Jim_Iain – Edge Live Post – B2B – Greek Islands and West Bound TransAtlantic

Jim_Iain

Welcome to all an feel free to jump in and ask anything.   If I don't know I will try to find an answer for you.   If I can't find an answer I'm sure others with more experience on the Edge will be able to help.

First, a little about ourselves.   Iain and I are in our 60's and have been together for 31 years.   We first sailed with Celebrity in 2001 on Millennium and instantly became addicted to both Celebrity and Cruising.   We liked the product and Celebrity is the only line we have sailed.   We live in Sunnyvale, CA which is located about 50 miles south of San Francisco and 10 miles north of San Jose.  We are both retired and really enjoying the ability to get away for longer cruises without the pressures of business life.  

We are booked on the 10/21 Sailing from Civitavecchia to the Greek Islands followed by the 11/1 Westbound TransAtlantic. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Hi Jim & Iain , I've followed a couple of your reviews before and really looking forward to this one , we are doing the Greek islands next year so interested to see what you do we have also just booked our first celebrity solitce cruise Australia / south Pacific but that's 18 months away yet , have a wonderful cruise

Hi. Enjoy your sailing I am on Silhouette 24 October.  I enjoyed you blog from last year. Hope we have better weather.  Will follow til I leave and catch up when I get home via QM2 ON 17 Nov.  This is my first Celebrity cruise we have a lively roll call so looks good.

Mandy 

1 hour ago, Eastern flygirl said:

I have been checking for your new post.  I met you several cruises ago, and you were as enjoyable and polite as I expected.  Looking forward  to all your stories and postings on your exciting cruise.  Have a safe and fun cruise.

Yes.. I remember meeting you.   Was a real delight.   I'm busy packing today and doing all those last minute errands. 

1 hour ago, Purdey16 said:

Hi Jim & Iain , I've followed a couple of your reviews before and really looking forward to this one , we are doing the Greek islands next year so interested to see what you do we have also just booked our first celebrity solitce cruise Australia / south Pacific but that's 18 months away yet , have a wonderful cruise

Thanks for coming along.   I have booked a lot of tours on the first cruise as it is an ALL EC cruise and many things will be subject to VAT.   I booked all using OBC's.     Will be interested in your Australia cruise.   We have a couple cruises booked on Eclipse Nov 24 and December 23, 2020 which is right after her Revolution.   It seems so far away but am sure time will fly by.

1 hour ago, Clipper Chick said:

Hi. Enjoy your sailing I am on Silhouette 24 October.  I enjoyed you blog from last year. Hope we have better weather.  Will follow til I leave and catch up when I get home via QM2 ON 17 Nov.  This is my first Celebrity cruise we have a lively roll call so looks good.

Mandy 

Mandy -   you have me sitting her laughing.    Last year was not our year for smooth sailing.   We got hit with 2 typhoons on the TP and Japan Immersion cruise and then two weeks later had to dodge a hurricane in the Atlantic.

Regardless we had a wonderful time.

1 hour ago, DUTRAVEL said:

Looking forward to hearing your opinions on the Edge. We will see you on Nov 1 when we board in Civitavecchia for the Transatlantic.

Great to hear you will also be on the Nov 1 TransAtlantic.   I be able to answer any of your questions once on board and really look forward to meeting you.

36 minutes ago, silkismom said:

Oh goody, another great blog to follow. I haven't missed one of yours yet.

Thanks much.   I really enjoy all of the members of CC coming along.   I learn so much for other and enjoy giving back.  

27 minutes ago, Cruise it or lose it said:

Thanks again for taking the time to make your journey feel like ours. It will take some of the chill away from this cold wet mountain autumn.

Hopefully the weather will be nice for us.   I was checking this afternoon and the temperatures are looking very moderate in Rome and Greece is to be in the 70's-80's

4 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

Pulling up a chair!  So far I have no interest in sailing on Edge but you may be capable of changing my mind!

7 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Looking forward to following along! The Edge Western over Presidents’ Week will be my first time on Celebrity! (Though in a lowly solo IV cabin.)

IF you get a chance and think about it, I would love to know if Eden had gluten-free options for the dinner!

Thanks for coming along.  I'm sure your cabin will really be nice and you have a wonderful cruise.  

I will check out Eden for you.    I already have reservations for October 28 for Eden.   I had mixed feelings from initial reviews but thought it would be an experience if nothing more.  

If you haven't heard they dropped the price from $65 to $55 last week.   I had celebrity reprice my reservation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We booked this trip the first day it was released back in November of 2017.   As is our normal process, we booked it while on a cruise to maximize our perks and then once home transferred it to our agent for additional OBC’s. 

Now that we are retired we try to extend our vacation by booking B2B’s.   This cruise will be the October 21 -  11 Night Amalfi Coast & Greek Isles Cruise followed by the November 1 – 14 night TransAtlantic.  From those who have previously followed our adventures, you will recall that we love sea days and especially West Bound TransAtlantics.

Some have asked why we would book a cruise 2 years in advance.   The simple answer is that we generally find that the prices of cruises have a tendency to increase after they are initially released.   We thought they prices were high when we booked but the prices continued to increase over the past couple years.   We are booked in the same Celebrity Suite for both cruises. 

Cruise 1  - 9,499 pp plus 80.52 Tax and Port for a Total Cost of $19,159 and came with all 4 Perks

Cruise 2 -  8,249 pp plus 95.11 Tax and Port for a Total Cost of $16,498 and came will no Perks.

Air Fare -  As many on CC have noted this year prices of Air Fare have been running higher than what we have seen in previous years.    Booking early (11 months out) I was able to pick up 2 Business Class seats using Mileage on Delta for 85,000 points each.  

Hotel - We will be flying in two days before the cruise and staying at Hilton Airport Hotel FCO.   We have been to Rome numerous times so will not be spending much time there.   The Hilton Hotel provides a free shuttle hourly into Rome so will probably go in for a day and just wander around.   We booked the Executive Floor for a cost of $243.57 per day with 24.36 Tax.    Total $553.86.    We have stayed there previously and really enjoyed the Executive Lounge.  

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks for coming along.  I'm sure your cabin will really be nice and you have a wonderful cruise.  

I will check out Eden for you.    I already have reservations for October 28 for Eden.   I had mixed feelings from initial reviews but thought it would be an experience if nothing more.  

If you haven't heard they dropped the price from $65 to $55 last week.   I had celebrity reprice my reservation.

awesome! Thanks! And have a wonderful time!!

Your "blogs" are always terrific!! Is this your first time on Edge? As another CCer posted so far we have no interest in sailing on Edge...just doesn't seem "our cup of tea".  Will be interested to read what you think!!! Thanks for taking the time and energy!!  LuAnn

Bon Voyage Jim and Iain.  I look forward to following along.  I was booked on Venice to Dubai(B2B) for 2020 on the Constellation until they re-deployed her to Tampa.  It was the perfect itinerary.  I can't wait to read all about your adventures AND the Edge.  We leave on the 28th of this month for 51 days on HAL(Hawaii/South Pacific).  I am packing the laptop so will still be able to follow along.  It was such a pleasure meeting you this time last year!  I am sorry we did not spend any time together.  Perhaps another time.  Wishing you a wonderful cruise.  Thank you for taking us along.

Yay! I've been itching for a good virtual vacation!

In 2001 my sister and I took our dad to Italy to see the town his dad left in 1902. We spent our last couple of nights in Amalfi with the intention of leaving there early on the day of our flight departure from Rome. It became apparent that early mornings there can be foggy so we ended up having to book a couple of rooms at the airport Hilton for our last night to avoid a white knuckle drive in the fog. Great hotel...was a little embarrassed when dad set off the metal detector at the airport with the bottle opener he'd lifted from the room. LOL 

We also love the westbound transatlantic...so relaxing getting those hours back!

• Like 1

following along with you.  Love all your posts.  My DH and I get on the Edge when you get off the TA.  So looking forward to sailing the Edge.  We booked this cruise because it was a 9 night cruise.  We always book a cruise 2 years in advance.  We are in a Celebrity Suite and I think we got a good price.  

Pat

• Thanks 1

I too look forwards to  having the pleasure of your company on the forthcoming Edge Transatlantic voyage on 1st November. I have really enjoyed reading your previous commentaries and love your enthusiasm, wry wit, and enjoyment of life.

We have taken several East bound transatlantic voyages but this will be the first West bound with the luxury of gaining rather than loosing time!  The suite life on Edge has been so well described in various posts by our estimable fellow CC contributor               VT Cruising that I have high hopes of being spoiled rotten for the whole trip. 

Thank you in anticipation of what I am sure will be an excellent read!

Finally, I have been having cruise withdrawal since Chicagopaul finished his Trans pacific adventure.

I really have not had and desire to go on the Edge. Hoping you will provide some info, that might change my mind.

i leave on a Quickly 10/25, 8 night on the Equinox.

safe travels to you and Ian.

Norma

• Like 1

Looking forward to your review and blog always very enjoyable and easy to read.

i love the way you provide costings did the price change much from when you booked.

Have a safe flight and enjoy your vacation