Formal Nights

Mostonian

30 minutes ago, Trevor Fountain said:

Miss P, I respect totally what you are saying, but why then bother to print on the front of Patter, what this evenings dress code is? No point. Just leave it blank and let everybody dress as they wish, with the minimum of restrictions.

I suppose that might be a solution. 

At least it would give those people an option that didn't really want to dress up to begin with. I'm sure there are many in that category that wouldn't have gone to the trouble in the first place but only do so because of what they openly publish. 

They do hide their minimum clothing suggestions in their on-line documents but you really have to go out of you way to find it. 

I wish I had a dollar for every time this subject comes up...I could extend my December cruise for another week.  LOL!!!

It's a simple answer to what many make out to be a complex situation:  if you want to be formal, be formal...if you don't good for you.  Just don't understand why each side tries to outdo the other on why their solution is best.

We always dress to the max...our group of 12 will have 6 gentlemen in very nice Tuxedos and the ladies will look marvelous!  But that's because we enjoy dressing up when our normal dress each day is scrubs, or a military uniform, etc...  We love to dress up and can give a rat's *** if the folks sitting beside us are wearing pajamas.

What I don't understand though are those fighting for Princess to make a change to their written policy.  If they will let you get away with not following it, then why bother changing it.  What it does, for those new to cruising, is give them an unbiased guideline as to what Princess would like to see on Formal nights.  As long as those newbies avoid CC they will never know the difference.  LOL!  Bottom Line:  dress however you wish...have fun...quit worrying about what I'm wearing...because I sure don't worry about you!!

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Potstech said:

Ever notice those pushing a formal dress requirement for all seem o want to insult others in an attempt to try to convince others to do things according to their agenda.

🤣 like when the most intolerant ask for more tolerance.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Potstech said:

Ever notice those pushing a formal dress requirement for all seem o want to insult others in an attempt to try to convince others to do things according to their agenda.

I personally do not have a preference about formal or non formal on ships. The fact they have them does not bother me. If the dress code night is formal then I will dress formal. If it is casual then I will dress casual.

My observations are that some people cannot even dress casual properly let alone formal so whats the difference?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 1:02 PM, Kimba2 said:

This is why we sail Princess - so we don't have to dress up.  I get a kick out of those who are so concerned with the way others dress.  

Sailed on the Crown several times - never had any problem with not dressing formal.  Majority of passengers just don't dress up for formal nights.

We don't go all out, but do make a reasonable attempt. If staff tried to seat anyone at our table(at night) dressed in shorts/ball cap/t-shirt etc. I would tell the staff to please seat them elsewhere. My choice, simple as that.

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 12:11 PM, cruisegal415 said:

Do formal nights only apply to MDR? Not a fan of formal nights and wondering if we should book the specialty restaurants those nights, or would we be expected to dress formal there also?

Yes, only the MDR. I mean, is it too really  hard to wear a nice shirt & perhaps a tie or a shirt & vest? Or perhaps a sport coat with or without tie. If you're expecting shorts & ball caps in the MDR the staff may object. I won't let staff seat anyone dressed like that at our table at night.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Potstech said:

True, but not like the "casual" crowd has never made insults?

On 10/30/2019 at 4:31 PM, Iamcruzin said:

While this was the rule in the past, fashion has no rules. There is men's shirt website called UNTUCKit. The shirts are basically curved at the bottom but cut shorter so you can't tuck them in.

https://www.untuckit.com/

Just another marketing scam from a clothing sales outfit to convince people to pay more for less.

5 hours ago, brisalta said:

Just another marketing scam from a clothing sales outfit to convince people to pay more for less.

They have stores all over the US in upscale  neighborhoods and malls. Too pricey for me but I have untuck shirts that I purchased in Kohl's for $19.99. They have been a trend for a few years now.

16 hours ago, keithm said:

Yes, only the MDR. I mean, is it too really  hard to wear a nice shirt & perhaps a tie or a shirt & vest? Or perhaps a sport coat with or without tie. If you're expecting shorts & ball caps in the MDR the staff may object. I won't let staff seat anyone dressed like that at our table at night.

You won't let them?  Wow

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, stoneharborlady said:

You won't let them?  Wow

I guess some people just don't like associating with the lower classes. 

Although we don't dress in that fashion, I would never have the nerve to tell someone they couldn't sit at "my table". :classic_unsure:

After all it is a cruise ship not you own private yacht. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MissP22 said:

As does renting formal clothing aboard the ships for those that care to partake. :classic_laugh:

So some want to pay more for clothes just to make someone else, who they do not know, feel good for less than 4 hours out of a 168 hour week.  Not worth it to us.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, keithm said:

We don't go all out, but do make a reasonable attempt. If staff tried to seat anyone at our table(at night) dressed in shorts/ball cap/t-shirt etc. I would tell the staff to please seat them elsewhere. My choice, simple as that.

And they should tell the staff they prefer to sit right there.  Then the choice is yours wether to stay or get up and demand a different table. Either way the ones being embarassed will not be the new group.

Edited by Potstech
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, Potstech said:

True but the major group doing the insulting, even on this thread are those pushing formal wear.

It's gone both ways. Not really seen anything really nasty on this thread. Quick off post question..We're booked on the Jan.27 Hawaii cruise on the Star. Are you familiar with the ship? If so, what's your opinion of it?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Potstech said:

And they should tell the staff they prefer to sit right there.  Then the choice is yours wether to stay or get up and demand a different table. Either way the ones being embarassed will not be the new group.

We only do tables for 2. Wanted to get a kick out of responses.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Potstech said:

So some want to pay more for clothes just to make someone else, who they do not know, feel good for less than 4 hours out of a 168 hour week.  Not worth it to us.

Especially when it's a pair of jeans with holes, with some designer's name(likely now dead) on it & wow! $400.

Also just "something" about renting clothes that dozens of people have worn before me. Basically, we're going to bring a few vests & a few ties, some nice shirts, some nice khaki pants & good boat shoes & 2 sport coats & do a mix & match. Worked fine on Oceania(though we never wore the ties, way too warm)Should be fine for Princess.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, keithm said:

It's gone both ways. Not really seen anything really nasty on this thread. Quick off post question..We're booked on the Jan.27 Hawaii cruise on the Star. Are you familiar with the ship? If so, what's your opinion of it?

Was on the Star many years ago. Standard Princess cruise ship with no memrial problems.

I once sat at a table in TD for eight.  One couple always wore formal clothes, another couple wore the less formal cocktail dress and suit and tie, one couple wore the nicer clothes like sport coat and tie and the last couple had open collar shirt, dockers and nice pants and top.  We all got along quite well and no one was offended by what the others wore.  So where is the problem?

BTW I was one of the last two. 

• Like 2