Walking to Montreal Cruise Terminal?

garnetpalmetto

Perhaps an odd question, but is it possible to just walk up to the cruise terminal in Montreal? DW and I are going to be going on Empress of the Seas next year out of Montreal and were thinking about getting an AirBnB in walking distance of the port the night before. I know in some ports this wouldn't be feasible given either size or security concerns but given how relatively small Montreal's terminal area is, it looked like it might be possible.

2 hours ago, garnetpalmetto said:

Perhaps an odd question, but is it possible to just walk up to the cruise terminal in Montreal?

You can walk right up-- quite easy. I personally wouldn't want to walk much further than a few blocks but if you are close you can walk right up and through the little gate. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

You can walk right up-- quite easy. I personally wouldn't want to walk much further than a few blocks but if you are close you can walk right up and through the little gate. 

Thanks! We're looking at places within about half a mile of the port which shouldn't be too bad, I'd think (unless there's some terrain issues I'm not aware of/seeing?)

Cobbles are a right b*gger with some wheely suitcases - especially the 4-way spinners with small rollerskate wheels - and depending where you're walking from there may be some or many cobbles! If you're there pre-cruise, just take a walk down from your accommodation without bags and pay attention to the streets you're using - and there are some slopes around not much over a half-mile from the pier which are steep enough to cause thoroughly-entertaining multiple vehicle low-velocity crashes when it's icy (video here - when salt trucks are sliding around you know it's a bad street!) so I'd check the Google walking route from each potential place to see how flat the route is before booking (tail end of cruise season could see below-freezing temps overnight - we actually had some below freezing temps here in Vancouver last week, and Montreal gets a lot colder than here...)

On 10/15/2019 at 10:58 AM, garnetpalmetto said:

Perhaps an odd question, but is it possible to just walk up to the cruise terminal in Montreal? DW and I are going to be going on Empress of the Seas next year out of Montreal and were thinking about getting an AirBnB in walking distance of the port the night before. I know in some ports this wouldn't be feasible given either size or security concerns but given how relatively small Montreal's terminal area is, it looked like it might be possible.

Look at your dock assignment for the ship to verify that you board in the Old port dock. A third dock is away in the cargo terminal area, used for days with many ships or for a ship that will not fit under the last bridge. I will try to post the website link soon, but you can google montreal cruise port. I doubt they have the assignments for 2020 up yet. Look in the new year for their update. And Yes you can walk up to the regular dock, but not to the cargo terminal one. There are some steep up and down hill sections but only for one block or so, and the blocks are very short. 

Thanks all! I'm not too worried about my luggage - given that it's survived cobblestones in Prague, Berlin, and Paris I think it'll be OK. We're cruising in late September (departing 9/25) so I *think* we'll be cruising before it gets to snowy/icy. Point taken about the different berths, though. Since I'm not sure where Empress of the Seas/Royal Caribbean will berth we'll keep in mind we may need to take a taxi or an Uber to the port.

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, NJ&Ozzie said:

Can you walk from the train station to the cruise terminal (like in Quebec)?  If so, how far is it?

Thanks,

NJ 

Very much depends on your ability to schlep your luggage around - it's a little under a mile from the main station to the new pier, relatively flat, but as noted above you might have some cobbles to deal with. If you're not at the main terminal, distance could vary a fair bit too (check the schedule linked above in post #7).

42 minutes ago, martincath said:

Very much depends on your ability to schlep your luggage around - it's a little under a mile from the main station to the new pier, relatively flat, but as noted above you might have some cobbles to deal with. If you're not at the main terminal, distance could vary a fair bit too (check the schedule linked above in post #7).

Thanks.  Sounds fairly similar to walk from Quebec train stn. to port.  Depends on weather too.

NJ 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 1/18/2020 at 10:36 AM, Cruise4food said:

Note that assignments during May and early June are often moved to T-3 in the cargo terminal. High water levels during spring melt reduce the clearance at the last bridge. 

Great info as the terminal you berth at could change your plans considerably. I'm wondering what ships cannot make it under the last bridge during high water levels. I'm on the the HAL Zanndam which is not a very tall ship. Also, your map of the Terminals and the cruise ship Itineraries and assigned Terminals for 2020 is very helpful.   👍