Jim_Iain – Edge Live Post – B2B – Greek Islands and West Bound TransAtlantic

Jim_Iain

We have been so busy getting to know the Edge that I am just logging on. 

Checkin was a breeze and we were aboard in minutes.  They scanned our iPhone boarding pass and slipped us to the front of the security line. 

B72DE2D2-0CC2-4620-B8E9-EA4073454702.thumb.jpeg.a6d7c1a05e210e0ad41251e3afc366be.jpeg

8BEED4D7-9FB4-44F9-A984-B84202682EEE.thumb.jpeg.fc9d6e1926517f3bea44610cbe777b02.jpeg

Once aboard we went to our room and our sea passes were outside the door. 

43586439-070F-44DA-A2D6-A322AFB8E6BA.thumb.jpeg.1021db8e17c0d35647b96362015dc1f2.jpeg

We were really pleased to find out our butler is Arsim who we sailed with in April. He is one of the best in the fleet. 

• Like 4

First impression are always important.   I’m impressed.  Edge is beautiful and still smells new.  It is definitely different to the M and S class ships.  

The concierges in The Retreat  are John Escobar, Mar and Amber.    We have sailed with John a couple times. Suite Manager is Priscilla.    

• Like 2

Hi Jim

By now you’ll be on your way to Catania, hope you have a great voyage. We just recently completed the 30th Sept sailing identical to the one you are now on and thoroughly enjoyed the trip. We are like yourselves, our first trip was on Century, loved it and have never cruised with another line, so loyal Celebrity cruisers. We chose this cruise as we had been nearly everywhere before but wanted to try the Edge and thought it a good one to get used to the ship and judge for ourselves the hype and or criticism surrounding the ship.  We were in an IV stateroom so the experience will be different but I’m looking forward to your review and opinion of the Edge as I’ve always found your reviews to be entertaining and views well balanced. I do have a question, Is the scaffolding still on the funnel ?

• Thanks 1

Your suite is beautiful; we will be sailing in a SV on Edge...initially booked an Infinite Verandah, but switched to a "true" balcony.  I am enjoying every comment and picture of your review!

Also, based on the picture of your airplane seat, I am going to figure out a way to make that happen for our TA!  WOW!!!

Edited by lola2013
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

First impression are always important.   I’m impressed.  Edge is beautiful and still smells new.  It is definitely different to the M and S class ships.  

The concierges in The Retreat  are John Escobar, Mar and Amber.    We have sailed with John a couple times. Suite Manager is Priscilla.    

Bon Voyage! and Enjoy! Thanks for sharing the pics of your Suite too. 

• Thanks 1

Suite looks great Jim. How's the sliding door between the bedroom and lounge? Be nice if they did that on the Solstice class refit. Btw, did you say you are on the Eclipse late 2020? Did you know that the Dry dock has been pushed out to 2021? Thought I'd let you know.

• Thanks 1

I appreciated your positive/friendly comments on my live blog.  Looking forward to following along.  I'm curious, do you have any desire to try another cruise line?  After our last cruise, I'm now curious about a line with better food. 

On 10/18/2019 at 3:27 AM, Jim_Iain said:

Hi Sherrill and David -  Really enjoyed doing the crossing to Japan but not sure we would do it again.  You and all the fun CC's made it all worthwhile.

Hi Jim, I feel like I'm spamming you with off topic Qs 😂 We have booked a B2B - Singapore to Japan and then Japan to Vancouver on the Eclipse in April 2021 (immediately post revolution 🤞unless they change the date again) . Interested in your comment about being unsure on doing the Japan crossing again? Would you still recommend a one-time experience? I know you had a lot of weather issues. Many thanks, Kym.

5 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Wow, that living area looks unbelievably cluttered.  How do you move around?

I had the same reaction...I'd ask them to remove some of the clutter..too much furniture.( tripping hazard).  I  think the sleeping  area seems closed in, esp if doors were closed.  Will be following to see how it works out!   

Decor colors are nice and balcony looks inviting,,,, if you can get to it past the clutter!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, hcat said:
1 hour ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

51 minutes ago, hcat said:

I had the same reaction...I'd ask them to remove some of the clutter..too much furniture.( tripping hazard).  I  think the sleeping  area seems closed in, esp if doors were closed.  Will be following to see how it works out!   

Decor colors are nice and balcony looks inviting,,,, if you can get to it past the clutter!

My thoughts exactly!  Too much!

1 hour ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Linda

I suspect the “cluttered” appearance is just a result of camera angle. It looks like a fairly clear path from the doorway to the balcony doors. The rocking chair does not appear to invade that pathway in any major way. The living area is not all that different from the traditional Celebrity Suite when the sectional was in place. The bedroom is also not a huge stretch from the traditional CS.

We’re still looking forward to our Celebrity Suite experience on Edge in November.

Randy

Edited by Schmoe38
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Schmoe38 said:

Linda

I suspect the “cluttered” appearance is just a result of camera angle. It looks like a fairly clear path from the doorway to the balcony doors. The rocking chair does not appear to invade that pathway in any major way. The living area is not all that different from the traditional Celebrity Suite when the sectional was in place. The bedroom is also not a huge stretch from the traditional CS.

We’re still looking forward to our Celebrity Suite experience on Edge in November.

Randy

Randy, I agree that we will survive in the CS.  Celebrity Suites are not my most favorite as I prefer the Royal Suite but the prices on Edge were really high.  The only suite that is available for our upcoming cruise is the Penthouse suite and it costs twice as much as we paid for the Celebrity Suite.  Still the CS looks like a very nice room, I am sure we will have a good time.

Thanks Jim for posting the pics.

Pat

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, JBare said:

Hi Jim

By now you’ll be on your way to Catania, hope you have a great voyage. We just recently completed the 30th Sept sailing identical to the one you are now on and thoroughly enjoyed the trip. We are like yourselves, our first trip was on Century, loved it and have never cruised with another line, so loyal Celebrity cruisers. We chose this cruise as we had been nearly everywhere before but wanted to try the Edge and thought it a good one to get used to the ship and judge for ourselves the hype and or criticism surrounding the ship.  We were in an IV stateroom so the experience will be different but I’m looking forward to your review and opinion of the Edge as I’ve always found your reviews to be entertaining and views well balanced. I do have a question, Is the scaffolding still on the funnel ?

I will have to check on the scaffolding as I did not notice it yesterday.   It is 10/23 and we are off the coast of Sicily.   We are taking a tour today -  Taste of Sicily, Mt. Etna and Taormina -  We dock at noon and meeting time for the tour is noon    May be a long day as it is a 7 hour tour. with 3 hours 45 minutes on the bus.  

10 hours ago, Redking said:

Suite looks great Jim. How's the sliding door between the bedroom and lounge? Be nice if they did that on the Solstice class refit. Btw, did you say you are on the Eclipse late 2020? Did you know that the Dry dock has been pushed out to 2021? Thought I'd let you know.

It slides very nicely but it is frosted and if the drapes are open it floods the living room and bedroom with light. 

Yes we are on Eclipse so I guess we will miss the Revolution.   I will have to check the schedules.   The reason we booked and cancelled a previous cruise was the dry dock was in between our two cruises.    I will have to stop by Future Cruises and see if they have released the Hong Kong to Singapore cruise we originally wanted.

9 hours ago, calicakes said:

I appreciated your positive/friendly comments on my live blog.  Looking forward to following along.  I'm curious, do you have any desire to try another cruise line?  After our last cruise, I'm now curious about a line with better food. 

Good seeing you.   Really enjoyed your blog.    We are somewhat hooked on Celebrity.   With the Zenith perks it makes it difficult to go elsewhere.   We may try Azamara -  have heard really good things about them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hcat said:

Actually it doesn't feel cluttered while actually in the suite.   There is plenty of room to roam around.    The things they could do without are all the pillows and the Tree Trunk little tables, but they are tucked out of the way.   The balcony is really comfortable.

One thing I really like is the whole wall is glass which gives a lot of light and open feeling.  

• Like 3