BEST TIME TO DO ESCAPE JOST VAN DYKE

TRAVELBUGCRUISER

Hey Everyone

We're on the Encore Nov 24-1, 2019. We have a stop in Tortola and want to check out the Escape to Jost Van Dyke tour on the Rebel Yell. There are two times available 8:15am and 10:00am. We WANT to do the 10am one, however we're worried if we choose the late depature, there may not be much room on the beach once we get there. Does it get really full and busy? Whats the best time to go? Thanks!:)

On 10/15/2019 at 9:50 PM, TRAVELBUGCRUISER said:

Hey Everyone

We're on the Encore Nov 24-1, 2019. We have a stop in Tortola and want to check out the Escape to Jost Van Dyke tour on the Rebel Yell. There are two times available 8:15am and 10:00am. We WANT to do the 10am one, however we're worried if we choose the late depature, there may not be much room on the beach once we get there. Does it get really full and busy? Whats the best time to go? Thanks!:)

One thing to remember is the 8:15 people will be leaving the beach shortly after the 10:00 trip gets there. It works out very well. 

We did the late trip and had no problem at all.

Edited by beerman2

Just a suggestion. The last time we went to Tortola and JVD we got a group of 12 people and chartered a boat to Soggy Dollar Bar. We left at 9:30 am. We saw both of the Rebel Yell tours come and go. We left at 3:00. Got back to the ship in plenty of time. Google JVD Carters.

• Like 1

We are on the same cruise on the Encore.  We are doing the 10:00 as well.   Plenty of Beach and it seems to be a better time to eat and drink on the beach.  This will be our 2nd time on this trip and you will have a great time.  You should join us on a bar crawl while on the beach.  Just 5 bars and a good time

I have done this 3 times, and always done the second time slot.  There was never any problem finding chairs.  Its one of my all time favorite excursions.  It is so beautiful there.  Say hi to Captain Claudia if she is still doing it.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies. I went to book it today and noticed that the Escape Jost Van Dyke excursion is no longer available for purchase or sold out. I had it in my cart, but of course now I cant book. Does anyone know if they may add more times? Otherwise, I'll explore other options. :)

I'd call to see if it is available, but it is likely that it is sold out. I think this excursion sells out quickly -- especially on larger ships.

We've done this twice and both times have done the early excursion. We like having less of a crowd when we get there. The bars will be serving drinks early, but some may not serve food until a bit later.

The last time we were there (February) people on the late excursion did not seem to have issues finding a chair. The first time we went, people on the late excursion were having issues finding a place to sit, but fewer bars were open then. Both times we left about an hour after the second excursion arrived.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TRAVELBUGCRUISER said:

Thanks for all the replies. I went to book it today and noticed that the Escape Jost Van Dyke excursion is no longer available for purchase or sold out. I had it in my cart, but of course now I cant book. Does anyone know if they may add more times? Otherwise, I'll explore other options. 🙂

It sells out fast, but on our cruise several years ago, a second time slot opened up. The captain of the Rebel Yell told us it was because another ship didn’t sell enough, so NCL got to offer it.  So you never know. 

I was last there in Dec18.   I think we the later trip and there was plenty of time to enjoy it. The transfer is about 45 minutes if I recall correctly. 

Check out the newer beach bar next door to Soggy Dollar—-if you are standing in the water — To the right. ( I think it’s called Hendo’s?). I found it to be much better quality.  Food, drinks, vibe and service were all very good! 

14 hours ago, TRAVELBUGCRUISER said:

Thanks for all the replies. I went to book it today and noticed that the Escape Jost Van Dyke excursion is no longer available for purchase or sold out. I had it in my cart, but of course now I cant book. Does anyone know if they may add more times? Otherwise, I'll explore other options. 🙂

If NCL had 2 listed they won't add another (time constraints). You can either keep checking our maybe try to find a group of people (Roll Call) you may be interested and book a private charter.

Trying to remember some of them ( Magic Mitch) comes to mind. Google private charters to JVD and some will pop up.

JVD is worth it in my opinion.

14 hours ago, brookie848 said:

I'd call to see if it is available, but it is likely that it is sold out. I think this excursion sells out quickly -- especially on larger ships.

We've done this twice and both times have done the early excursion. We like having less of a crowd when we get there. The bars will be serving drinks early, but some may not serve food until a bit later.

The last time we were there (February) people on the late excursion did not seem to have issues finding a chair. The first time we went, people on the late excursion were having issues finding a place to sit, but fewer bars were open then. Both times we left about an hour after the second excursion arrived.

I chose the early slot for our sailing on the Encore, January 19, so I'm happy to hear that you had a good time in February.

I had been flip flopping on this a little when I first booked it as I was concerned with the temp there in January earlier in the day. I'm going with my wife and 19yo daughter who instructed me to take the early slot so we could return to the ship and have a few hours of semi uncrowded time on the pool deck.

We're not too concerned with food earlier in the day too as we'll eat when we return to the ship. I'm sure, as you said, we'll be able to order drinks somewhere by 10am, the latest.

Anyway, we're really looking forward to this excursion as we love pretty beaches and while it's not a long stay, it'll be ok for us.

2 hours ago, Bermudian Cruiser said:

I was last there in Dec18.   I think we the later trip and there was plenty of time to enjoy it. The transfer is about 45 minutes if I recall correctly. 

Check out the newer beach bar next door to Soggy Dollar—-if you are standing in the water — To the right. ( I think it’s called Hendo’s?). I found it to be much better quality.  Food, drinks, vibe and service were all very good! 

So, just to be clear, if you're facing the beach this newer bar is to the right of Soggy Dollar?

Do they have chairs available by them too?

TIA

5 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

I chose the early slot for our sailing on the Encore, January 19, so I'm happy to hear that you had a good time in February.

I had been flip flopping on this a little when I first booked it as I was concerned with the temp there in January earlier in the day. I'm going with my wife and 19yo daughter who instructed me to take the early slot so we could return to the ship and have a few hours of semi uncrowded time on the pool deck.

We're not too concerned with food earlier in the day too as we'll eat when we return to the ship. I'm sure, as you said, we'll be able to order drinks somewhere by 10am, the latest.

Anyway, we're really looking forward to this excursion as we love pretty beaches and while it's not a long stay, it'll be ok for us.

Soggy Dollar will be serving drinks as soon as you arrive. I'm sure the other bars will, too. 

We like the early trip (especially if it is the last day of the cruise) so we can get back to the ship while it is still quiet and have time to pack. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

So, just to be clear, if you're facing the beach this newer bar is to the right of Soggy Dollar?

Do they have chairs available by them too?

TIA

Hi TIA.. yes, that's correct!   I found the exact name-- " Hendo's Hideout"  I recall there were plenty of free loungers.  Oh and if you go, they make this amazing cocktail on their drinks menu with coconut milk, lime juice, rum.  Just a bit of sweetness, not blended but shaken and poured over ice... YUM I think I had about 8 of them.  HA!

---the things you remember from a vacation!  LOL

Cheers from The Berm!

Some great pics:

https://www.google.com/search?safe=strict&rlz=1C1GGRV_enBM857BM857&q=hendo%27s+hideout&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwifqMb3s7LlAhUEUt8KHUYDAGwQsAR6BAgJEAE&biw=1920&bih=969

Edited by Bermudian Cruiser

11 minutes ago, Bermudian Cruiser said:

Hi TIA.. yes, that's correct!   I found the exact name-- " Hendo's Hideout"  I recall there were plenty of free loungers.  Oh and if you go, they make this amazing cocktail on their drinks menu with coconut milk, lime juice, rum.  Just a bit of sweetness, not blended but shaken and poured over ice... YUM I think I had about 8 of them.  HA!

---the things you remember from a vacation!  LOL

Cheers from The Berm!

Some great pics:

https://www.google.com/search?safe=strict&rlz=1C1GGRV_enBM857BM857&q=hendo%27s+hideout&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwifqMb3s7LlAhUEUt8KHUYDAGwQsAR6BAgJEAE&biw=1920&bih=969

Lol! Thanks!

I actually have to correct you. TIA is not my name. It meant "thanks in advance"

But a big thank you for the recommendation and the pics.

It looks like an awesome beach and I love that there are bar options.

And I bet my wife and daughter will love that drink you mentioned too.

Thanks again,

Brian

6 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

Lol! Thanks!

I actually have to correct you. TIA is not my name. It meant "thanks in advance"

But a big thank you for the recommendation and the pics.

It looks like an awesome beach and I love that there are bar options.

And I bet my wife and daughter will love that drink you mentioned too.

Thanks again,

Brian

DUH.. TIA-- of course! sorry wasn't paying attention. HA.

Have a great time Brian!

Darren

• Like 1

Morning is awesome... afternoon is awesome... We normally do morning as it does get busier with sail boats in the afternoon.  If you have a bigger group look to just get a private charter, a little cheaper and you get to spend all day there.