Jim_Iain – Edge Live Post – B2B – Greek Islands and West Bound TransAtlantic

Jim_Iain

12 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

It is Wednesday morning but I will try to finish up about our tour yesterday.    It was a long day with 7.5 hour tour.

After visiting Mt Etna we visited Taormino, which is a really cute little village.   It was very busy with most of the tours but was really a beautiful.    The buses parked in a 6 story parking garage and once there we were given about 1 1/2 hour time to explore on our own.  

While Etna was a really interesting place to visit,  I think I would have preferred the Taormino on you own.    The Drive to Etna was about 1 1/2 hours and another 1 hour to Taormino and another hour back to the ship.  

Thankfully we did a private excursion to Taormino and arrived before all the tourist buses!

7 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Guest Relations very open. F16F7E9C-C20E-4F1C-95D0-6E88D4C4817B.thumb.jpeg.74bd25b766bc4ec7582942bd6655e512.jpeg 

That was one of fav spaces to just sit  for awhile...like a very nice hotel lobby!

Glad that smoking area is still there...shhhh!  Dh loved that space and it was even  okay for me...a non smoker,  Convenient, clean,  good air circulation, nice views out the side..

Can't wait for Cocktails on the Magic Carpet and our fav, Cafe Baccio...love the teas, Aspen Coffe and the IGLU...

All great ship pics..so lucky you'll have  lots of time to explore EDGE! Enjoy!

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Joeghartman said:

I am loving this review so far. I have been loyal to NCL, but plan on trying the Apex next year for a Mediterranean sailing. This is giving me good insight to what that ship will be like and Celebrity. Thanks!

Jim does the best reviews.  However, your Bliss review was great.  We are going on our first NCL cruise on 11/2 Encore TA.  I would like to see Alaska and thought we would go via princess or HA but your review is making me reconsider. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, DebbieMacG said:

I’ve done two ships tours of Santorini, both were excellent. When you disembark you tender to another small harbour where you are picked up by coaches but on the way back you are dropped in a bus park in the main town and are given tickets for the ride down in the “cable” car and then you tender  back from the main harbour, so on the way back you will either need to ride or walk down.

I'm good either way.  Our tour seems to indicate that we will be returned to Athinios Port via bus.   I'll let you know when we get back.   We got up at 6AM and eating quick breakfast before meeting in the Theater at 7:15.  

Santorini, Greece

Begin your journey with a scenic drive to the top of the caldera, an active volcanic islet in Santorini Bay, and learn about the geological upheavals that have shaped the island. Arrive at the scenic village of Oia, which, from its improbable perch on a cliff, offers breathtaking views of the deep blue sea and surrounding islands. Explore the village's narrow, winding cobblestone streets and admire its gleaming white Cycladic-style buildings. Browse local shops, cafés, and art galleries, then drive to a local winery where you'll taste Santorini mezes, sample three local wines, and nibble barley rusks, cheese, olives, and tomatoes. Visit the bodega where the wine is aged. Finally, journey to the village of Fira, where you'll have about an hour to explore the cliff-top village's intriguing narrow streets before the journey to Athinios port, where tenders will transfer you to the ship.  You may choose to return from Fira by Cable Car at your own expense or walk SOA9

8 hours ago, hcat said:

That was one of fav spaces to just sit  for awhile...like a very nice hotel lobby!

Glad that smoking area is still there...shhhh!  Dh loved that space and it was even  okay for me...a non smoker,  Convenient, clean,  good air circulation, nice views out the side..

Can't wait for Cocktails on the Magic Carpet and our fav, Cafe Baccio...love the teas, Aspen Coffe and the IGLU...

All great ship pics..so lucky you'll have  lots of time to explore EDGE! Enjoy!

Like you I am a non-smoker but Iain enjoys the smoking areas.    I've been down there with him and you are right I didn't feel like I was in a big smoke cloud.   

5 hours ago, garyl62 said:

This is a great photo!  Iain just tapping his fingers on the Martini Bar  as if to say "I've got my seat, now when will the staff show up?"

It was rather early, thus all the 10 seats at the bar were opened.    We had a chuckle because the bar tender heard him and came running to see if he NEEDED a drink.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, maggieq said:

Jim,

We had the best time at the martini bar on our equinox cruise and are looking forward to the same on 11/30 summit cruise.  What are your thoughts on the Martini bar on the Edge?

Definitely not the same as an S-Class or M-Class Martini Bar.    It is very open and seating is rather spread out so not very conducive to meeting others.    One area opposite where the chairs are is open and can be a good area to meet others.   One thing I'm noticing is that the feel of the Martini Bar are more similar to a Lobby Bar in a nice hotel.   Throughout the ship you get the feeling of being in either a Hotel or Airport Lounge instead of a traditional ship.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

What a beautiful ship!

Really enjoying your review

I was thinking the same myself.    She is beautiful and elegant.    We are enjoying it very much but taking longer than usual to get accustomed to the layout.  There are so many little nooks and hideaways    Even on our sea days there is no feeling of being cramped.   

• Like 3

Thanks for taking us on your vacation. I'm sailing Edge 12/08 and really looking forward to it. I'm happy to hear Arsim is on Edge. We had him last year on Infinity for our very 1st cruise and we definitely felt pampered. I don't know if we would get him in December because we'll be in a sky suite (although I've got bids in for upgrades so who knows). I'm curious, do you think the celebrity suite is worth the extra money over a sky suite even though you don't get the free specialty dining and other high end suite amenities?

2 hours ago, Cdresser said:

Thanks for taking us on your vacation. I'm sailing Edge 12/08 and really looking forward to it. I'm happy to hear Arsim is on Edge. We had him last year on Infinity for our very 1st cruise and we definitely felt pampered. I don't know if we would get him in December because we'll be in a sky suite (although I've got bids in for upgrades so who knows). I'm curious, do you think the celebrity suite is worth the extra money over a sky suite even though you don't get the free specialty dining and other high end suite amenities?

You may have him.  He told us that they alternate the butlers around each cruise.  

Early morning today.   We met in theater at 7:15 and were aboard large port provided tenders.  The Magic Carpet was used to board tenders.  Very efficient.  

The bus tours are transported to Athinios where we met our driver and guide.  

073F5A4D-072E-4007-B508-8F8180515CF2.thumb.jpeg.b0d2fc405a4ba57baf563c9dd225d03e.jpeg

FB1DB8A6-E053-4E16-98FC-8C33353CD0AA.thumb.jpeg.25434f8f555cdf1d602f8367a1ac1a37.jpeg

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'm good either way.  Our tour seems to indicate that we will be returned to Athinios Port via bus.   I'll let you know when we get back.   We got up at 6AM and eating quick breakfast before meeting in the Theater at 7:15.  

Santorini, Greece

Begin your journey with a scenic drive to the top of the caldera, an active volcanic islet in Santorini Bay, and learn about the geological upheavals that have shaped the island. Arrive at the scenic village of Oia, which, from its improbable perch on a cliff, offers breathtaking views of the deep blue sea and surrounding islands. Explore the village's narrow, winding cobblestone streets and admire its gleaming white Cycladic-style buildings. Browse local shops, cafés, and art galleries, then drive to a local winery where you'll taste Santorini mezes, sample three local wines, and nibble barley rusks, cheese, olives, and tomatoes. Visit the bodega where the wine is aged. Finally, journey to the village of Fira, where you'll have about an hour to explore the cliff-top village's intriguing narrow streets before the journey to Athinios port, where tenders will transfer you to the ship.  You may choose to return from Fira by Cable Car at your own expense or walk SOA9

That’s great that they finally changed it so that people don’t have to do the cable car!

Im sure you will have a great day 😀

42 minutes ago, DebbieMacG said:

That’s great that they finally changed it so that people don’t have to do the cable car!

Im sure you will have a great day 😀

Having a great day.  The guide started telling us how to get back to the ship via donkey or tram.  She was quickly corrected and she called her office to let them know.  She explained that they had given her the incorrect itinerary. 

We were given the option of returning by bus or on our own.  If you chose on your own you had to sign a waiver.  About 1/4 of our group opted fo the on their own. 

The guide said they canceled the crater visit so we would have more time.  No I be seemed to mind. 

Hi Jim & Iain,

I'm enjoying your live posts from the EDGE.

The photos remind me of the 10 nights we were on her last December.

We have friends on board with you now that are also doing the B2B.

If you run into Larry and Daniel,  please say Hi to them for us

Mark & Ken

1 hour ago, SeaWatch12 said:

Hi Jim & Iain,

I'm enjoying your live posts from the EDGE.

The photos remind me of the 10 nights we were on her last December.

We have friends on board with you now that are also doing the B2B.

If you run into Larry and Daniel,  please say Hi to them for us

Mark & Ken

I will.    Haven't met them as of yet.

Our next stop was a visit to a local winery where we were given 3 wine samples and tapas.   It was only 11:00 so we chose to pass on the tasting.  Beautiful location!

854E84E2-49E7-423F-B8BA-C3816D0F9E5E.thumb.jpeg.ac4f2cf87a8c370ee14a41a3b9017977.jpeg

E924A7DF-9D06-49A5-8144-F2E73E4F2DF3.thumb.jpeg.4cb430e38414452f0f7bf279013c5d09.jpeg

FC7A3F3D-8C56-490B-9756-FB0C325F32E5.thumb.jpeg.7223303236a5aa9edbf9cd44bd2782ac.jpeg

56AE822F-E61A-4912-978A-39BBEF01DE07.thumb.jpeg.a60c99ca87529d2eecac028956eb6f58.jpeg

AEF638CC-A4F9-44A5-816A-69AFBA5B318A.thumb.jpeg.dcaebdc9b3fe5b0d035adba109d0c9ac.jpeg

Grapes are grown close to the ground to avoid the wind. 

EB604B99-78F4-4A14-BB50-D902420788A2.thumb.jpeg.6e2096e1c1e344bca2b6d6089d573e86.jpeg

8C899A3D-A16D-4986-A576-2F0CC40626B3.thumb.jpeg.1d919acc8cc4236c295668c94a67e837.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1