Why check in early?

zitsky

Did a search.  Couldn't find an existing thread?!

Just received an email from Celebrity encouraging us to check in for a December cruise.  Mentioned something about scanning passport, etc.  I can't see the advantage of doing this now.  What am I missing?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Just received an email from Celebrity encouraging us to check in for a December cruise.  Mentioned something about scanning passport, etc.  I can't see the advantage of doing this now.  What am I missing?

Why not, saves time at the pier, choice is yours  but the key is that there is a choice.   

• Like 1

Doing the on line check in expedites your boarding process because Celebrity has all the information. You can check in on line or on your phone and manually enter your passport information rather than scanning it.  I could not get ours to scan but I did upload the photo.  When you board all they have to do is scan your express pass, either paper or on your phone.

• Like 2

By entering the information while on-line checkin is open-- You speed your process at the pier...

AND

no one is standing behind you wondering why you didn't enter your passport information and upload a pic ahead of time as well as your credit card for incidentals.

😉

you don't want to be "that guy" at express checkin and the reason for the "slow lane"

• Like 2

We always do check in as soon as it becomes available online. Just one less thing to think about as embarkation day draws closer. That might not be a huge advantage, but there's certainly no disadvantage either. Imagine the chaos that would ensue if everyone decided to just check in at the port!

55 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Ok.  Early check in is nice but I have been on other lines that do it at the terminal.  I'm sure they have my info but not everyone is set up to scan passports etc ahead of time.

The 'scan' is just using the camera on your phone, if you can run the Celebrity app then you will already have everything you need.

I do understand that not everyone uses a modern cell phone, but the percentage without must be getting pretty small now...

• Like 2

I saw a family who didn't do the online pre check-in get pulled from the line entering the building and asked to fill out forms before they could get back in line to go to check-in. Did he have to do it online? No. Would it have been better for him and his family group if they had? Absolutely. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, zitsky said:

Are you asking why check in two months early vs. two weeks?  Probably no advantage.  Other than once it's done, it's done.

• Like 1

With just over 50 cruises. I only forgot the paperwork once. It did not make any difference in Hong Kong. They always seem to scan passports and credit card. From our side I dont see any difference. I'm thinking it might make a difference on Celebrity's side and customs/Visa's. 

1 hour ago, marko711 said:

It helps you make sure you have everything you need and your passport is not expired.

This is a super helpful point.  A few years ago i did my online check in about 10 days before our cruise, and discovered my passport had expired 6 months earlier.

I ended up taking an emergency trip to Denver to do a same day passport renewal, so it was an expensive mistake.  If i had checked in online earlier, i could have rushed a regular passport renewal via mail.

• Like 2

Earlier this year we did the complete on line check in including a photo. We did it on our computer. 

On entering the cruise terminal we had our  boarding pass scanned and basically walked onto the ship.

Barely had to stop walking from entering the terminal to walking up the gangway.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DebInAntigua said:

Are you able to order luggage tags without checking in?

Excellent point. I don't think so. My TA asked me to complete our check in so she could print our documents and request tags. I had done it weeks prior but it wasn't showing on her end of things. Another X IT glitch. LOL

14 minutes ago, DebInAntigua said:

Are you able to order luggage tags without checking in?

After seeing this thread I went ahead and did our Xpress Passes for our November 8th Silhouette Cruise.  It took less than 5 minutes and also printed off our luggage tags.

10 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I can’t wait for online check in to begin. It means embarkation day is that much closer. 

Haven't downloaded the Celebrity App though. Guess I better get on that. 

What ship are you on.  I couldn’t do it on the app for Silhouette but very easy on the website.

9 hours ago, Oville said:

What ship are you on.  I couldn’t do it on the app for Silhouette but very easy on the website.

Well I just downloaded the app but its not configured for Silhouette (the ship I'm on next).  It looks like right now it only works for the ships that have gone through the rehab.

If it is your first cruise (in general or on CelebrityCruises), there is an advantage: you know which document you need (and hopefully you will bring in the hand luggage).  It gives you also some time to thinks about which is the best credit card to use (fee, points, but also one, or split accounts).

I do it, the preparation of the cruise is worth half cruise. (books, atlas, and internet are better then such bureaucratic procedure, but still ... one small step less).