Jim_Iain – Edge Live Post – B2B – Greek Islands and West Bound TransAtlantic

Jim_Iain

I have been following along since the beginning of your adventures.  Great stuff and thank you. But now it’s time to chime in. This is the part I’ve been waiting for,..... the TA.  We are on this same itinerary next year. It will be our third TA, but our first on an edge clash ship. I’m really looking forward to following along in seeing how your 14 night cruise goes for you.

Thanks 

Tom W

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I haven't but will look for her series.   I'm glad you let me know as she looks like a good match.  

Jim

Jim if you like a good series and haven't read them try Michael Connely's Harry Bosch series 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We heard that 2 passengers were left behind in Naples last evening.  They waited about 15-20 minutes, paging them on board was conducted before they were left behind.   

That would be a tough way to end your cruise. 

Yes but when touring independently always give yourself extra time, catch the earlier train, bring extra money for a taxi...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, hcat said:

BON VOYAGE.....hope you leave the clouds behind!

Predictions are that we are going to have wet weather for both Livorno and Toulon.  For Livorno there is a 100% chance of rain today and high wind warnings for overnight.    We are playing it by air as to what we are going to do.    Staying aboard is not out of the question but with so few ports on this cruise it would be ashamed to not get a chance to explore. 

As Iain just said -   It's only rain.

16 hours ago, 39august said:

Did you have to sit through that awful "spy" video at muster?  We did not last month on Equinox.  Hoping all ships are giving that video up! It is so unhelpful.  

No they haven't given it up.   Edge still has the "Spy" Muster Video.   While it is silly I somewhat like it better than the long drawn out demonstrations they use to do -   at least it is only in one language (English). 

15 hours ago, Tommy3putts said:

I have been following along since the beginning of your adventures.  Great stuff and thank you. But now it’s time to chime in. This is the part I’ve been waiting for,..... the TA.  We are on this same itinerary next year. It will be our third TA, but our first on an edge clash ship. I’m really looking forward to following along in seeing how your 14 night cruise goes for you.

Thanks 

Tom W

We are also looking forward to the crossing.   This will be our 11th TA and our 7th southern.  It is a little different from many as we have no stops after the Canary Islands.   It will be nice to have lots of sea days after a very port intensive itinerary of the last cruise and the beginning of this one.

10 hours ago, Pushka said:

There is a very similar blue grotto experience in Tortula, Croatia. We spent 7 nights on a small boat of 35 cruising around this beautiful area. Fabulous coastline. 

Good to hear.   I've never heard of it but will keep it in our data bank.    We really enjoyed Croatia on one of our past cruises.

Dinner - Night 1

1175474880_LuminaeDinner1Drinks.thumb.jpg.6284b02ff538ca346e63e9b35444aa40.jpg

87877613_LuminaeDinnerDay01.thumb.jpg.7df5cebc5a4f0962b8f8241a62135e5b.jpg

1309373829_LuminaeDesertsDay01.thumb.jpg.995272cd8c745e6bddcf8fbc2404ccf8.jpg

929516867_LuminaeDesertsDay02.thumb.jpg.7a9b60be4b9dcc2dd49a6728123108db.jpg

It is really a treat to be a B2B guest and all the dining room staff greeting you and recognizing you, as well as remembering your preferences. 

We began our dinner with a glass of wine.    Iain chose the Opulence which has a $1 upcharge.  The wine server has been just giving it to Iain instead of charging him the upcharge.   I don't drink but decided be have a non-alcoholic Fre - Cabaret.   

Our meal began with a daily Amuse-bouche.  Tonight it was a hot Ham And Cheese Croquet. 

4CCDF083-9FCA-4681-8353-7325B30334F5.thumb.jpeg.53a50076ff26cc91eb98376945d029a2.jpeg

For starters Iain had the Smoked Salmon which he enjoyed.   I tried the Daniel B special menus item of Soup Carrot Soup with prawns and coriander. 

hmmm.  I was not impressed.    I should have read closer as it was a cold soup and the chunks of carrots are raw.  Our waiter offered to get me something different but I declined. 

CC6F79E8-0B7D-4BA9-808E-CB441674EE08.thumb.jpeg.d1ebb668e476ccf96917e8423fa93eb5.jpeg

4CDE4F64-20DB-442F-BBBE-97E472ABB4CA.thumb.jpeg.60c300c703ab9efa8403c0e11186f521.jpeg

For our entree Iain ordered the Turbot and I had the Duck breast.  Bothe were delicious and cooked to perfection. 

BA2028A7-4C9C-4740-B3AF-792513214009.thumb.jpeg.a59c6e4a59236c7f28cfb269f3aaf2ad.jpeg

B755D4FE-8099-47E1-A74E-5DF879D8FCDD.thumb.jpeg.b2509f7de4d46310db91277d5c0bc886.jpeg

Desert was the finale of our dinner. 

I had the Almond Cake.   It was very light and layers of flavor. 

6DE48D23-0646-492B-B0A7-B0D854707608.thumb.jpeg.e96737759193608d392977fd66960bec.jpeg

Iain’s not much of a desert eater and had a Double Bailey.  

We left pleased and full. 

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I had the Almond Cake.   It was very light and layers of flavor.

That soup didn't sound great, but the rest of it looks wonderful. Love that cake ...my favorite dessert at Luminae. Was there an alternative entree offered last night?

Hope you can enjoy the port, even in the rain.

Jim- Thanks for the wonderful travel log and pictures;  I've enjoyed following along (taking notes!).  We're on a Rome to Rome cruise on the Edge next September with many of the same ports.   

My one concern about the Edge is the possible lack of shaded areas on the open decks (this is strictly from the little I've read in various posts).  DH has skin cancer, so we try to be vigilant about the sun but love being outside when we cruise.  Have you found any great area(s) to sit and watch the sea but stay in the shade?  

Enjoy the TA!  Lynn

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We are also looking forward to the crossing.   This will be our 11th TA and our 7th southern.  It is a little different from many as we have no stops after the Canary Islands.   It will be nice to have lots of sea days after a very port intensive itinerary of the last cruise and the beginning of this one.

Next year will be our third TA. We’ve sailed the Reflection itinerary previously.  We love Tenerife and the 7 Straight sea days. 

• Like 2

Jim:

Please don't feel like you have to answer all of these questions, but thought I would put them all out there in case you know the answers already or have an opportunity to find out over the next two weeks. I realize that you are on vacation so please don't put much effort into answering these questions - any insight is appreciated. 🙂

General

-Were the specialty restaurants busy? Do you have a sense of how difficult it was to get reservations onboard?

Le Grand Bistro:  

-Les Boissons at The Bistro Terrace 4 (translates to Drinks at The Bistro Terrace 4, for those without my “extensive” French language background) 5-9:30PM is in your dailies listed under Bar Hours and I’ve seen it in other dailies people have posted, but haven’t heard any talk about using that area as a bar (open mostly during Le Petit Chef hours).  I have seen this menu online – not sure if they serve this food as well as drinks during that time period? It seems like it could be a nice place for drinks before LPC starts at 6:00.

502251139_Terracemenupicture.thumb.png.5a2edd5bed955f8ddcc1afb638bc5803.png

-Did you see Le Grand Bistro To Go? I know they have deli items (sandwiches, etc) that cost extra, but are the croissants and other pastries, if they still have them, complimentary now?

LGB To Go Menu.pdf

-Did you see the menu and price for the brunch at Le Grand Bistro? 

Rooftop Garden

-  If you have spent any time there, do the wind barriers seem to work? Did you have good bar service there?

- Did you hear of them doing Taste of Film up there?

Magic Carpet

- Did you notice if the lunch on the Magic Carpet when attached to Raw on 5 was the same menu as Raw on 5? They originally had different menus.

- Any further wind barriers planned for the MC?

Grand Plaza/Martini Bar

-Could you please describe the vibe – day and night – bar service, noise levels, crowd size, seat availability?

-Was the Fine Cut Steakhouse noisy when you dined there? Is anyone dining outside there now?

Eden

-If  you have frequented Eden, could you please describe the vibe – day and night – bar service, noise levels, crowd size, seat availability?     

Suite Life:

- Now that you’ve been in the CS for several days, how do you like it overall? Would you book one again, if the price reasonable?

-Thanks for posting the Luminae menus. You mentioned that they had added new things to the menus. Is that the nightly “special” that they have been doing? The printed menus so far seem the same as we had in January – I wondered if they were trying some new items by offering them in addition to the menu?

- How is the Retreat Lounge as far as personalized concierge service, bar service, crowd size?

- If you have a special beverage request, have they obtained it, if unavailable, as they seem to do in Michael’s Clubs? 

-On one cruise, someone reported that they left bottles of open wine out for people to help themselves in the Retreat Lounge – is that still happening? Do they have self-serve beer in the coolers now?

- Has the Retreat Sundeck been crowded? Can you still get Luminae lunch items sent up there on sea days?

Apex

-Any inside info regarding Retreat improvements, e.g., a bar?

- Any news on who is going over? I think Capt Costas is going (he said so last year) – any gossip about the CD or others?

-Any other gossip about differences between the Edge and Apex? New balcony furniture on the Sky Suite balconies? New furniture on IV balconies?

Thanks for answering any of the above when you have time!

Edited by vtcruising

3 hours ago, vtcruising said:

That soup didn't sound great, but the rest of it looks wonderful. Love that cake ...my favorite dessert at Luminae. Was there an alternative entree offered last night?

Hope you can enjoy the port, even in the rain.

Last night there was no Special Entree offered.   Hopefully they will this evening.    I have to say we are using the App much more than I have on other cruises.   So far very accurate with the meals but then again - they started on day 1 and we had the same menus in the same order last cruise.