Why check in early?

zitsky

37 minutes ago, zitsky said:

How easy / how well does the passport and photo scanning work in the app on the cell phone?  Do you have to scan 2-3 times?

One and done.

It was so easy it took mere seconds to do. Just hold the camera over the passport and it grabs what it needs, nothing to press or get wrong.

The picture was easy but I could not get the passport to scan.  I just did the check in on my computer and typed in the passport information. I could also have done that on the phone but the computer is easier to type on.  I have both printed and electronic copies of the express pass and got luggage tags last week in the mail.

• Like 1

It does make it quicker at the terminal.  We just got back from the Equinox a few weeks ago and we didn't even have to go to the desk.  They took our pics and we were on our way.  Cards were at our door.  Took maybe three minutes.

17 minutes ago, Terre said:

It does make it quicker at the terminal.  We just got back from the Equinox a few weeks ago and we didn't even have to go to the desk.  They took our pics and we were on our way.  Cards were at our door.  Took maybe three minutes.

Ok. So you did not scan pics or passport before?  Just filled out the checkin forms?

1 minute ago, zitsky said:

Ok. So you did not scan pics or passport before?  Just filled out the checkin forms?

No, we didn't do that.  I did all of the online check in before hand entering our passport numbers, credit card, etc.  Normally even doing that we would have go to the desk and give them our credit cards and passports, but not this time.  We also didn't have to stop at customs on disembarkation because of facial recognition and we had nothing to declare.

This may be something new with just the Equinox for now, but everything was so quick.

8 minutes ago, zitsky said:

That's what we did (no scanning of pictures or passports) and had the same exact results Terre experienced. Very quick. Of course we were at the embarkation center early with no lines. 

2 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Well I just downloaded the app but its not configured for Silhouette (the ship I'm on next).  It looks like right now it only works for the ships that have gone through the rehab.

According to the app, only these ships are currently supported:

Constellation, Edge, Equinox, Millennium, Reflection, and Summit.

39 minutes ago, Terre said:

I am under the impression that the system you describe is only on new shops or ones that have already gone through the "Revolutionization."

12 minutes ago, davekathy said:

That's what we did (no scanning of pictures or passports) and had the same exact results Terre experienced. Very quick. Of course we were at the embarkation center early with no lines. 

1 minute ago, K.T.B. said:

According to the app, only these ships are currently supported:

Constellation, Edge, Equinox, Millennium, Reflection, and Summit.

We were on Equinox and did not scan anything, just entered the numbers on line in precheck in.  They just took our pic upon arrival, didn't even go to the desk for the pic. We did not download the app. 

6 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

I am under the impression that the system you describe is only on new shops or ones that have already gone through the "Revolutionization."

Not according to the list of ships provided in post # 33. Of that list only the Summit, Millennium and Equinox have been revolutionized. 

We are given choice. If you are old school show up at the pier fill out your forms and get on board.  If you like more convenience fill out info on line and you are ahead of the game.  If you like tech and the ship supports down app and take your picture...this is awesome.  I did this on the Edge and will always go this way if available.  Why?  I like tech and the writing is on wall, learn to do this stuff if you can.  

For now...choice is a beautiful thing and feel free to exercise it.   Happy sailing to all!

12 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Not according to the list of ships provided in post # 33. Of that list only the Summit, Millennium and Equinox have been revolutionized. 

Our next cruise is on Reflection  so I'll be curious to see. We've had some discussion about whether or not the new system of the room cards waiting at the room will be in place or not. Calls to Captains Club say no as do posts by those currently on board. Either way, we'll do our check-in the day it opens,  have our handy-dandy Xpress passes printed and on our phones, will happily accept our welcome aboard bubbly and be onto our next adventure. 

8 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I see that arrivals are scheduled.  If you are early, do you wait?

We didn't have to wait too long, maybe about 30-45 minutes or so.  We are Elite so we were the third group to board I think after the handicapped passengers.  We like to arrive early so we can have lunch and then have plenty of time explore the ship and find restaurants, certain venues, etc., if it's a ship we haven't been on before.  Also, if you happen to be in a port where the ship leaves in the evening, you are able to get off and explore that port if you want to.  We've done this in San Juan.  This also gives me time to get great pics of the ship without a lot of people.  It's just our preference to get on board early.  I know not everyone likes to wait and that's okay.  BTW, we were on board having lunch around 11:15ish.

Edited by Terre

3 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

Our next cruise is on Reflection  so I'll be curious to see. We've had some discussion about whether or not the new system of the room cards waiting at the room will be in place or not. Calls to Captains Club say no as do posts by those currently on board. Either way, we'll do our check-in the day it opens,  have our handy-dandy Xpress passes printed and on our phones, will happily accept our welcome aboard bubbly and be onto our next adventure. 

If you have not been on the Reflection before, you will like it. 

5 minutes ago, Terre said:

If you have not been on the Reflection before, you will like it. 

Agreed, it's our favorite ship.  We haven't sailed on her since December,  2017, which was before they started rolling out the new boarding system where cards were waiting at the room on Revolutionized ships and before the scan-your-passport-upload-a-photo thing started.

2 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

Agreed, it's our favorite ship.  We haven't sailed on her since December,  2017, which was before they started rolling out the new boarding system where cards were waiting at the room on Revolutionized ships and before the scan-your-passport-upload-a-photo thing started.

We sailed on her November of last year and they had not upgraded to the new system then.  I would think it would be soon, though since the Equinox has done it.  I really liked how quick embarkation was and loved that we could put our carry-ons in our cabin right away and leave.  Still had to wait until 1:00 before actually using the room, though, but you didn't have lug your carry-on around!

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

Just did checkin but did not scan passport or take a picture. 

I see that arrivals are scheduled.  If you are early, do you wait?

No you don't have to wait for the time you scheduled to check in. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, davekathy said:

I opened the app and went by the list that Celebrity provided.  :classic_smile:

14 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

I opened the app and went by the list that Celebrity provided.  :classic_smile:

I'm sure the list you provided is probably accurate for ships doing the photo, passport download and having your Sea pass card waiting on your stateroom door. I was just pointing out to another poster that not all the ships that are doing that pre check in process have been revolutionized from the list you provided.

Edited by davekathy

8 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Well I just downloaded the app but its not configured for Silhouette (the ship I'm on next).  It looks like right now it only works for the ships that have gone through the rehab.

I did it on the website, piece of cake.  Only info I had to enter was passport, emergency contact and credit card no.

Edited by Oville

We do not have a scanner.

Not having a  pre scanned passport or photo did not slow us down at all for EDGE check in.  Roving reps did it in seconds.

The delays we experienced  were  because once scanned in,  we were all seated but not by category. Once boarding  was open,  it was a free for all..  Hope they have it better organized by next month.

I know that most folks prefer this plan but we prefer  checking in and getting our cards  from a human being who can  abswer questions, confirm info including our credit card etc... , and without having to visit our stateroom .  But all gives way to technology...

We'll see if it has improved in a few weeks