Distilled Water

Cruzinram

You can have your TA request it in advance and it will be charged to your credit card immediately. The gallon jug will be in your cabin when you arrive. 
Or, (or if you need more during the cruise), you can just call room service and it will be delivered. There will be a bar charge on your account, so if there's a bar you haven't been to, especially for a small charge of $4.95, don't be surprised. 

I have found the gallon I ordered in advance always costs less than the one I need to order on board. Strange. 

3 hours ago, Jareds_mommytoo said:

Is where you pre order stuff for your room its $2.95 its under beverages and water 

Thanks for the info.  Just ordered mine for January Zuiderdam cruise.

Edited by doublebzz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, daisy-mae said:

Nice to know that it is available.

There was a lengthy thread on the MSC Board recently about their policy of not providing distilled water, even if the guest is willing to pay.

Thank you for drawing our attention to the lively discussion on the MSC board. As a cpap user myself, I was interestedly curious about why MSC would not provide distilled water. I inferred, incorrectly as it turns out, that MSC was prohibiting the use of distilled water, which is not what daisy-mae reported and not MSC's policy. Apparently, MSC has simply decided that its passengers who require cpap assistance must attend to their machines and all accoutrements -- hoses, masks, power cords, and, yes, distilled water -- on their own. Just as we see on this board, MSC has its own base of loyal customers who give their favorite cruise line the benefit of every doubt; others grouse about this practice/policy as an instance of poor customer service.

I am grateful that I can count on my favorite cruise line to sell me the distilled water as needed, at a price that is fair (by cruise-ship standards).

Incidentally, when I recently was prescribed a new, upgraded cpap machine, I was told that, for the make and model I was acquiring, distilled water had shifted from a "must have" to a "nice to have": if the tap water is safe to drink, it's ok to use for short intervals in my cpap machine. On our last cruise (2 weeks in the Baltic aboard the Rotterdam), I did without distilled water. Haven't died yet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Petronillus said:

Incidentally, when I recently was prescribed a new, upgraded cpap machine, I was told that, for the make and model I was acquiring, distilled water had shifted from a "must have" to a "nice to have": if the tap water is safe to drink, it's ok to use for short intervals in my cpap machine. On our last cruise (2 weeks in the Baltic aboard the Rotterdam), I did without distilled water. Haven't died yet.

Most CPAP's will tolerate tap water for short periods, usually requiring a descaling more frequently.  The one thing I would recommend if using the ship's tap water for a CPAP is to let the water sit in an open container for several hours before using it in the machine.  This allows the residual chlorine to dissipate (which normally happens when tap water sits in the pipes leading to your house for hours/days) and I would not recommend breathing chlorine vapors.

Also, if you get friendly with your cabin steward, most of them know someone in the engineering department, and they can fill a water jug with distilled straight from the evaporator when at sea.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CruisinNana said:

I ordered it on line for $2.95.  We leave this weekend. I fully expect it to be in my cabin.  I will report after we arrive.

Don’t count on it!   Unfortunately, even with a preorder and leaving out of Fort Lauderdale we didn’t receive any until they got it off another ship the next day.

I have ordered distilled water from the website for many cruises over the years.  We have gotten it when boarding in Athens, Venice, Barcelona, San Diego, Ft. Laurerdale, and Rotterdam.   In Europe the jug is usually 4 or 5 liters.  In the US ports, it is a US gallon.   I go through a gallon in 2 weeks.   A long time ago, the cost was $4.95 per gallon, but in 2017, the price is now $2.95 and we have never been disappointed with delivery in our cabin upon arrival.

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Most CPAP's will tolerate tap water for short periods, usually requiring a descaling more frequently.  The one thing I would recommend if using the ship's tap water for a CPAP is to let the water sit in an open container for several hours before using it in the machine.  This allows the residual chlorine to dissipate (which normally happens when tap water sits in the pipes leading to your house for hours/days) and I would not recommend breathing chlorine vapors.

Also, if you get friendly with your cabin steward, most of them know someone in the engineering department, and they can fill a water jug with distilled straight from the evaporator when at sea.

Wow! Thanks for the tips! This, imho, is CC at its best.

1 hour ago, TAD2005 said:

In Europe the jug is usually 4 or 5 liters. 

Of the many times I have ordered distilled water to my cabin in Europe, only once was it delivered in one of those huge jugs. Thankfully! 

I wasn't able to open it, nor was I able to lift it to put the water in the CPAP reservoir. I had to ask my steward to do it every day until it got down to about a gallon's worth. 

23 hours ago, dockman said:

hmm...i preordered it...wasn't in room on arrival..told cabin steward and he brought a gallon...i didn't ask cost but showed up on my room tab at $4.95 for the gallon....this was in sep 2019 on westerdam

Did you bring your printed receipt generated when you purchased the $2.95 jug of water online ?  With that receipt, you should have received the water with no charge.   Occasionally, online purchases do not make it to the ship, especially if the purchase happens in the last few days before departure.   No matter what you purchase online, you should always printout the receipt and bring it with you.   

My husband has a CPAP that recommended using distilled water. I order the distilled water, and it’s always on the cabin desk when we get there.  He has recently been diagnosed with COPD, so I want to make sure he has what he needs. $2.95 is definitely affordable, and you can drink it, too!

12 hours ago, jakkojakko said:

Mm apparently there are cpaps that just use regular tapwater. My wife is now using one for three months, including a three week cruise, and has no problem what so ever.

On many CPAP machines, the CPAP humidifier component heats the water to humidify the air blown into the mask.   If your local water supply has lots of minerals in it, like well water, then those minerals will be deposited on the water reservoir and sometimes difficult to remove.   I stayed in a villa on the island of St. Maarten for a month and distilled water was not available.   So I used the local tap water.  The water in St. Maarten is desalinated Caribbean Sea water.   Very expensive, compared to water rates in the US, but after 30 days of constant use of the desalinated water, I had no scale or residue in my CPAP reservoir.   Cruise ships also use desalinated water for a good portion of their potable water.   But I still order a couple of jugs when I cruise.   If your CPAP machine doesn't heat the water to humidify the blown air,  then regular tap water will be fine.  If you can drink it safely, you certainly can inhale it.

I have used a CPAP machine on over 20 cruises on 4 different cruise lines.  My machine has a humidifier that heats the water.  I generally use the ship tap water and have never had a problem with accumulation of residue in my water reservoir.  However, I do wash it out with soap and water every few days.  Due to extreme allergies, I do a nasal rinse each morning.  I do order distilled water for that purpose.  No brain eating amoebas for me.

A gallon of distilled water is free for the asking on Princess.  Wonder what HAL and MSC are thinking, certainly not customer service.  While I obviously can't object to paying $2.95 or $4.95 for an 88 cent jug of distilled water, it's just weird that there is an issue at all given one cruise line has no problem providing it.  How much are we paying for this cabin?

17 hours ago, Ferd Berfle said:

A gallon of distilled water is free for the asking on Princess.  Wonder what HAL and MSC are thinking, certainly not customer service.  While I obviously can't object to paying $2.95 or $4.95 for an 88 cent jug of distilled water, it's just weird that there is an issue at all given one cruise line has no problem providing it.  How much are we paying for this cabin?

Princess also charges 18% service charge for any beverage, even water and soda.   So, yes, you save $2.95 on distilled water, but you pay 3% more for the service charge.   It all washes in the end.

About 6 years ago I got a new C-Pap machine.  The "new one" said that distilled water was optional.  When home I used distilled water but on several, 2+ month cruises I used tap water.  After my first such cruise I did have my machine checked and was told that they would never have know I did not been using distilled water.  Thankfully about 4 years ago I had surgery that eliminated the need for the C-Pap.  However, no promises that the need won't return (Ugh).  While the possibility of return to a C-pap is not exciting, in the realm of Medical therapies,  the use of the machine is a minor bother compared to what is needed by many!

Reporting back on receiving pre-ordered distilled water for $2.95 on the Zuiderdam....it was waiting in our beautiful suite when we entered the cabin at 11:25!
       We have had a little trouble getting the air conditioning cool enough.  The engineer worked on it and it is definitely better, and I hope it can maintain the cooler temp in the heat of the day.