Safe to check car seat at port?

flyingandcruising

no. We always brought the car seat with us as carry-on luggage through the port  - it was attached to a magna cart with bungee cords for convenience.

Like this:

I highly recommend checking out this board: https://community.babycenter.com/groups/a10635/traveling-with-children

and their photo club:

https://community.babycenter.com/post/a73236352

IMG_1789-225x300.jpg

71luZg4hg4L__SL256_.jpg

kWlMJX4LlBn0diSHW3psarp13ugNuki4_lg.jpg

Go-GoBabyz-Travelmate-Review-Installed-with-Cosco-Scenera.jpg

1daa2c7045f4772e756df20629b0410c.jpg

On 10/18/2019 at 3:05 PM, flyingandcruising said:

Thanks for replies.

We have two kids, going to be 6 months and 4.5 years at sailing so we're just trying to not carry on so much. The reason we want to bring car seats, is that we are considering renting cars in a few ports.

how heavy and tall is the 4.5 yo? Is he/she mature enough to stay properly seated in a no back booster?

This is how we travel with ours:

I know car seats are very expensive in Canada, compared to the States. If you do bring a car seat on the plane, have your kid sit in it, instead of checking it in at the gate. That's the only way to make sure it doesn't get damaged.

20181224_152934.jpg

20181224_152950.jpg

On 10/19/2019 at 5:54 PM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

how heavy and tall is the 4.5 yo? Is he/she mature enough to stay properly seated in a no back booster?

This is how we travel with ours:

I know car seats are very expensive in Canada, compared to the States. If you do bring a car seat on the plane, have your kid sit in it, instead of checking it in at the gate. That's the only way to make sure it doesn't get damaged.

20181224_152934.jpg

20181224_152950.jpg

Love this design...Where did you get it ?

7 hours ago, Ashland said:

Love this design...Where did you get it ?

walmart. That's a Harmony Youth (Juvenile) booster.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Harmony-Juvenile-Youth-Backless-Booster-Car-Seat-Hot-Rod/16939672?selected=true

it used to cost $12. You could probably still find it at an actual walmart for less.

Here is another booster that is great for traveling: Graco Turbo Go Folding booster.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Graco-Turbo-GO-Folding-Backless-Booster-Car-Seat-Sapphire-Navy/923454942?selected=true

Please do not use no back boosters  with kids younger than 4, lighter than 40# and shorter than about 45". And only for short distances. And the kid has to be mature enough to stay seated properly in a booster for the entire ride. If they don't - bad things can happen in seconds. A booster is not going to save a kid's life if it's not used properly.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

On 10/27/2019 at 6:33 AM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

walmart. That's a Harmony Youth (Juvenile) booster.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Harmony-Juvenile-Youth-Backless-Booster-Car-Seat-Hot-Rod/16939672?selected=true

it used to cost $12. You could probably still find it at an actual walmart for less.

Here is another booster that is great for traveling: Graco Turbo Go Folding booster.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Graco-Turbo-GO-Folding-Backless-Booster-Car-Seat-Sapphire-Navy/923454942?selected=true

Please do not use no back boosters  with kids younger than 4, lighter than 40# and shorter than about 45". And only for short distances. And the kid has to be mature enough to stay seated properly in a booster for the entire ride. If they don't - bad things can happen in seconds. A booster is not going to save a kid's life if it's not used properly.

Thanks...I'm just interested in the design and to use it for either of my 6 & 5 year old grandsons on the occasional times their in my car.

Oh darn....not available for pick up or delivery in my area...very surprised since I'm in SoCal !!

Perhaps it's discontinued.

Edited by Ashland

8 hours ago, Ashland said:

Thanks...I'm just interested in the design and to use it for either of my 6 & 5 year old grandsons on the occasional times their in my car.

Oh darn....not available for pick up or delivery in my area...very surprised since I'm in SoCal !!

Perhaps it's discontinued.

as long as your 5 and 6 yo grandkids are over 40#, you should also look into bubble bum boosters. They are a bit more expensive, but very easy to travel with.

But we travel with a Harmony Youth booster. It's not discontinued.... If you are not set on the design, but do need a backless booster for an occasional use - Cosco Rise is around $13-15 at walmart as well.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

On 11/1/2019 at 7:02 AM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

as long as your 5 and 6 yo grandkids are over 40#, you should also look into bubble bum boosters. They are a bit more expensive, but very easy to travel with.

But we travel with a Harmony Youth booster. It's not discontinued.... If you are not set on the design, but do need a backless booster for an occasional use - Cosco Rise is around $13-15 at walmart as well.

I already have a couple of Bubble Bum boosters but they seem a bit on the small side....(not interested in using them for other than traveling)...Wanting something for occasional at home use.

The youth booster you pictured (design) would have been great...Yes I've seen the Cosco Rise ($13.00) at my local Walmart but just a plain black...it was the design that caught my eye...I'll just keep checking...but thanks.