What to do in Hamburg

Bdnclc

Take the train to Luebeck.  Luebeck is an old Hanseatic town with a lot of great history, architecture, etc.  It's an interesting town to walk around and was one of the highlights of our Baltic tour. 

We weren't looking for a particularly busy day, so we walked through the city center to see the Rathaus and some of the older buildings around the canals between the Elbe and the Alster. The St. Nikolai Memorial probably stands out the most in my memory.

We expected to spend an hour in Miniature Wonderland ... we spent 5 and could have stayed longer. Mrs liked it as much as I did.  It is amazing.

Note there is a 'controlled access' entry system to prevent overloading the attraction.  If you wait until you get there to buy tickets, expect to wait to get in .... I believe we waited around 40 minutes ... there is a waiting lounge. You can buy 'time stamped' entry ahead of time and skip this wait.

Edited by Capt_BJ

6 hours ago, Capt_BJ said:

We expected to spend an hour in Miniature Wonderland ... we spent 5 and could have stayed longer. Mrs liked it as much as I did.  It is amazing.

Note there is a 'controlled access' entry system to prevent overloading the attraction.  If you wait until you get there to buy tickets, expect to wait to get in .... I believe we waited around 40 minutes ... there is a waiting lounge. You can buy 'time stamped' entry ahead of time and skip this wait.

This!  The place is huge and I can't imagine anyone not enjoying it.  You can buy timed entry tickets on the website in advance to avoid the wait to get in.  It was a short cab ride from the pier.  I've also heard that the maritime museum is interesting but we did not have time to stop in since we ended up spending all our time in Miniature Wonderland.

Maritime Mus' is very good as mentioned .. but I'd consider it secondary to WM. There's a HUGE LEGO model of QM2.   There's also an auto museum in the same area which I found to be a disappointment.  If the day is nice the waterfront area of St Pauli makes a very nice walk with some museum ships with many water side cafes for a snack and there are many options for a harbor tour by boat. We spent a couple of days b4 boarding a QM2 crossing and had a fine time.

IMG_0366.JPG

IMG_0382.JPG

IMG_0365.JPG

Depends what floats your boat if you pardon the expression, have been to Hamburg a few times and the Miniature Railway exhibition is really excellent (Baumwall S-Bahn station is nearest). An area we liked (short walk from the Miniature Rail exhibition) was St Pauli Landungsbrucken and there is the walkable old Elbe tunnel, shops/cafes and the usual harbour boat tours start there as well.

On our first visit to Hamburg, we took the train into Berlin, where a guide met us at the train station and gave us a tour of as much as we could possibly see in our time frame. We then took the train back in plenty of time.  Everything worked out well.

The next time we visited, we had no specific plans. We ended up taking the metro to the main train station, where we got on a HOHO tour.  It was very good.  Hamburg is a beautiful city.  After that, we enjoyed the pedestrian area and then found a requisite German pub for lunch.  It was all very relaxed and we enjoyed ourselves immensely.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, High C's said:

On our first visit to Hamburg, we took the train into Berlin, where a guide met us at the train station and gave us a tour of as much as we could possibly see in our time frame. We then took the train back in plenty of time.  Everything worked out well.

The next time we visited, we had no specific plans. We ended up taking the metro to the main train station, where we got on a HOHO tour.  It was very good.  Hamburg is a beautiful city.  After that, we enjoyed the pedestrian area and then found a requisite German pub for lunch.  It was all very relaxed and we enjoyed ourselves immensely.

Where did you catch the HOHO?  If you recall.  I more of a person turning the area and letting opportunity happen.  Berlin  seems like a long committed day if take a booked tour.

6 hours ago, Bdnclc said:

Where did you catch the HOHO?  If you recall.  I more of a person turning the area and letting opportunity happen.  Berlin  seems like a long committed day if take a booked tour.

We took the U-Bahn from the cruise port to the main train station (Hamburg Hauptbahnhof).  The HOHO buses are lined up outside the station.  Immediately across the street from where the buses are is a pedestrian only street (Spitalerstrasse) that is very pleasant to walk along.  This street connects the area of the HBF with the Rathausmarkt (City Hall Square).  The buildings are lovely - definitely worth seeing.

We thoroughly enjoyed our day in Hamburg.  The weather was picture-perfect, which definitely contributed!

• Like 1

On 10/20/2019 at 9:05 AM, Capt_BJ said:

https://www.getyourguide.com/hamburg-l23/hamburg-line-a-hop-on-hop-off-sightseeing-tour-t25814/

altho the main train station is sort of the 'hub' you can board at any of the 27 stops and get tickets 

we had an upgraded ticket that included a harbor cruise of about 1 hour . . . 

image.thumb.png.bc4eec8d75b4e8a6d5e643bf12c306c4.png

Does the HoHo bus go to the Port area where the cruise ships dock?  Thanks for your help.

DH and I were able to get a combination ticket online through Miniatur Wunderland for entry and the HOHO bus.  We both enjoyed the Wunderland , then toured the city getting off at a few stops. Bus even had a stop at the port.  It was a very enjoyable day in Hamburg.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...