Jim_Iain – Edge Live Post – B2B – Greek Islands and West Bound TransAtlantic

Jim_Iain

On 10/27/2019 at 9:03 AM, Jim_Iain said:

We set our clocks back last night for European DST.  I screwed it up.   I manually changed our time on our iPhones and was surprised when Arsen knocked on the door with breakfast.   I guess IPhone automatically set the time back another hour. 

I always take a traditional watch with me when cruising, as the ship can go between time zones eg Spain is 1 Hour in front of UK, but Portugal is the same time as UK.

On our last cruise I decided to rely on the phone in the cabin, as that is always on ship’s time. What I didn’t know was that I had to lift up the receiver first and by putting it back on the base, the time changed..

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, mufflogan said:

I may have missed it but did you post the "In The Spotlight" sheet with the list of current Edge Officers/Directors?  If you haven't posted it could you?  If you have posted it sorry that I missed it.  Thanks!

I'll try to post them but will not be in the normal format.   Celebrity on post Revolution ships and Edge no longer print copies of the "Spotlight"   

In order to see the officers you have to go on the TV and drill down 3 or 4 layer and then can view a profile of each officer on the TV.  

6 hours ago, hcat said:

Waiting to hear from Jim on that,  but on our EDGE cruise,  they no longer produced a print version...It scrolled awkwardly/horizontally  along the tv....once you found it.

I asked about it when Cruise Critic had the Q and A with LLP,   and was told it would remain in that format...no print out.    Maybe it's  also on the app which we do not use???  We really missed having it in our materials

I use the app and to my knowledge it is not available in the APP

14 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

I always take a traditional watch with me when cruising, as the ship can go between time zones eg Spain is 1 Hour in front of UK, but Portugal is the same time as UK.

On our last cruise I decided to rely on the phone in the cabin, as that is always on ship’s time. What I didn’t know was that I had to lift up the receiver first and by putting it back on the base, the time changed..

I use a fitbit that is tied to by iPhone and have a list of timezones to manually adjust.

Unfortunately on Edge the phones no longer have a display that shows the ships time.    About the only way to obtain it from your stateroom is turn on your TV.    We have 2 phones in our room, with neither being in the living room and neither have a date/time display

Fun evening with dinner at Eden last night.   We were seated in an area where we couldn't see the show.   For the most part it was quiet but they did one set where the singer was so cranked up that you couldn't even talk.    The food was excellent but WAY TOO MUCH.

415A694A-75D1-48F9-BC78-131B2EEC6E45.thumb.jpeg.906e40c1e65db2cf7e3f5edf6a98139f.jpeg

06216730-4C11-4B5D-9F05-CC5FB16C4532.thumb.jpeg.4406e0679c7bf2fce93a33ca301cf657.jpeg

Interesting that they have a little drawer in your table with eating utensils.  

ACD46AA0-D9F3-413A-99FE-8CE3A99C231C.thumb.jpeg.de1ccf0aac69496615528012c18629c7.jpeg

F96AA73B-DCCF-4CC3-A957-EE7AE5F0DFD7.thumb.jpeg.40da1ed667be8a170f2898cd4ab30a4a.jpeg

Raindrops 

5D53E2D5-3B34-44A9-B1A1-40FEF547E8DF.thumb.jpeg.6bbe2064ada6fe3ad0772606ba092b20.jpeg

Enlightening

DAC120A0-0AF1-4394-B63B-9DBFAB1EA04F.thumb.jpeg.fac061360b66abcdfcd11da993631ffd.jpeg

Forgot to take picture of Tidal Pool

Life After Death

16F4384E-1501-49E9-89CA-47DCD7508A16.thumb.jpeg.805d48c9e1905a1c880c1ed03064d331.jpeg

Looking Glass

0B073EE0-C894-4B3F-894B-764977E8624A.thumb.jpeg.ceba775e3925c4548de22d657fe424a9.jpeg

Forbidden Fruit

FF4B721B-60E1-49B3-9765-E72956C8E20B.thumb.jpeg.7eb5015775dfc34dd9bd2cb0071c7c42.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain

We were suppose to meet at 12:15 for our tour.   Luminea opened for lunch between 11:30-12:30.   We had them rush our lunch. 

at 11:45 they asked all passengers on any of the Blue Grotto tours to go to theater ASAP.  We rushed through lunch and proceeded to the theater. 

They informed us that all the Blue Grotto boat trips had been cancelled due to the weather.    They had a revised the tour and offered a full refund or a 30% discount.  As the main reason for our selection was the Blue Grotto, we cancelled.  

We will be doing Valletta on our own.  

5 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

We were suppose to meet at 12:15 for our tour.   Luminea opened for lunch between 11:30-12:30.   We had them rush our lunch. 

at 11:45 they asked all passengers on any of the Blue Grotto tours to go to theater ASAP.  We rushed through lunch and proceeded to the theater. 

They informed us that all the Blue Grotto boat trips had been cancelled due to the weather.    They had a revised the tour and offered a full refund or a 30% discount.  As the main reason for our selection was the Blue Grotto, we cancelled.  

We will be doing Valletta on our own.  

That's disappointing. We didn't do the boat tour (had choices to make), but our guide brought us to an area above the Blue Grotto so that we could see it - it was beautiful and the boat trip looked like fun from above (saw the boats entering and exiting). We will try it if we go back. We did love the city of Valletta - a great city to wander around. Enjoy!

Edited by vtcruising

As someone who has an allergy to both, disappointed to see that Eden menu continues to feature fish or seafood options only for the first three of five courses...

Have sailed Edge twice [March to the Caribbean; the April/May Transatlantic] and having pre-booked Eden on both of those cruises based on the sample menu posted to the Celebrity website [which lists a non-fish/seafood selection for each of the first three courses], I cancelled both times...  Won't bother to book Eden again in the future...

Edited by Xport

2 minutes ago, Xport said:

Have sailed Edge twice [March to the Caribbean; the April/May Transatlantic] and having pre-booked Eden on both of those cruises based on the sample menu posted to the Celebrity website [which lists a non-fish/seafood selection for each of the first three courses], I cancelled both times...  Won't bother to book Eden again in the future...

Did you ask onboard about alternatives given your allergy?

44 minutes ago, Xport said:

As someone who has an allergy to both, disappointed to see that Eden menu continues to feature fish or seafood options only for the first three of five courses...

I Am so sorry you were dis-appointed in the menu and so sorry that you did not realize that something would have been prepared for accommodation with 24 hour notice.

X has been very good about this in all of their Specialty Dining venues, IME. Are the dishes similar to those on the menu? Of course not, yet there was something which I could eat and enjoy the company of others in the party.

Now if there was something on the 'Sample Menu' which interested you, then it would be appropriate to ask if they would prepare those items for your dinner...  Unless they did not have those ingredients aboard, there is no reason for them not to try and accommodate you.

bon appetite and bon voyage

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

I spoke with the Eden Maitre 'D both times before cancelling...

While he was respectful and seemingly amenable to accommodating my medical requirements, he did so without specificity or any sense of enthusiasm...  I decided to pass...

For similar dietary reasons, I passed on my reservation to have Dinner On The Edge after seeing the menu and, obviously, Raw On 5 was out of the question for me...

At the end of the day, Celebrity is entitled to define their menu offerings based upon their perception of guest appeal and what sells [reservations were strong at all Edge dining venues given their novelty]...  And I did dine very well at Fine Cuts [multiple times], Rooftop Garden Grill, and Le Grand Bistro [for Le Petit Chef & Friends]...

With about 500 nights on Celebrity over the past ten years, Specialty Dining on their other ships has never required special accommodation [I've even managed to contend at Sushi on 5] in the past...  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Xport said:

While he was respectful and seemingly amenable to accommodating my medical requirements, he did so without specificity or any sense of enthusiasm...  I decided to pass...

For similar dietary reasons, I passed on my reservation to have Dinner On The Edge after seeing the menu and, obviously, Raw On 5 was out of the question for me...

At the end of the day, Celebrity is entitled to define their menu offerings based upon their perception of guest appeal and what sells [reservations were strong at all Edge dining venues given their novelty]...  And I did dine very well at Fine Cuts [multiple times], Rooftop Garden Grill, and Le Grand Bistro [for Le Petit Chef & Friends]...

With about 500 nights on Celebrity over the past ten years, Specialty Dining on their other ships has never required special accommodation [I've even managed to contend at Sushi on 5] in the past...  

One of my roll call buddies asked to speak with the chef a day or two prior to their dinner in Eden and he was happy to make something different (gets sick of cooking same thing every night). There may be a different chef now.

i agree that it is too seafood heavy a menu - I don’t know what they were thinking having s choice of two fish dishes for some courses because it’s not billed as a seafood restaurant. We like fish/seafood so enjoyed the menu, but can’t believe that they didn’t have a broader range of choices. 

Would love to see that restaurant become a place with more options - maybe cooking demos, wine and food pairing, with a broader menu. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Xport said:

I can understand your decision.

I think it is fair to say that on a ship with mutliple alternative premium dinning options there is nothing wrong in having one of them as a seafood venue, but given the signature nature of the Eden experience I don't think it is right to make that so polarised in its menu offerings.

Hopefully it will change in the future with further feedback.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'll try to post them but will not be in the normal format.   Celebrity on post Revolution ships and Edge no longer print copies of the "Spotlight"   

In order to see the officers you have to go on the TV and drill down 3 or 4 layer and then can view a profile of each officer on the TV.  

I believe I read somewhere on CC, that you can get the printed sheet of officers at Guest Relations.

2 hours ago, Xport said:

My DH cannot do any fish/seafood and we ate at EDEN on our Sept 30 cruise. They were more than happy to accommodate him and he enjoyed his dinner and the experience. Sorry it wasn't the same for you. 

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, vtcruising said:

That's disappointing. We didn't do the boat tour (had choices to make), but our guide brought us to an area above the Blue Grotto so that we could see it - it was beautiful and the boat trip looked like fun from above (saw the boats entering and exiting). We will try it if we go back. We did love the city of Valletta - a great city to wander around. Enjoy!

Even though we missed the blue grotto we had a nice day in port. The weather improved and rains stopped around 12:30.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mark_T said:

Good suggestion.  Our waiter kept asking if we would like something different.   We are not accustomed to large portions and were leaving 1/2 of each course. 

Everything was perfectly cooked and very fresh.   My favorite which I forgot to take a picture of was the sea bass.