Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Kenato

BB King on Volendam?

Recommended Posts

Can anyone tell me if there is a BB King group playing on the Volendam. Heard and liked them on previous Eurodam cruises and hoping they now have one on the Volendam 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

B.B. King's Blues Club is found on the following ships:

  • Koningsdam
  • Eurodam
  • Nieuw Amsterdam
  • Noordam
  • Oosterdam
  • Rotterdam
  • Westerdam
  • Zuiderdam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, dockman said:

B.B. King's Blues Club is found on the following ships:

  • Koningsdam
  • Eurodam
  • Nieuw Amsterdam
  • Noordam
  • Oosterdam
  • Rotterdam
  • Westerdam
  • Zuiderdam

 

No BB King on the Volendam 

 

And BB king was REMOVED from the Rotterdam some time ago unless things changed suddenly.  They were fabulous in the Crow’s Nest there.  Great location.  We were on before it’s drydock and with it, they were eliminated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, dockman said:

B.B. King's Blues Club is found on the following ships:

  • Koningsdam
  • Eurodam
  • Nieuw Amsterdam
  • Noordam
  • Oosterdam
  • Rotterdam
  • Westerdam
  • Zuiderdam

Remove Rotterdam and add Nieuw Statendam and you have a correct, up to date list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, kazu said:

 

No BB King on the Volendam 

 

And BB king was REMOVED from the Rotterdam some time ago unless things changed suddenly.  They were fabulous in the Crow’s Nest there.  Great location.  We were on before it’s drydock and with it, they were eliminated.

 

There was some talk that the CN space on the Rotterdam wasn't large enough, too cramped for a stage, etc,  but we were told that they discontinued it because there were so many noise complaints from cabins in the vicinity.

Edited by SilvertoGold

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

 

We were told on the Rotterdam that they discontinued it because there were so many noise complaints from cabins in the vicinity.

 

You were told correctly, StoG :classic_wink:. They tried it in the hopes to expand them (the BB's) to the other three "R"s and two "S"-class ships and it didn't work out, unfortunately

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the replies guys. Really sorry no BB King. I really enjoyed them and was looking forward to seeing them again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't need the BB king club, just a good band like the station band in the crow's nest is perfect..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, cruisehome said:

what kind of music do they play

 

If you are asking "what kind of music does BB-King play", then you must be very young (under 30) or you lived your youth in Siberia !! 

It's Rock-n-Roll, blues, jazz and music from the late 20th century.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2019 at 4:56 PM, SilvertoGold said:

 

There was some talk that the CN space on the Rotterdam wasn't large enough, too cramped for a stage, etc,  but we were told that they discontinued it because there were so many noise complaints from cabins in the vicinity.

Would some doors going into and from Crow's Nest reduced the noise?  What about complaints from the cabins under the current Queen's Lounge where BB King's Band plays?  I understand it probably isn't the same as being almost next door to the venue; however, there is probably some noise bleed into those cabins on the Vista and Signature Class ships.  

 

I'm saying that some attempt to address the problem on Rotterdam could have been made, right?  Was any attempt made at all?  Does anyone know?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The BB King band on the Nieuw Amsterdam was phenomenal.  Lots of people skipped the show in the main showroom to hear the band in the BB King venue.  Wish the R Class ships would get this and the Billboard Onboard.  Both were standing room only every night of our cruise.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When the BB King's group played in the Crow's Nest on the Rotterdam, no doubt it was loud, but the dance floor was of sufficient size to accommodate all of us who wanted to dance.  What was the quality of the group?  The Captain's wife and the Hotel Director was observed by me at the Crow's Nest bar enjoying the music.

 

Sorry to learn that I ought not to expect a BB King group on my Volendam cruise in December.  But, I do expect that there will be a music group or two that will provide enjoyable music, particularly since this cruise will be over the holidays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BlackJack2 said:

The BB King band on the Nieuw Amsterdam was phenomenal.  Lots of people skipped the show in the main showroom to hear the band in the BB King venue.  Wish the R Class ships would get this and the Billboard Onboard.  Both were standing room only every night of our cruise.  

I understand the Zaandam will receive the duel piano lounge at her next drydock, upcoming soon.  If she receives this venue, then it probably isn't much of a stretch to say that the other R Class ships will also get the same renovation.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, sevenseasnomad said:

however, there is probably some noise bleed into those cabins on the Vista and Signature Class ships.  

No 'probably' about it. There is some major noise in a few of the inside cabins, port side, under the BB King lounge on those ships. 
The musicians in that band should be assigned to those cabins. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TAD2005 said:

If you are asking "what kind of music does BB-King play", then you must be very young (under 30) or you lived your youth in Siberia !! 

It's Rock-n-Roll, blues, jazz and music from the late 20th century.

I’m no expert but are you confusing B.B. King with the company which provides the bands on some cruise ships, etc.?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

no far from 30  just am not familiar with Holland America and its terminology of music

 

I am just used to modern pop music and R&B

so will look forward to attending this lounge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, cruisehome said:

no far from 30  just am not familiar with Holland America and its terminology of music

 

I am just used to modern pop music and R&B

so will look forward to attending this lounge

Actually you asked a good question.  The “BB Kings” bands on the ships are named after a deceased Blues musician (B.B. King) but these bands play different styles of music.  

 

I hope in the future that people simply answer your questions on cruise critic.🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got off the Volendam, and they DID have a BB King Blues Club, in the space normally called the Mainstage. That is going away during the dry dock starting at the end of this week. Just an FYI.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TonyC1952 said:

Just got off the Volendam, and they DID have a BB King Blues Club, in the space normally called the Mainstage. That is going away during the dry dock starting at the end of this week. Just an FYI.

 

The Mainstage going away?  The entire two stories? To be replaced by what?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TonyC1952 said:

Just got off the Volendam, and they DID have a BB King Blues Club, in the space normally called the Mainstage. That is going away during the dry dock starting at the end of this week. Just an FYI.

 

 

3 hours ago, taxmantoo said:

The Mainstage going away?  The entire two stories? To be replaced by what?  

 

According to the 'ships at a glance chart' quoted here several times and located on HALs web site at www.hollandamerica.com/content/dam/hal/inventory-assets/ships/pdf-files/HAL_Ships_at_a_Glance_Chart.pdf

Volendam is NOT scheduled to get BB King.

Wonder what's up. I don't think they would replace the main stage

@Copper10-8??

Edited by richwmn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, SetAnOpenCourse said:

Actually you asked a good question.  The “BB Kings” bands on the ships are named after a deceased Blues musician (B.B. King) but these bands play different styles of music.  

 

I hope in the future that people simply answer your questions on cruise critic.🙂

God !!! can't anyone recognize a little humor these days ?

I assumed that most who cruise on HAL must be at least in their 40's and up and BB King was a famous musician who lived 89 years and died in May 2015.  He specialized in blues, but also played good 'ol rock-n-roll, plus some jazz on his guitar.   Which is exactly the kind of music the BB-King Blues Club plays on HAL ships.  That is what I responded.   Sorry if you thought I was being snarky.   

There's a running joke these days..... How do you drive millennials crazy ?   Lock them in a room with a rotary dial phone, a 12 channel TV with rabbit ears and no remote control.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, richwmn said:

 

 

According to the 'ships at a glance chart' quoted here several times and located on HALs web site at www.hollandamerica.com/content/dam/hal/inventory-assets/ships/pdf-files/HAL_Ships_at_a_Glance_Chart.pdf

Volendam is NOT scheduled to get BB King.

Wonder what's up. I don't think they would replace the main stage

@Copper10-8??

 

Your guess is as good as mine, Rich! I gave up attempting to crawl inside the brain of Bill Prince a while ago

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TAD2005 said:

God !!! can't anyone recognize a little humor these days ?

I assumed that most who cruise on HAL must be at least in their 40's and up and BB King was a famous musician who lived 89 years and died in May 2015.  He specialized in blues, but also played good 'ol rock-n-roll, plus some jazz on his guitar.   Which is exactly the kind of music the BB-King Blues Club plays on HAL ships.  That is what I responded.   Sorry if you thought I was being snarky.   

There's a running joke these days..... How do you drive millennials crazy ?   Lock them in a room with a rotary dial phone, a 12 channel TV with rabbit ears and no remote control.  

 

 

Pop quiz for ya, Tad! What did B.B. King name his guitar?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter Now for a Chance to Win a 7-day Cruise for Two
      • Q&A with InsureMyTrip
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...