October 8 Riviera Sailing New England

ChappChapp

I'm not on this cruise, nor I was on yours ... but I don't see how sea/weather conditions one year can be assumed to be the same the next year.

Have I misunderstood your question?

Mura

• Like 1

Wondering if the bomb cyclone off the east coast is affecting the seas where you are sailing. Last spring, we were on a cruise that had to deal with a bomb cyclone.  Stayed in a safe port 2 days until it was supposedly past. It was still a very unstable ride. Skipped 2 ports.  

Just asking because it seems fall cruises to New England are very dicy with timing . There is a big storm off the New England coast with 50 mile an hour winds ,a bomb cyclone. People are always asking when is the best time for these cruises to see fall color but neglect the possibility of bad weather affecting the voyage. Last year we missed 3 ports, Bar Harbor, Halifax and St John due to rough seas. Then we had snow and pretty cold temps in Quebec and Montreal. This year the weather seems to be just as bad but a week or two earlier. I was also wondering how the larger ship the Riviera was handling it.

• Like 1

We are on board the Riviera right now. Today was supposed to be Boston but we are skipping it. We sailed from Bar Harbor yesterday and spent the night sheltered at anchor off some little islands. It is dark and foggy but, at least here, the conditions are very calm. Not sure when we will set sail to Newport, Rhode Island. 

E9DA6C05-D7DF-4429-A673-3074B611F061.jpeg

• Like 1

Nova Scotia  has some bad weather on the way 

it is the time of the year  for bad weather systems down east

I guess if you want to see fall colours  you need a land trip 😉

we went north of  us last week they were beautiful  reds/oranges

23 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

He's correct Lynne, they were predicting a Bomb Cyclone for the New England, last night, but it did not materialize.

Mostly heavy downpours instead 

It materialized here in Massachusetts. We still have pretty strong winds here 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 60 but nothing like last night with gust nearing 90 mph in some spots. Most of our region is still without power, trees down everywhere and many boats in our harbor were just pummeled. Glad Oceania is making adjustments to keep all safe! 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

He's correct Lynne, they were predicting a Bomb Cyclone for the New England, last night, but it did not materialize.

Mostly heavy downpours instead 

Thanks Jim

I never heard that term before  so had to look it up

nothing on the NOAA site  about the storm

Here  we just call then wind storms  LOL

the last few years  the winds have been bad  with up to 90MPH    at times ..then add snow  not fun

1 hour ago, Frncie said:

We are on board the Riviera right now. Today was supposed to be Boston but we are skipping it. We sailed from Bar Harbor yesterday and spent the night sheltered at anchor off some little islands. It is dark and foggy but, at least here, the conditions are very calm. Not sure when we will set sail to Newport, Rhode Island. 

Glad you are  safe  but I am sure there are some onboard  that will be moaning away 😉

• Like 1

Captain just announced we will be skipping Newport, RI tomorrow and going straight to our final port, NYC, on Saturday.

Right now the seas are quite calm in our little sheltered space, and the sun even makes an occasional appearance. But I gather the route to the south must be quite rough. The atmosphere among the passengers is surprisingly upbeat, but everyone is staying inside. Very windy. 

Thanks for the update. Newport is a tender port and rough seas even on a sunny day can make a tender impossible to load or unload. We did get to Newport but they had quite some time with the boats. Boston was beautiful but then things took a turn for the worse. Bar Harbor was cancelled and that night all hell broke loose. No one allowed on the decks. We were in a Ocean view and the waves were hitting our porthole. Trays, plates , glassware and bottles crashing to the floor. Sounds like Riviera has managed to deal with it better. Try to be up early for the sail in. Beautiful !

I have a good friend on the Riviera right now. The are off Searsport. They missed Boston and Newport RI. I hope the seas smooth out for their sail to NYC. 

We are doing a RT Boston on Celebrity next Aug. 30 - Sept. 11th. Coming from the West coast some of these ports will be new to us. 

2 hours ago, maggie.1008 said:

I have a good friend on the Riviera right now. The are off Searsport. They missed Boston and Newport RI. I hope the seas smooth out for their sail to NYC. 

We are doing a RT Boston on Celebrity next Aug. 30 - Sept. 11th. Coming from the West coast some of these ports will be new to us. 

I have a friend on a Princess cruise with a similar itinerary to our upcoming Riviera cruise starting 10/30. They are "stuck" in Boston and will miss at least their stop in Bar Harbor due to the Nor'easter hitting New England and Canada. She is unsure about their stop in Saint John. My sister lives in Maine, and many are without power. Weird weather!

It does sound like it's rather risky to do this itinerary in later months ... the few times we've been to some of these ports (which were NOT specifically New England) it was in the spring time and we had no problems.

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the Oct. 8th sailing and for the most part, the weather was fine. We had sun and mild temperatures in Montreal, Quebec City, Saguenay, St. John/Bay of Fundy, Bar Harbor (absolutely stunning) and Portland.  There was heavy rain all day in Sydney.  We missed Boston and Newport due to the rough seas; however, on board it wasn't too rocky and we still had a good time. All in all, it was a great cruise and we would not hesitate to recommend it.  There is always the possibility of bad weather whenever and wherever you cruise - it is the chance one takes in order to experience our big beautiful world! 

• Like 1