting app to accomplish this. People with Iphones can automatically receive texts through wifi because Iphone uses Imessage, but androids don't.

Every Android phone I am familiar with allows texts to come through.

iMessaging only works iPhone to iPhone.  And it uses cell data, so no text fees.

20 hours ago, sanger727 said:

To OP. two things. first, yes, set up wifi calling before you leave. It doesn't hurt you to have it set up and on all the time. I do. When I'm at home connected to a wifi network, if that is stronger than the cell service, it uses the wifi. When I'm not at home or connected to a wifi network it automatically reverts back to cellular. Also, I could be wrong about this because I haven't had an android in years, but I don't think that wifi calling will allow texts to come through wifi. Most people with android use a wifi texting app to accomplish this. People with Iphones can automatically receive texts through wifi because Iphone uses Imessage, but androids don't.

I put my phone in WiFi ON, Airplane ON, and WiFi Calling on yesterday for about ah hour while I drove home. When I returned home I had a "voice mail icon" on my phone. I didn't recall the phone ringing, but it may have when I was out of the car for about 15 minutes. Anyway, got home, tried to play the voice mail, but a password was required. Never had that before. So I tried a few things, and finally put the phone OFF WiFi calling and tried again; Successfully, just like always. Odd. I am going to try that again (Wifi ON, Airplane ON, WiFi Calling ON) again soon and ask my wife to schedule a call to me during that time and see what happens. Other that the message thing with a password, which I do not have, the process you kindly described in your post seems to be perfect. I'll report bad here once I do my test.

1 hour ago, PaperSniper4 said:

I put my phone in WiFi ON, Airplane ON, and WiFi Calling on yesterday for about ah hour while I drove home. When I returned home I had a "voice mail icon" on my phone. I didn't recall the phone ringing, but it may have when I was out of the car for about 15 minutes.

And what WiFi network was it connected to?  In order for WiFi calling to work you need to be on a WiFi network.  When you put your phone in airplane mode it disconnects from cellular data and voice networks (the networks used for calls when you're out and about), without a WiFi network to connect to there's no way for the phone to communicate in or out...

Try the test again but with the phone at home...

Edited by hallux

There’s no WiFi network in your car.  Even if you were in a location with a WiFi network just turning on WiFi won’t connect you to that network unless you have previously connected to it.  Like my work WiFi.  My devices automatically connect to the WiFi when I get to work because my WiFi is always turned on.  Same with the Panera we frequent.  And, of course, at home.  Since I’ve previously connected to those examples my phone finds them automatically.  

As recommended, try it at home where you know you’re connected to WiFi.  

2 hours ago, hallux said:

And what WiFi network was it connected to?  In order for WiFi calling to work you need to be on a WiFi network.  When you put your phone in airplane mode it disconnects from cellular data and voice networks (the networks used for calls when you're out and about), without a WiFi network to connect to there's no way for the phone to communicate in or out...

Try the test again but with the phone at home...

Right. Mental lapse there......The phone message must have gotten on my phone prior to me putting my phone on Airplane mode, but I did not see it, our attempt to listen to it, until I was at home, connected to my home WiFi.