Port Everglades, Fl

4x4bob

Just now, 4x4bob said:

Is walking out of and back into Port Everglades, Fl allowed?  Or must you obtain some type of vehicle transportation?

Such, how hard is it to catch a cab after disembarking from a ship?

Thanks

Bob

You can walk in and out. You’ll just need your boarding pass and ID to get back in.

With that said, I’d highly recommend getting an Uber/Lyft/Taxi for transportation. It’s extremely easy. They are all over the place. Plus, PE isn’t super pedestrian friendly. I don’t recall seeing a lot of sidewalks once you get away from the piers and out to the main road.

Enjoy your cruise!

Andrew

If you are at Pier 2 it's very easy to walk to 17th St or to the little mall before it. Just follow the crew members! 

As Andrew said, there are taxis at the port. I can't remember if Uber/Lyft has to pick you up outside, am sure someone knows.

Oh, and you'll also get an "intransit" card to show when going out and back in.

14 minutes ago, 4x4bob said:

Is walking out of and back into Port Everglades, Fl allowed?  Or must you obtain some type of vehicle transportation?

Thanks

Bob

Yes from Pier #2 or #4.

There are cabs available near the exit. Or just walk out to Eisenhower turn right to 17th St.

The ease of getting a taxi from outside the terminal really varies depending on how busy the port happens to be on that day.  We have walked off ships, through the terminal, joined the taxi queue, and have been on our way in a few minutes.  But on other cruises (especially on busy Saturday and Sundays) we have sometimes encountered very long taxi queues.  The taxis are kept outside the port at a staging area and then are summoned as needed.  But sometimes, when there are many ships, you can wait a long time (over 30 min) for a taxi.  When we see a long queue we usually summon Uber or Lyft (less costly then taxis) who are usually to our location I about 5 min.

Hank

Bob, not sure where you’re headed from Port E, but we’ve easily walked from the Regal Princess terminal (4?) to the Harbor Shops area. Took less than 15 min at a slow, leisurely pace. If you indicate the name of the ship, I’m sure someone will be able to give you more information. 

i, too, recommend Uber. Super quick and inexpensive. 

Edited by h-sar

6 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

I haven't tried this, can you take an uber into the port to board the ship?  I didn't think they could go thru the customs checkpoint?  Can they come get you and take you to the airport after the cruise as well?

My kids took an Uber to the port after shopping on a turnaround day. Not sure where they were dropped off, though. 

We’ve called for an Uber multiple times to get to the airport from the port. At the Princess terminal, they were able to pull up even closer than the taxi line. Came within two min of us calling for them.

8 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

I haven't tried this, can you take an uber into the port to board the ship?  I didn't think they could go thru the customs checkpoint?  Can they come get you and take you to the airport after the cruise as well?

Yes, you can Uber into or out of Port Everglades. Hence all the posts above  suggesting folks  use Uber (or Lyft)..and sharing their Experience with either. 

3 hours ago, 4x4bob said:

Thanks

Bob

• Yes. Allowed.  Some PAXs walk to the hotels/restaurants/shops only 5-10 minutes walk from the cruise terminal.
  •  
  • Not hard to catch a cab/Uber/Lyft at the cruise terminal.  Drop off/pick up at the terminal curb.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

18 hours ago, arowe6 said:

You can walk in and out. You’ll just need your boarding pass and ID to get back in.

With that said, I’d highly recommend getting an Uber/Lyft/Taxi for transportation. It’s extremely easy. They are all over the place. Plus, PE isn’t super pedestrian friendly. I don’t recall seeing a lot of sidewalks once you get away from the piers and out to the main road.

Enjoy your cruise!

Andrew

I disagree re needing transportation if you can walk a block or two.  There are sidewalks along the road where the piers are.  We've done several B2B's out of PE and on "turnaround days"  have easily walked over to Walgreen's or whatever the drugstore is at the corner of the main drag (17th St); also have met friends for coffee at the Starbucks also on the main drag.

8 hours ago, BarbinMich said:

I disagree re needing transportation if you can walk a block or two.  There are sidewalks along the road where the piers are.  We've done several B2B's out of PE and on "turnaround days"  have easily walked over to Walgreen's or whatever the drugstore is at the corner of the main drag (17th St); also have met friends for coffee at the Starbucks also on the main drag.

I was there only a few weeks ago after debarking from the Crown.   There was a lot of road work going on,  and some of the sidewalks were closed.   Not sure when the sidewalks will be repaired.   Hopefully repaired by your cruise.

Enjoy your cruise.

19 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

I was there only a few weeks ago after debarking from the Crown.   There was a lot of road work going on,  and some of the sidewalks were closed.   Not sure when the sidewalks will be repaired.   Hopefully repaired by your cruise.

Enjoy your cruise.

I was planning on walking over to 17th Ave to visit the Bank of America located on this Ave.  Information about sidewalk repair may cause me to rethink this idea if I find them still closed.

Thanks

Bob

7 hours ago, Kate P.C said:

Yes, you can walk in and out. It's very close to some shops like Ross and Publix and a lot of little restaurants. There are also taxis available, but it's super easy to walk and get to those places.

Thanks for the information on the shops.  My Wife will like hearing that.

Bob

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 6:05 PM, 4x4bob said:

Thanks to those who responded to my question.

Bob

We just got off the RCCL Adventure yesterday at Terminal 29.  Didn't look like you could walk easily anywhere.  Also, no wifi at this terminal.  Verified (with sticker on windshield) Uber drivers can only enter port area if they show security that they are picking a fare up. 

Also saw a van shuttle service to FLL airport for $11/pp & to Miami airport for $25/pp.  They left at 10 a.m.

NJ