Celebrity lagging

floridacruisers

15 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

The only other X ship being built like the Edge is her twin, Apex.

Beyond, the next new build, is supposed to be larger and different from Edge and Apex.

Thanks for the info. In our opinion larger isn't always better.  We were never impressed when Celebrity first released the design for the Edge. But we'll wait and see what the new builds look like and offer before making up our minds. 

23 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

It is on the wrong end of the ship.  You always had Tuscan Grill for the view out of the rear.  Eden is loud and Sky Lounge is quiet.  A very different experience and a downgrade.

That's your opinion and I'll respect that but that's something we would have to experience for ourselves to be able to make that determination and not word of mouth. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Thanks for the info. In our opinion larger isn't always better.  We were never impressed when Celebrity first released the design for the Edge. But we'll wait and see what the new builds look like and offer before making up our minds. 

The Edge class ships are not everyone’s cup of tea, but IMO, they are refreshing because of their differences. I'm glad to hear that you are keeping an open mind. 😊

3 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

The Edge class ships are not everyone’s cup of tea, but IMO, they are refreshing because of their differences. I'm glad to hear that you are keeping an open mind. 😊

Some on CC have a different opinion of me than that.😉

On 10/15/2019 at 4:04 PM, floridacruisers said:

In the most recent Conde Nast Traveler readers choice awards, Celebrity is slipping behind:

Large Cruise Ships (2500-4000)

1. Disney 91.77

2. Cunard 90.39

3. HAL 89.55

4. Princess 88.00

5. Celebrity 86.44

6 Carnival 83.57

7. RCI 83.18 (excluding mega ships)

Obviously polls can swing wildly all over the place, get the same poll from a different group and the results will be different.

I will say having sailed 6 cruise lines now, the best food, hands down, was Disney. Main dining, specialty dining and especially the experience in Remy.   Beyond that, the best main dining experience was Princess Club Dining level with the dining captain preparing a house special next to the table each evening.

What we've learned is all cruise lines are awesome, all cruise lines are annoying.  There's no single cruise line that is spectacular and meets expectations 100% of the time. We've sailed Celebrity 4 times now and each sailing has been more of a letdown than the previous so we're taking a pause on the line for a while.  That doesn't mean we've had a bad cruise on Celebrity, just don't see the value proposition right now for our vacation dollars.  We'll sail the line again sometime in the future for the right itinerary, or to sail with Captain Kate, but for now, we're on to other cruise lines.

22 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

Eden is the replacement for the Sky Lounge and is used for the occasions/events you mentioned.

Eden is a much more beautiful space than any Sky Lounge that I have ever seen.  I would say it is a good alternative but not a direct replacement as some just like a forward view better.  Honestly in all of our cruises on Celebrity ships we rarely if ever went into the Sky Lounge except for occasionally to the Elite cocktail hour.  It was a large piece of ship real estate that sat near-empty most of the day.  It was used at night for bands and DJ's.  On Edge that happens in The Club.

22 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Eden is a much more beautiful space than any Sky Lounge that I have ever seen.  I would say it is a good alternative but not a direct replacement as some just like a forward view better.  Honestly in all of our cruises on Celebrity ships we rarely if ever went into the Sky Lounge except for occasionally to the Elite cocktail hour.  It was a large piece of ship real estate that sat near-empty most of the day.  It was used at night for bands and DJ's.  On Edge that happens in The Club.

Oh, I didn’t mean to imply that Eden is a “direct replacement” for the Sky Lounge. 😊 But it can be used for all the same purposes that guests have used the Sky Lounge on other ships. On our Edge cruises there was musical entertainment not only in The Club, but also in Eden and at the Martini Bar.

3 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

Oh, I didn’t mean to imply that Eden is a “direct replacement” for the Sky Lounge. 😊 But it can be used for all the same purposes that guests have used the Sky Lounge on other ships. On our Edge cruises there was musical entertainment not only in The Club, but also in Eden and at the Martini Bar.

Rear view vs front view.  I will take the front view every time.  Perhaps they should put the bridge on the rear end of the ship.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

The appeal of SkyLounge is that it is a nice quiet place to go have a drink with a view second to none.  Emphasize quiet and view second to none.  Eden is noisy and loud and difficult to find a seat in that is not obscured.  Edge in general is a noisy ship.  Fine Cuts is noisy.  

Years ago when we were on Oasis we booked our first Celebrity Cruise.  Now it seems like Celebrity is heading towards the crowded and noisy Oasis experience.  Not a fan.

I highly prefer the older Celebrity ships.  More refined quiet and relaxing.

The luxury cruise lines are all smaller ships for a reason.  Yet Celebrity adds room for 400 more people on Edge.  What a downgrade.

If you like Oasis you will like Edge.  Not a fan of either.  Even the spa was packed on Edge on sea days.

Edited by NMTraveller

22 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

The appeal of SkyLounge is that it is a nice quiet place to go have a drink with a view second to none.  Emphasize quiet and view second to none.  Eden is noisy and loud and difficult to find a seat in that is not obscured.  Edge in general is a noisy ship.  Fine Cuts is noisy.  

Years ago when we were on Oasis we booked our first Celebrity Cruise.  Now it seems like Celebrity is heading towards the crowded and noisy Oasis experience.  Not a fan.

I highly prefer the older Celebrity ships.  More refined quiet and relaxing.

The luxury cruise lines are all smaller ships for a reason.  Yet Celebrity adds room for 400 more people on Edge.  What a downgrade.

If you like Oasis you will like Edge.  Not a fan of either.  Even the spa was packed on Edge on sea days.

We did a back to back this year in January.  First Harmony (Oasis class) followed by Edge.  I can absolutely assure you that they are vastly different ships, passengers, and cruise experiences/atmosphere.  We loved both though!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

We did a back to back this year in January.  First Harmony (Oasis class) followed by Edge.  I can absolutely assure you that they are vastly different ships, passengers, and cruise experiences/atmosphere.  We loved both though!

They are different ships and have a different look.  However both ships have the crowded feel.

For example on Oasis we would wait in a long line for the bumper cars or the other attractions.

On Edge the spa is packed and difficult to find a recliner on sea days.  Fine Cuts and Eden are packed.  Buffet is packed.  Again too many people on the ship.  We found the bars and entertainment venues to be loud and shouty.  The older Celebrity ships are much quieter and less crowded.

We love Solstice, Reflection, and Eclipse.  If they built a 1000 or 2000 passenger ship we would be one of the first to book.

I definitely want to go on one of the Galapagos ships.  I would view that as an upgrade and not a downgrade.

Edited by NMTraveller

On 10/15/2019 at 5:39 PM, Fouremco said:

That's simply not correct:

• For Large Ships, Celebrity is rated 5th, the same position that it held last year, so no slippage there;
  • For Medium Ships, Celebrity moved up from 14th place to 10th, a gain of 4 places;
  • For Small Ships, it moved from 9th to 7th, another gain in the rankings.

So, Celebrity remained the same in one category and improved its ranking in two others. Hardly a case of "slipping behind", and not something that LLP will have any difficulty explaining.

On 10/19/2019 at 10:14 AM, NMTraveller said:

The appeal of SkyLounge is that it is a nice quiet place to go have a drink with a view second to none.  Emphasize quiet and view second to none.  Eden is noisy and loud and difficult to find a seat in that is not obscured.  

If you like Oasis you will like Edge.  

To your first point above, on our 3 Edge sailings Eden was our go to place to relax, enjoy reading or just sit and sip a drink watching the wake during the day.  Unlike the Sky Lounge it has character and soul.  Also we never encountered having difficulty  getting a seat in Eden daytime or night.

Secondly, Edge is nothing like the Oasis.  Sorry, but I can’t come up with one thing they have in common.

Sorry to disagree with you but we truly enjoyed Eden and the Edge.

Edited by Oville
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Oville said:

To your first point above, on our 3 Edge sailings Eden was our go to place to relax, enjoy reading or just sit and sip a drink watching the wake during the day.  Unlike the Sky Lounge it has character and soul.  Also we never encountered having difficulty  getting a seat in Eden daytime or night.

Secondly, Edge is nothing like the Oasis.  Sorry, but I can’t come up with one thing they have in common.

Sorry to disagree with you but we truly enjoyed Eden and the Edge.

Both Edge and Oasis are crowded.

You can’t add 400 people to the ship, take several entertainment venues away and expect to get the same experience.  Loud and shouty is my experiece.

The times that we went to Eden it was noisy in the evenings.  Loud and shouty. Plus it was difficult to find a seat that was not in the back.

Was your sailing not fully booked?

Edited by NMTraveller

4 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Both Edge and Oasis are crowded.

You can’t add 400 people to the ship, take several entertainment venues away and expect to get the same experience.  Loud and shouty is my experiece.

I wasn’t expecting the same experience on Edge as the M and S Class ships.  For sure Edge can be quite crowded pre-early seating in the Grand Plaza.  The Oasis analogy I just don’t get.

29 minutes ago, Oville said:

I wasn’t expecting the same experience on Edge as the M and S Class ships.  For sure Edge can be quite crowded pre-early seating in the Grand Plaza.  The Oasis analogy I just don’t get.

29 minutes ago, Oville said:

Oasis is a mega ship that is crowded.  

Edge is headed in the wrong direction.  The whole Edge ship is crowded, from specialty dining to the spa to the buffet.  A true let down from the M and S class ships.

Fine Cuts is crowded and Loud and Shouty.  A true downgrade.

If you want crowded and loud and shouty there are a bunch of more economical choices. 

The Edge is definitely not a premium ship.

Not quite the Oasis crowded experience but getting there.

I do like the M and S class ships!

I was expecting a better experience on Edge but it was a downgrade.

Edited by NMTraveller

On 10/19/2019 at 10:14 AM, NMTraveller said:

Edge is not even close to the Oasis class ships.  The crew on Harmony of the Seas is only 600 less than Edge's sailing capacity  Harmony / Oasis class is almost twice as wide as Edge and over 100,000lbs more gross tonnage.  To say that Edge is like an Oasis class ship really is a minsomer, not to mention Celebrity has none of the family friend entertainment around the ship (flowriders, minigolf, rope courses, adventure pools, etc.......)

The only thing close between these two classes of ship is the length. Other than that, really cannot compare and say "If you like Oasis you'll like Edge" because there are SO MANY things to do on an Oasis class ship that are absent on any Celebrity ship, even the Edge.  

I really loved the Silhouette on our very first Celebrity sail.  Now after four cruises on the Solstice class ships, we're finding them very stale. Same shows, same menus, same everything, even after the Equinox revolution.  We would like to try one of the smaller ships because they seem to be the most interesting ships in the Celebrity lineup today.

EDGE HARMONY.jpg

13 minutes ago, creativegenius said:

Edge is not even close to the Oasis class ships.  The crew on Harmony of the Seas is only 600 less than Edge's sailing capacity  Harmony / Oasis class is almost twice as wide as Edge and over 100,000lbs more gross tonnage.  To say that Edge is like an Oasis class ship really is a minsomer, not to mention Celebrity has none of the family friend entertainment around the ship (flowriders, minigolf, rope courses, adventure pools, etc.......)

The only thing close between these two classes of ship is the length. Other than that, really cannot compare and say "If you like Oasis you'll like Edge" because there are SO MANY things to do on an Oasis class ship that are absent on any Celebrity ship, even the Edge.  

I really loved the Silhouette on our very first Celebrity sail.  Now after four cruises on the Solstice class ships, we're finding them very stale. Same shows, same menus, same everything, even after the Equinox revolution.  We would like to try one of the smaller ships because they seem to be the most interesting ships in the Celebrity lineup today.

EDGE HARMONY.jpg

My point was that Edge is crowded like Oasis.

Adding more passengers on board and getting rid of entertainment venues only lessens the cruise experience.

They should refresh the menus and entertainment on the Solstice not create an Edge/Oasis experience with overcrowding.  

I would also love to sail the smaller Celebrity ships.  I do not plan to sail the crowded Apex.

Edited by NMTraveller

21 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

They are different ships and have a different look.  However both ships have the crowded feel.

For example on Oasis we would wait in a long line for the bumper cars or the other attractions.

On Edge the spa is packed and difficult to find a recliner on sea days.  Fine Cuts and Eden are packed.  Buffet is packed.  Again too many people on the ship.  We found the bars and entertainment venues to be loud and shouty.  The older Celebrity ships are much quieter and less crowded.

We love Solstice, Reflection, and Eclipse.  If they built a 1000 or 2000 passenger ship we would be one of the first to book.

I definitely want to go on one of the Galapagos ships.  I would view that as an upgrade and not a downgrade.

We also much prefer S-Class.  Our next two cruises are on Eclipse and Reflection.  Looking for an opportunity to try the revolutionized M-Class too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, deliver42 said:

The Oasis Class doesn't have bumper cars. Are you sure you weren't on a Quantum Class?That's the only class with bumper cars. In the U.S. the only Quantum Class is the Anthem of the Seas.

2 hours ago, deliver42 said:

The Oasis Class doesn't have bumper cars. Are you sure you weren't on a Quantum Class?That's the only class with bumper cars. In the U.S. the only Quantum Class is the Anthem of the Seas.

You are right.  I have been on both as well as Freedom.  They are all crowded experiences.  I went to Celebrity because I did not want the crowded experience on RCL and they brought it back with Edge.

Edited by NMTraveller

2 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

You are right.  I have been on both as well as Freedom.  They are all crowded experiences.  I went to Celebrity because I did not want the crowded experience on RCL and they brought it back with Edge.

At least the Royal ships have wide interior promenades.  On X's S class ships sidewalk sales cause absolute gridlock.

On 10/16/2019 at 12:59 PM, 4774Papa said:

In the most recent Conde Nast Traveler readers choice awards, Celebrity is slipping behind:

Large Cruise Ships (2500-4000)

1. Disney 91.77

2. Cunard 90.39

3. HAL 89.55

4. Princess 88.00

5. Celebrity 86.44

6 Carnival 83.57

7. RCI 83.18 (excluding mega ships)

We have  cruised Celebrity (11), NCL (7) and Royal C. (2)

Disney and Cunard are way too expensive for us and unless we had Grandchildren on the ship, Disney would be a waste.

We haven't done HAL or Princess, but I always check their prices, still they are never the best deal.

We still like Celebrity.  Dining and Service is still very good, but its prices have pushed us to go with Royal C.  Royal C. has better entertainment and its Dining and Service is just a little below Celebrity.

NCL's prices have shot up with price bundling of promos (so called stripped down sailaway rates never seem to be available on cruises that I look at).

Oops sorry, posted before I added my comment. I was interested that you’ve switched from Celebrity to Royal C because of better prices. We’ve just gone in the opposite direction because we found Celebrity cruises better value. We have our first cruise on Reflection next week and we are booked on Connie in October next year. Couldn’t get close to matching prices or itineraries on Royal. 
However I suppose a lot depends on where you’re cruising.

Edited by Cat4158
Missing comment!