Switching kids to their own cabin on RCI issues

VA4family

Hello.  RCI won't allow you to book a cabin without a 21 year old in it unless they are adjacent or right across the hallway.

We booked two cabins about 6 doors apart on the same deck of a very full sailing (as close as we can get).   On our last sailing they allowed us to put the adults in one cabin and the kids in another two doors down.  But they won't let us do it this time.  My kids are 20 and 17.5 years old.  

What suggestions do you have?  It's too late to cancel the booking but we could (a) keep our current configuration of two cabins, one parent in each cabin with a child, or (b) switch room keys on board and take our chances.  Anyone done this before or have additional suggestions?

Is there someone at RCI that I could talk to?  Customer service was no help!

We’ve had the same issue for years. We have never had a problem getting extra keys for rooms when on board, and they don’t care where you sleep. Some people just have to carry two cards. We do let the room steward know what to expect however.  

2 minutes ago, Palmetto Pilot said:

20 and 17?! they still wont let you? I remember as a kid still cruising with my folks (around 2004) I was 18 and my brother was 13, we had our own room on the opposite side of the ship as my folks but same deck. 

I am just noticing the same issue.  I am looking at two rooms for next summer and my kids will be 19 & 17.  Last time we had connecting rooms, but those are quite a bit higher for the cruise we are looking at.  

Policy for years. Even back in 1980's Royal wouldnt allow it, or under 21yr old without parent Cruise unless Married. Cabin's needs to be next to or across. Otherwise one parent in each room and as said after boarding get extra keys to enter both rooms..... 

• Like 1

Exactly. Booked as one parent + one child per cabin. Then the sleeping arrangements get sorted out on board between yourselves. Extra keys for everyone. Advise the steward of the bed config after check-in.

Edited by snowglobe

Shouldn't be an issue to get keys once on board.

However, to the people who say they don't do bed checks, I recall reading the following.

Family booked 2 cabins, 2 different decks. Did the key swap thing. The kids were monsters. The ship mandated that they sleep "as assigned" after all of the complaints.

2 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Shouldn't be an issue to get keys once on board.

However, to the people who say they don't do bed checks, I recall reading the following.

Family booked 2 cabins, 2 different decks. Did the key swap thing. The kids were monsters. The ship mandated that they sleep "as assigned" after all of the complaints.

We also were victims of the book two rooms, switch and sleep  where you want. 

The parents were in an outside cabin across from us. Their two monsters were four cabins down from us.

After complaints from us and others also affected, parents were told to sleep as booked.

26 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

We also were victims of the book two rooms, switch and sleep  where you want. 

The parents were in an outside cabin across from us. Their two monsters were four cabins down from us.

After complaints from us and others also affected, parents were told to sleep as booked.

That has always been my threat to the kids.  Behave or we will put one parent in each room.  So far, they've taken us seriously.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, SRF said:

BTW, the ACTUAL RCI policy is kids have to be in CONNECTING cabins, according to their FAQ.

But it seems that are fine with adjoining (but not connecting) or across the hall.

I didn't know that, we have connecting cabins for Oasis and I booked my son and I in one cabin and my wife and my daughter in the other.  Figured it won't matter much once we set sail.  But that is interesting!  

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 5:46 PM, not-enough-cruising said:

Put one adult in each cabin.  This can actually be a blessing in disguise when it comes time to buy Deluxe Beverage package, if only on adult wants it.  Once on board, they don't care where everyone sleeps.

Yes, that would be nice to be able to avoid having to buy two beverage packages. 

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 6:56 PM, 1025cruise said:

I am not sure I would even be comfortable with my children being on a different deck.  I can see opposite ends of hall on same deck or opposite sides of ship and same deck but having kids on different decks would be a stretch.

If you have responsible kids, I don't see any issue with letting them stay in their own space.   They just have to know that with freedom comes responsibility.  The "rules" are what they are. Just be sure your kids know that they need to keep themselves in line.

As others have said, on paper have one adult in each stateroom and then just get extra keys when you get on the ship, and be aware that if a safety or behavior issue comes up you may have to sleep "as booked."

19 minutes ago, legaljen1969 said:

I am not sure I would even be comfortable with my children being on a different deck.  I can see opposite ends of hall on same deck or opposite sides of ship and same deck but having kids on different decks would be a stretch.

If you have responsible kids, I don't see any issue with letting them stay in their own space.   They just have to know that with freedom comes responsibility.  The "rules" are what they are. Just be sure your kids know that they need to keep themselves in line.

As others have said, on paper have one adult in each stateroom and then just get extra keys when you get on the ship, and be aware that if a safety or behavior issue comes up you may have to sleep "as booked."

At 17 and 20, I’d be comfortable having my kids on a different ship than me. NCL is even more ridiculous, they wouldn’t let my 19 and 20 year olds booked in a connecting cabin.

59 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

At 17 and 20, I’d be comfortable having my kids on a different ship than me. NCL is even more ridiculous, they wouldn’t let my 19 and 20 year olds booked in a connecting cabin.

Wow, I wouldn't allow a 17 and 20 year old to be on a different ship as they'd be sailing alone.  I can't imagine having them sail by themselves.  Obviously, you have more faith in kids than I do, lol.

It's my belief the rules are due to 1) insurance requirements/mitigate risks of children making childish decisions 2) the safety of minors and others 3) the enjoyment of other passengers. I personally don't care what stateroom folks choose to sleep in. However, if I am in a position where guests of any age are behaving in a manner that is hindering my enjoyment of the cruise, you can expect me to complain.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, katiel53 said:

Wow, I wouldn't allow a 17 and 20 year old to be on a different ship as they'd be sailing alone.  I can't imagine having them sail by themselves.  Obviously, you have more faith in kids than I do, lol.

A 20 year old has been a legal adult for 2 years, some 17 year olds go away to college! So far all of my kids have lived off campus at college by 20 and traveled without their parents. My sister and her friends traveled around Europe for 2 months the summer before college.

• Like 2

RCI let us book 3 teens (under 18) into an adjoining (not connecting) cabin for our upcoming cruise in December.  We booked with RCI directly and were told we can book this way as long as the cabins are adjoining or directly across the hall.   I would be comfortable booking a few doors down, but not on a different deck or opposite ends of the ship.

2 hours ago, katiel53 said:

Some of us raise our kids to be more responsible than others. 

Mine enlisted in the Army at 17yo.  Others that age were eating Tide Pods. 

If you can drive a Humvee for Uncle Sam, you can cruise without your mommy and daddy.  Royal feels the same way, as it waives the age requirement for members of the military.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JennyB1977 said:

However, if I am in a position where guests of any age are behaving in a manner that is hindering my enjoyment of the cruise, you can expect me to complain.

Exactly... I don't care if you're 14yo, 44yo, or 84yo -- if you're causing a ruckus around me, you will be getting a visit from Security.  

• Like 2