Is HPN a good airport to use instead of JFK, LGA and EWR?

DrivesLikeMario

8 hours ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

We've used JFK and EWR in the past for east coast cruises, but our favorite airline has some flights out of HPN.  Is that a viable option?  I know the cruise line won't have transfers there but I figured we could Uber there.  Is it worth it despite it being so much further away?
TIA.

HPN is Westchester County Airport.  Which of the 3 NY cruiseports are you sailing from?  Car Service would likely be a good option - book in advance with a fixed price quote so there are no surprises.

• Like 1

HPN is a popular airport for private jets for people who live in the area (Greenwich, White Plaines, Tarrytown etc) as well as having a smaller amount of commercial traffic. It's about an hours drive to midtown Manhattan-- will be a little more to get to Brooklyn and a bit longer to get to Cape Liberty. Then again, JFK can take an hour or more to get to Midtown as well, depending on the time of day. It's sort of a toss up-- geographically if you are sailing out of Cape Liberty EWR is by far the closest and HPN is most likely not worth the hassle. If you are headed into Manhattan, HPN might not be that bad for the right flight at the right price. Otherwise the other NYC airports will most likely be a little easier/less expensive/faster. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

Do you think Uber is a good option just requesting it the day of disembarkation?  We've been burned before by Carmel and Dial 7 car services so would like to stay away from them.  

I'm in and out of HPN a few times a year for work and always use Uber from there without any issues. Uber Black, because of the distance can be a little pricey-- will only use with clients to NYC. UberX is generally less than what a taxi or dispatch service will charge. 

35 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

I'm in and out of HPN a few times a year for work and always use Uber from there without any issues. Uber Black, because of the distance can be a little pricey-- will only use with clients to NYC. UberX is generally less than what a taxi or dispatch service will charge. 

That sounds great, thank you so much!  

Does anyone know if Uber is allowed to enter the Redhook Terminal area like the car services do?

DrivesLikeMario,  I am a crewmember who flies into HPN on Private Jets.  My company uses limo service out of there to TEB, LGA, and EWR.  It is about an hour ride from HPN to LGA;  a little more time for the rest of the airports; or in your case cruise port. We use Empire limo's; they cover NY and NJ both.  All airports and all hotels

• Like 1

Thanks so much, AF-1.  The idea of flying out of a quieter airport appeals to me a lot.  I don't mind the extra driving time.  I would guess that a noon flight would be do-able if we did walk-off disembarkation at the earliest possible time, right? 

Does this timeline make sense?   Or am I being too optimistic?
Walk-off disembarkation by 8:00am (last time we walked off at 7:35am)

UberX picks us up within 20 mins.

90 min. drive to HPN
Arrive at HPN by 10:00am

Noon flight out

18 hours ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

Does this timeline make sense?   Or am I being too optimistic?
Walk-off disembarkation by 8:00am (last time we walked off at 7:35am)

UberX picks us up within 20 mins.

90 min. drive to HPN
Arrive at HPN by 10:00am

Noon flight out

As long as your'e walking off I think theres plenty of buffer there to make it work. When I fly out of HPN a handfull of times a year its on the company's plane so don't have any experience in the commercial terminal there but it looks like its small and TSA should be quick. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/18/2019 at 2:10 PM, princeton123211 said:

ommercial terminal there but it looks like its small and TSA should be quick. 

Small, quick and easy for commercial travel, absolutely nothing like the larger airports. Well, those airports have their moments, but rarely. HPN is small compared to the others, civilized, easy, and calm, you'll like it. Making a 12 Noon flight should be no problem. 

And Uber are licensed by NYC Taxi and Limo (TLC) the same as yellow cabs so they are permitted to pick up passengers anywhere that taxis are able to enter. Uber cars that do not have NYC TLC certification can not pick up passengers if say, they have driven from HPN to Red Hook; they must then drive empty back to wherever their home turf is (or anywhere outside the NYC area) in order to resume collecting passengers again. 

Enjoy the experience. 🙂