Celebrity lagging

floridacruisers

In the most recent Conde Nast Traveler readers choice awards, Celebrity is slipping behind:

Large Cruise Ships (2500-4000)

1. Disney 91.77

2. Cunard 90.39

3. HAL 89.55

4. Princess 88.00

5. Celebrity 86.44

6 Carnival 83.57

7. RCI 83.18 (excluding mega ships)

Medium Ships (500-2500)

1. Crystal 97.27

2. Viking 94.47

3. Seabourn 93.35

4.Regent 91.28

5. Cunard 91.16

6. Oceania 90.55

7. Azamara 90.35

8. Silverseas 87.82

9 HAL 87.75

10 Celebrity 82.84

11 P&O 82.30

12 MSC 81.43

13 Princess 80.86

14 NCL 80.50

I would love to be a fly on the wall when LLP trys to explain this.......

Phil.........floridacruisers

• Like 1

Other than the health/cleanliness inspections, these polls are pretty meaningless to me. You can find almost anything to back up your point.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/cruiserschoice_index.cfm?Category=Overall&sort=large

I always laugh when I see Disney near the top of these polls. We tried it once and will never go back. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In my experience Conde Nast surveys are often US-centric.  Many of these cruise lines have a diverse passenger mix from all parts of the world as well as sailings from all five continents ...... you need a truly global survey to get a picture that is more accurate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, floridacruisers said:

In the most recent Conde Nast Traveler readers choice awards, Celebrity is slipping behind:

That's simply not correct:

• For Large Ships, Celebrity is rated 5th, the same position that it held last year, so no slippage there;
  • For Medium Ships, Celebrity moved up from 14th place to 10th, a gain of 4 places;
  • For Small Ships, it moved from 9th to 7th, another gain in the rankings.

So, Celebrity remained the same in one category and improved its ranking in two others. Hardly a case of "slipping behind", and not something that LLP will have any difficulty explaining.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I’ve sailed on 6 out of the 7 cruise lines in the large ship category. I disagree with the ranking of about 6 out of the 7 listed. 😂 Some are flat out laughable. I wouldn’t loose any sleep over it if I were a Celebrity exec.

Edited by Tapi

1 hour ago, sippican said:

I always laugh when I see Disney near the top of these polls. We tried it once and will never go back. 

Yeah, we sailed on the Disney Fantasy and we’re not going back to Disney either, even with small kids. Our dissatisfaction is not with the actual product. In fact we thought it was great. But the overinflated premium charged doesn’t match the actual product delivered. But the average Disney cruiser is blinded by pixie dust and Disney magic. In their eyes, there’s nothing that remotely comes close, which probably helps to unrealistically skew this kind of poll.

But to give credit where credit is due, I do believe that Disney ships are masterpieces. They are beautiful, and there are many wonderful details about their design and construction that the average cruiser misses unless these are pointed out to them. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Tapi said:

I’ve sailed on 6 out of the 7 cruise lines in the large ship category. I disagree with the ranking of about 6 out of the 7 listed. 😂 Some are flat out laughable. I wouldn’t loose any sleep over it if I were a Celebrity exec.

I agree, when I see Silversea below Oceania, or Oceania below Cunard I know something is wrong which confirms this ranking is meaningless.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mom says said:

Thanks for the fact checking Fouremco. I'm more interested in X's comparative movement from year to year than a single poll

Excellent point. I'd also add that a ranking of ships might be a more useful exercise, as there are as many differences from ship to ship as there are from line to line.

19 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

If Fain asks she'll likely answer the way my kids do:  Why hassle me for being 5th when Royal finished 7th.

I think they are in a race to the bottom.  How many more cut-backs coupled with price increases will it take for them to get the message?  I will admit to never having cruised on DCL (their cruise itineraries are too short) but we have been on all the other lines in the Large Ship category and about half in the medium ship category.  Our only comment on the rankings are we think that Celebrity is over ranked!   At one time (perhaps 5 years ago) we would have ranked X near the top.

Hank

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

So, Celebrity remained the same in one category and improved its ranking in two others. Hardly a case of "slipping behind", and not something that LLP will have any difficulty explaining.

Unless LLP told her management that the Edge would be No 1.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

The Condé Nast poll doesn't say otherwise, as it addresses lines, not ships. Of course, Cruise Critic did pick the Edge as the best new ship for 2018, a fact I'm sure she has mentioned many, many, many times. :classic_biggrin: 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

The Condé Nast poll doesn't say otherwise, as it addresses lines, not ships. Of course, Cruise Critic did pick the Edge as the best new ship for 2018, a fact I'm sure she has mentioned many, many, many times. :classic_biggrin: 

Car and Driver picks the Car of the Year based on advertising revenue, I wonder if the best New Ship Award has a similar criteria.  🤔

Edited by ipeeinthepool
  • Like 1

Large Cruise Ships (2500-4000)

1. Disney 91.77

2. Cunard 90.39

3. HAL 89.55

4. Princess 88.00

5. Celebrity 86.44

6 Carnival 83.57

7. RCI 83.18 (excluding mega ships)

We have  cruised Celebrity (11), NCL (7) and Royal C. (2)

Disney and Cunard are way too expensive for us and unless we had Grandchildren on the ship, Disney would be a waste.

We haven't done HAL or Princess, but I always check their prices, still they are never the best deal.

We still like Celebrity.  Dining and Service is still very good, but its prices have pushed us to go with Royal C.  Royal C. has better entertainment and its Dining and Service is just a little below Celebrity.

NCL's prices have shot up with price bundling of promos (so called stripped down sailaway rates never seem to be available on cruises that I look at).

14 hours ago, mom says said:

Thanks for the fact checking Fouremco. I'm more interested in X's comparative movement from year to year than a single poll

On the Berlitz cruising & cruise ship (Douglas Ward), I have noticed that M-classes are losing many points every year. Partly it is also normal: ships are becoming old, so with "old" standards, but in my opinion too much compared other lines, and this on all categories.

[Interesting, the 2020 edition has publication date 29 october 2019, but I altrady got my copy on book shop.]

On the other hand, we are in CruiseCritic (on on cruises, or both), so we know better about quality 😉

14 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I think they are in a race to the bottom.  How many more cut-backs coupled with price increases will it take for them to get the message?  I will admit to never having cruised on DCL (their cruise itineraries are too short) but we have been on all the other lines in the Large Ship category and about half in the medium ship category.  Our only comment on the rankings are we think that Celebrity is over ranked!   At one time (perhaps 5 years ago) we would have ranked X near the top.

Hank

I concur with Hlitner's assessment. The decline of the fundamentals of Celebrity's former quality commenced in 2015.

It was the edible oil coffee creamer (not cream) delivered to my room in February 2015 which was the beginning of the decline for our household. 

It really can be the little things that end a relationship.

15 hours ago, Tapi said:

Yeah, we sailed on the Disney Fantasy and we’re not going back to Disney either, even with small kids. Our dissatisfaction is not with the actual product. In fact we thought it was great. But the overinflated premium charged doesn’t match the actual product delivered. But the average Disney cruiser is blinded by pixie dust and Disney magic. In their eyes, there’s nothing that remotely comes close, which probably helps to unrealistically skew this kind of poll.

But to give credit where credit is due, I do believe that Disney ships are masterpieces. They are beautiful, and there are many wonderful details about their design and construction that the average cruiser misses unless these are pointed out to them. 

I agree completely!

After cruising our adult children all said they'd much rather get their dose of "magic" in WDW and do family cruises on Royal.

Another poll by yet another travel magazine not necessarily dedicated to cruising vacations.  So what?  Will anybody here use it to make a decision on a cruise purchase?  Probably not if you are a member here.  It seems there is boatload of informed (and some uninformed) opinions here on CC.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Pretty hard to do when you get rid of the Sky Lounge, sell rooms with moveable windows as balconies, and your Magic Carpet needs to be renamed the Very Windy Carpet, and they are still working out the bugs.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1