Jamericannn

Does Size Matter? 🤔  

73 members have voted

1. 1. How Do You Like Her?

• Small - Less than 109, 000 tons
    • Mid-Size 110,000 - 144,000 tons
    • Mega - 145,000+ tons

24 minutes ago, Jamericannn said:

I’ve seen people write that they don’t like some ships because they are too large. As for myself, there is not such a thing as a ship being too large. It just means I have more options. What about you?

A large ship means more people.  More people equals more crowding, longer lines, and less non-revenue space.

• Like 3

I can appreciate some people preferring the smaller ships. Having done two fantasy class last year, there were definitely pros. The Punchliner was the best experience by far. I could walk in at show start, and get a great seat. A lot of areas were a big a less crowded. Some were just as crowded.

With that said, I love the larger experiences. For me, I want to have FUN. There are absolutely quiet places on every single ship, big or large. I don't get the complaints about going to the lido deck during peak hours of the day and being mad it's crowded. It's like that on nearly every vacation I've ever been on. Cruises just aren't places where you are going to swim laps either. I love having more choices of things to do, more choices of what to eat. One of the biggest draws of cruising is the variety and having something for everyone. Some will just make mountains out of mole hills.

• Like 1

NO, size does not matter to us, we love them all. We also dont care what cruise line we book as long as its the right itinerary, and bang for our buck. We actually had some of our best cruises on smaller ships, but they are all great!!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Palmetto Pilot said:

Dream class on Carnival and the Freedom Class on Royal are my idea size. 

Same here.  They are the right fit for us. I don't need a ton of different things to do or places to eat.  I don't want to arrive at a show an hour early just to get a good seat.  I have done enough water slides and amusement park rides to last a lifetime while my kids were growing up.  I want to be able to have good food, good entertainment, and a nice place to relax while not visiting the ports.

That being said, we have booked the Panorama out of Long Beach.  LOL.  My husband wants to experience new ports.  At least going into it I will be prepared to line up for shows extremely early to get decent seats like our Vista cruise.  I've never had a bad cruise and I know this one will be a good one too.  My preference is Dream class though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tiger0613 said:

A large ship means more people.  More people equals more crowding, longer lines, and less non-revenue space.

That's not actually how it works.  The biggest ships in the world have more space and some of the best passenger to space ratios at sea. And are absolutely loaded with open, spacious, non revenue areas.

Edited by BNBR
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jamericannn said:

I’ve seen people write that they don’t like some ships because they are too large. As for myself, there is not such a thing as a ship being too large. It just means I have more options. What about you?

I'm with you.  Bigger the better. 

Hi

You also have to figure, for some the issue with a larger ship is as simple as the fact that walking from different venues can be a considerable distance and for many this is hard. 

Very often, of course depending on the ship, the MDR and the theater are at opposite ends of the ship. You can imagine starting from your cabin at one end and doing a crisscross for a good part of the evening. It can be tiring for some. Being on a larger ship means you will be walking more than if you are a smaller ship, you can't get around that.

For people that aren't looking for "things to do" on board, a larger ship just means spending more time getting there. Long ago, and not for a reason of mobility, I understood that I more enjoyed a ship where if you were on one side, you could easily see the other. The ship doesn't need to entertain me. If it does and it is convenient enough, that's a plus. I enjoy the quiet, the  ocean and watching the moon and the stars. Watching the sunrises and sunsets still doesn't get old for me. 

Only have 5 cruises under my belt but I found out this year after 2 cruises on larger, newer ships that they are what I like. I dont cruise to relax so the more to do and see the better for me. I also enjoy the expanded food options. Didnt experience any crazy crowds or lines anywhere, many times we were all alone in what I would have thought were popular areas.

3 hours ago, n6uqqq said:

I'll take Spirit class for 1000 Alex.

I wish I could like this a whole bunch of times 🤣 Spirit class are my favorites, love the overall layout and ease of getting around. Plus, I’ve never felt like there were too many people in a space. 

• Like 1

I take it this thread started on the Carnival board.  😉

I like them all.  RCI's Oasis Class has the best entertainment at sea, yet the smallest ships I've sailed had a tendency toward more personal service and better itineraries.  

25 minutes ago, Bizmark'sMom said:

I prefer small ships, mostly because the cruise lines running them have more interesting itineraries. I am much more interested in expert lecturers and long port stays than I am in comedy and variety shows.

+1 

I have done a couple of larger ships and will try once more on QM2 because it is a cruise liner. Bigger ships to date have disappointed me, maybe because I like people but I really dislike crowds.

I like the fact that on smaller ships we can visit smaller ports. For example this July we visited Santorini and Mykonos but we also got to visit Spetse, Agios Nikolas and similar ports.

I can happily entertain myself reading, going to the gym and lectures. But everyone likes and prefers different things. Thankfully, otherwise life would be boring.

13 hours ago, BNBR said:

That's not actually how it works.  The biggest ships in the world have more space and some of the best passenger to space ratios at sea. And are absolutely loaded with open, spacious, non revenue areas.

Overall it is how it works.  Now if you are comparing the largest to smallest ships on RCCL, NCL, CCL, HAL, etc., you are probably correct.  But comparing the largest mass market ship to lines like Crystal, Silversea, VIking Ocean, Seabourne, etc., you aren't even close.