A Call From Princess

JEH

Received a call from Princess  this PM which Ì missed since  I was in a meeting . Exiting the meeting I quickly  called  Princess  back hoping it was the Upgrade  Fairy as we are cruising on Saturday . My hopes were crushed  when the Princess rep told that I was not Ocean Ready and explained what I needed to do to become Ocean Ready. I explained that after reading numerous  postings of fellow  cruisers frustrations  becoming Ocean Ready I was opting to have it done at embarkation .  The rep said that's fine and shifted into a sales pitch for Internet  packages  and specialty dining. Better  luck next I hope.

Boy, they are really trying to force us to become "Ocean Ready."  Email reminders, and now phone calls!  

My understanding is that becoming Ocean Ready might same us five minutes at the pier -- but that to become Ocean Ready, including reading the 17 page thread on Cruise Critic -- will take hours!  Let's see, five minutes at the pier or five frustrating hours at home on the computer/phone/… ?   Just give me my old cruise card!!

Also, I understand that I am better off buying the internet package on Day 1, because they will give me a credit for my free internet minutes, which I will otherwise not get any consideration for.  So that will be a wasted phone call when I get it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, JEH said:

Received a call from Princess  this PM which Ì missed since  I was in a meeting . Exiting the meeting I quickly  called  Princess  back hoping it was the Upgrade  Fairy as we are cruising on Saturday . My hopes were crushed  when the Princess rep told that I was not Ocean Ready and explained what I needed to do to become Ocean Ready. I explained that after reading numerous  postings of fellow  cruisers frustrations  becoming Ocean Ready I was opting to have it done at embarkation .  The rep said that's fine and shifted into a sales pitch for Internet  packages  and specialty dining. Better  luck next I hope.

Let give the rep an (A) for the good old college try. 
Tony 

image.png

• Haha 1

I sailed last week and did not do anything regarding the medallion. When I checked in at the pier I got a medallion on a lanyard. When I boarded I went to guest services and got my regular old black cruise card and didn't use the medallion. The old card does every thing it always has done without all the tracking. 

• Like 9

28 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

Boy, they are really trying to force us to become "Ocean Ready."  Email reminders, and now phone calls!  

My understanding is that becoming Ocean Ready might same us five minutes at the pier -- but that to become Ocean Ready, including reading the 17 page thread on Cruise Critic -- will take hours!  Let's see, five minutes at the pier or five frustrating hours at home on the computer/phone/… ?   Just give me my old cruise card!!

Also, I understand that I am better off buying the internet package on Day 1, because they will give me a credit for my free internet minutes, which I will otherwise not get any consideration for.  So that will be a wasted phone call when I get it.

The hope is down the line they won't need to hire many employees as your doing there jobs, like self service checkouts.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cruzsnooze said:

I sailed last week and did not do anything regarding the medallion. When I checked in at the pier I got a medallion on a lanyard. When I boarded I went to guest services and got my regular old black cruise card and didn't use the medallion. The old card does every thing it always has done without all the tracking. 

I’m with you!  Give me my black card and keep your tracking device. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jokare said:

The hope is down the line they won't need to hire many employees as your doing there jobs, like self service checkouts.

I use the self-service checkout only when I must!  I prefer a live check-out cashier. So, Princess, keep employing real live people!!

• Like 4

Come of folks, get with the program :).  We are certainly not big fans of the entire Medallion thing (including all the apps) but did play the game when recently on the CB (which is one of the ships where OM is fully implemented).  Using Ocean Ready was actually pretty convenient for embarkation and did save waiting in line to do a counter check-in.  I really have no clue to this "self check-out" thing since after far more then 100 cruises (on many lines) we have never even heard of "self check out."  When we disembark a ship we simply get off.  No need to go to Guest Relations or do any kind of check-out.  On the last evening we have noticed folks standing in a long queue to get to the Guest Services desk and concluded that some folks simply love standing in long lines and will do everything possible to find a line so they can fulfill their goal of waiting in more lines.

Hank

P.S.  We are original members of the "Queue Avoidance Club"

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

The old card does every thing it always has done without all the tracking. 

That works for you because you get free laundry.....for those of us who are not elite yet, we still need the medallion to buy laundry tokens.

47 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

On the last evening we have noticed folks standing in a long queue to get to the Guest Services desk and concluded that some folks simply love standing in long lines and will do everything possible to find a line so they can fulfill their goal of waiting in more lines.

Hank

P.S.  We are original members of the "Queue Avoidance Club"

Those are the guests who are removing the gratuity or those who didn't link a credit card to their account.

2 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

And stand in line.:classic_laugh::classic_wink:

better than having all your laundry 'stuff' in hand then realizing that the machine only takes the medallion and not your ( and why is it that almost everyone that wants to 'opt out' ) "BLACK CARD" ??? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

12 hours ago, RRFan said:

I’m with you!  Give me my black card and keep your tracking device. 

What is the mania about being tracked? Is there shady stuff going on? No one is sitting at a terminal tracking your every move. The data is probably going to be used to determine venue use and make changes to better use space available and even plan in future builds. Princess even through the card knows your purchasing habits and what ports have the least number of interested passengers. There is a day coming when they are going to say no more cards, then what?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

If you purchase the coffee package, how does that work with the cruise card. It's my understanding the package is loaded on your medallion.

2 minutes ago, Happy2cruise said:

If you purchase the coffee package, how does that work with the cruise card. It's my understanding the package is loaded on your medallion.

The card/medallion just provide a link to your information so both should allow you access to the coffee package.

8 minutes ago, Happy2cruise said:

It actually has nothing to do with your medallion.  The "coffee card" is loaded into your onboard account which is accessed by the staff at the International Café (or anywhere else you can get coffee).  Only they can see how many specialty coffee drinks you have left (you get 15 with a single coffee card) and you need to ask if you want to know what is left.  You do use your Medallion (or regular ship card) when you get coffee or any drink at the IC...or they can pull up your account with your cabin number.

Hank

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Doug R. said:

What is the mania about being tracked? Is there shady stuff going on? No one is sitting at a terminal tracking your every move. The data is probably going to be used to determine venue use and make changes to better use space available and even plan in future builds. Princess even through the card knows your purchasing habits and what ports have the least number of interested passengers. There is a day coming when they are going to say no more cards, then what?

Each to his own!  I’m just not crazy about my face and name popping up as I walk by each of the readers for everyone to see. They may decide the expense of the medallion is not cost effective enough to continue, especially if they continue to have guests ask for cards too. I don’t think the whole OM program was well thought out. Cost of cards vs cost of producing and shipping OM’s. You’re welcome to your opinion Doug R. and I’ll keep mine!  Thanks!  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, RRFan said:

Each to his own!  I’m just not crazy about my face and name popping up as I walk by each of the readers for everyone to see. They may decide the expense of the medallion is not cost effective enough to continue, especially if they continue to have guests ask for cards too. I don’t think the whole OM program was well thought out. Cost of cards vs cost of producing and shipping OM’s. You’re welcome to your opinion Doug R. and I’ll keep mine!  Thanks!  

I think you  are swimming against the tide and the I want my cruise card rebellion is doomed to failure.  I believe the caring is limited to the few who have posted here. On the screens the pictures that will pop up are those of our pets, so you can make that change to disguise your identity.

4 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Those are the guests who are removing the gratuity or those who didn't link a credit card to their account.

Or have found an erroneous charge on their account, or who have less than $25 of refundable OBC, or need to break a large bill into smaller bills for tips, or who have a question, or.........

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My next cruise in December will be my second om cruise and I think it's a good thing once all the bugs are worked out.  I didn't feel as though I was being tracked on board the ship. It was a convenient for opening our stateroom and receiving it by mail will cut down on lines at port. It didn't take too long after downloading the app to put all the info in.  For this next cruise it only took a few minutes to order medallion since passport info from last cruise was still in there.