• Eurodam
  • Nieuw Amsterdam
  • Noordam
  • Oosterdam
  • Rotterdam
  • Westerdam
  • Zuiderdam

No BB King on the Volendam 

And BB king was REMOVED from the Rotterdam some time ago unless things changed suddenly.  They were fabulous in the Crow’s Nest there.  Great location.  We were on before it’s drydock and with it, they were eliminated.

18 minutes ago, dockman said:

B.B. King's Blues Club is found on the following ships:

• Koningsdam
  • Eurodam
  • Nieuw Amsterdam
  • Noordam
  • Oosterdam
  • Rotterdam
  • Westerdam
  • Zuiderdam

Remove Rotterdam and add Nieuw Statendam and you have a correct, up to date list.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kazu said:

No BB King on the Volendam 

And BB king was REMOVED from the Rotterdam some time ago unless things changed suddenly.  They were fabulous in the Crow’s Nest there.  Great location.  We were on before it’s drydock and with it, they were eliminated.

There was some talk that the CN space on the Rotterdam wasn't large enough, too cramped for a stage, etc,  but we were told that they discontinued it because there were so many noise complaints from cabins in the vicinity.

Edited by SilvertoGold

8 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

We were told on the Rotterdam that they discontinued it because there were so many noise complaints from cabins in the vicinity.

You were told correctly, StoG :classic_wink:. They tried it in the hopes to expand them (the BB's) to the other three "R"s and two "S"-class ships and it didn't work out, unfortunately

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, cruisehome said:

what kind of music do they play

If you are asking "what kind of music does BB-King play", then you must be very young (under 30) or you lived your youth in Siberia !! 

It's Rock-n-Roll, blues, jazz and music from the late 20th century.

On 10/14/2019 at 4:56 PM, SilvertoGold said:

There was some talk that the CN space on the Rotterdam wasn't large enough, too cramped for a stage, etc,  but we were told that they discontinued it because there were so many noise complaints from cabins in the vicinity.

Would some doors going into and from Crow's Nest reduced the noise?  What about complaints from the cabins under the current Queen's Lounge where BB King's Band plays?  I understand it probably isn't the same as being almost next door to the venue; however, there is probably some noise bleed into those cabins on the Vista and Signature Class ships.  

I'm saying that some attempt to address the problem on Rotterdam could have been made, right?  Was any attempt made at all?  Does anyone know?

The BB King band on the Nieuw Amsterdam was phenomenal.  Lots of people skipped the show in the main showroom to hear the band in the BB King venue.  Wish the R Class ships would get this and the Billboard Onboard.  Both were standing room only every night of our cruise.  

• Like 1

When the BB King's group played in the Crow's Nest on the Rotterdam, no doubt it was loud, but the dance floor was of sufficient size to accommodate all of us who wanted to dance.  What was the quality of the group?  The Captain's wife and the Hotel Director was observed by me at the Crow's Nest bar enjoying the music.

Sorry to learn that I ought not to expect a BB King group on my Volendam cruise in December.  But, I do expect that there will be a music group or two that will provide enjoyable music, particularly since this cruise will be over the holidays.

8 minutes ago, BlackJack2 said:

The BB King band on the Nieuw Amsterdam was phenomenal.  Lots of people skipped the show in the main showroom to hear the band in the BB King venue.  Wish the R Class ships would get this and the Billboard Onboard.  Both were standing room only every night of our cruise.  

I understand the Zaandam will receive the duel piano lounge at her next drydock, upcoming soon.  If she receives this venue, then it probably isn't much of a stretch to say that the other R Class ships will also get the same renovation.  

50 minutes ago, sevenseasnomad said:

however, there is probably some noise bleed into those cabins on the Vista and Signature Class ships.  

No 'probably' about it. There is some major noise in a few of the inside cabins, port side, under the BB King lounge on those ships. 
The musicians in that band should be assigned to those cabins. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, TAD2005 said:

If you are asking "what kind of music does BB-King play", then you must be very young (under 30) or you lived your youth in Siberia !! 

It's Rock-n-Roll, blues, jazz and music from the late 20th century.

I’m no expert but are you confusing B.B. King with the company which provides the bands on some cruise ships, etc.?

5 hours ago, cruisehome said:

no far from 30  just am not familiar with Holland America and its terminology of music

I am just used to modern pop music and R&B

so will look forward to attending this lounge

Actually you asked a good question.  The “BB Kings” bands on the ships are named after a deceased Blues musician (B.B. King) but these bands play different styles of music.  

I hope in the future that people simply answer your questions on cruise critic.🙂

10 minutes ago, TonyC1952 said:

Just got off the Volendam, and they DID have a BB King Blues Club, in the space normally called the Mainstage. That is going away during the dry dock starting at the end of this week. Just an FYI.

The Mainstage going away?  The entire two stories? To be replaced by what?  

3 hours ago, TonyC1952 said:

Just got off the Volendam, and they DID have a BB King Blues Club, in the space normally called the Mainstage. That is going away during the dry dock starting at the end of this week. Just an FYI.

3 hours ago, taxmantoo said:

The Mainstage going away?  The entire two stories? To be replaced by what?  

According to the 'ships at a glance chart' quoted here several times and located on HALs web site at www.hollandamerica.com/content/dam/hal/inventory-assets/ships/pdf-files/HAL_Ships_at_a_Glance_Chart.pdf

Volendam is NOT scheduled to get BB King.

Wonder what's up. I don't think they would replace the main stage

@Copper10-8??

Edited by richwmn

14 hours ago, SetAnOpenCourse said:

Actually you asked a good question.  The “BB Kings” bands on the ships are named after a deceased Blues musician (B.B. King) but these bands play different styles of music.  

I hope in the future that people simply answer your questions on cruise critic.🙂

God !!! can't anyone recognize a little humor these days ?

I assumed that most who cruise on HAL must be at least in their 40's and up and BB King was a famous musician who lived 89 years and died in May 2015.  He specialized in blues, but also played good 'ol rock-n-roll, plus some jazz on his guitar.   Which is exactly the kind of music the BB-King Blues Club plays on HAL ships.  That is what I responded.   Sorry if you thought I was being snarky.   

There's a running joke these days..... How do you drive millennials crazy ?   Lock them in a room with a rotary dial phone, a 12 channel TV with rabbit ears and no remote control.  

2 minutes ago, richwmn said:

According to the 'ships at a glance chart' quoted here several times and located on HALs web site at www.hollandamerica.com/content/dam/hal/inventory-assets/ships/pdf-files/HAL_Ships_at_a_Glance_Chart.pdf

Volendam is NOT scheduled to get BB King.

Wonder what's up. I don't think they would replace the main stage

@Copper10-8??

Your guess is as good as mine, Rich! I gave up attempting to crawl inside the brain of Bill Prince a while ago

2 minutes ago, TAD2005 said:

God !!! can't anyone recognize a little humor these days ?

I assumed that most who cruise on HAL must be at least in their 40's and up and BB King was a famous musician who lived 89 years and died in May 2015.  He specialized in blues, but also played good 'ol rock-n-roll, plus some jazz on his guitar.   Which is exactly the kind of music the BB-King Blues Club plays on HAL ships.  That is what I responded.   Sorry if you thought I was being snarky.   

There's a running joke these days..... How do you drive millennials crazy ?   Lock them in a room with a rotary dial phone, a 12 channel TV with rabbit ears and no remote control.  

Pop quiz for ya, Tad! What did B.B. King name his guitar?