QM2 Transatlantic Deck13 Inside - thoughts?

OneManInTheSun

Hi, first time poster and first time cruiser here!
I have just booked transatlantic crossing next June, Southampton to NY on QM2, and was allocated Deck 13 room 13017. This is an inside room added in the 2016 refit (like all the deck 13 rooms).

I actually like the idea of being right at the top and having the open deck very close on the same level. I was going to pay more for a balcony but after reading others feedback on the transatlantic weather I decided to save the cash which will in effect pay for the 3 nights in NY and our drinks on board.

Has anyone stayed in these rooms and if so can you tell me your opinions? Also I am not sure if i should tick the 'Accept Upgrade' box because being upgraded to a similar room just slightly more centre ship would not be worth it. I am aware these are the cheapest cabins and small, so in theory any upgrade would be good.. 

thoughts anyone?

thanks

If it was me , I would never lock myself into any Inside Cabin assignment and always Allow Any Upgrade .

There would at least be a "chance" for daylight and a view or even better.

Of course there is the chance that you could lose that Inside cabin location ,that you prefer, for another Inside Cabin location ? ?

Hi, 

I personally prefer staterooms that are located on Decks 4, 5 or 6. These are conveniently located between the promenade deck (including the Kings Court) and the main public rooms on Decks 2 and 3. For a crossing, I like the sheltered balcony staterooms. They are protected from the weather but still provide a view of the ocean. I really enjoy seeing the ocean and sky. 

The staterooms on Deck 13 are good because they are fairly new. However, they are many decks away from most of the public areas. Also, the top outdoor decks are sometimes closed during crossings due to weather.

The Queen Mary 2 is my favorite ship and the crossings are wonderful. There usually are many interesting lectures during the day. Also, I greatly enjoy afternoon tea in the Queens Room.

Chuck

Edited by seacruise9

Hmmm, interesting question. A certain amount of subjectivity here. 

The fact is, you will spend very little waking hours in your cabin. However, the time you do spend in your cabin (other than sleeping) can be greatly enhanced by a balcony; room service breakfast, dressing for dinner, throwing open the drapes first thing after hopping out of bed in the morning are just a few examples. June should be a good month for using the balcony. As a compromise, why not look into a sheltered balcony. Off-set the added cost by bringing on your own wine and spirits which is completely allowed by Cunard (note: there is a U$20 corkage fee for wine brought to the dinning room).

As far as deck 13 is concerned, you are an elevator ride and a 3 minute walk from any point on the ship. You will also have a plexiglass shower door rather than marginal shower curtin. We have traveled on deck 12 (12022) and loved the location. In any case, I see no downside in accepting an upgrade.

In any case, you should thoroughly enjoy your crossing on the QM2 regardless of which cabin you are in.

Jack

IMG_2043.JPG

3 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

My biggest concern wouldn't be outside or inside so much as that on a transat you'll be very high up on the ship and forward. QM2 is a very stable ship, much more than most, but you'll feel anything if the sea starts to act up from where you are. 

Hi, 

I agree with this. There have been occasions when I have felt considerable movement in the Commodore Club and the ship's library. The movement on Deck 13 forward would be even more pronounced.

Because I try to take the stairs rather than an elevator, I prefer staterooms on a more central deck. It would be a long climb from the Royal Court Theatre to Deck 13 after an evening show.

Chuck

• Like 1

3 hours ago, seacruise9 said:

Because I try to take the stairs rather than an elevator, I prefer staterooms on a more central deck. It would be a long climb from the Royal Court Theatre to Deck 13 after an evening show.

Chuck

You are absolute right Chuck, I would have to make a brief stop in the Commodore's Club, but probably no more than 2 hours.

Jack

• Haha 1

In September of 2016 we had a stateroom on Deck 13. Although it was a Britannia Club balcony room,  I did see inside one of the inside rooms. It was not small and looked quite comfortable.  We enjoyed being on Deck 13. It was rather bumpy one day and night when the Atlantic was acting up, but the odds are you should have mostly good weather in June.

The only lift/staircase is, of course, "A", but if the weather is fine you can go out the aft door on Deck 13 and make your way down to the "B" stairs/lifts and shorten your trip to most of the ship. The Britannia Restaurant is quite a hike from the Deck 13 staterooms, but this is an advantage for anyone who needs the exercise and can handle the walk easily.  My wife and I like to climb some stairs, but going from Deck to 2 to 13 is no longer possible for us. Thankfully there are plenty of lifts.

Edited by david,Mississauga
grammar

Dear OneManInTheSun,

We have in the past sailed for the first time on the newly added Deck 13 (Britannia Club Class Cabin) which wasn't inside but a balcony. We normally book a cabin that is located midship for the stability factor.

Sailing took place during the Month of July on a New England/Canada voyage.

Yes it delightful to experience this new area added to the QM2 with it's new decor. Some of the additions were a glass door to the shower instead of a curtain, newly designed bathroom interior and sliding door to the balcony instead of the swinging style.

This was the first time we sailed on the Mary quite forward on the ship. We experienced a smooth and pleasant sailing with very little movement on each leg of the voyage. Not being a T/A, we can't comment on what you would experience on your sailing.

One thing we did have to come accustom to was the distance the restaurants were being on the far end of the ship on the lower decks. It was quite a hike to and from the dining room.

I don't mind inside cabins, but I would not go for any cabin on deck 13.  As has been said, you are a long way from anywhere (apart from the open deck).    Unless you want to work up an appetite on the long march to the Britannia Restaurant. 

Thank you all for so many helpful replies!  ☺️

The group opinion seems to be that we should be open to an upgrade as a view/balcony would be a big improvement (if we were lucky enough). Ive logged into the cunard voyage personaliser and cant find the 'accept upgrade' button. Maybe i will have to call them to change it.

It was also great to hear from Lanky Lad and BklynBoy8 who have actually stayed on Deck 13. My wife and i are early 40's and enjoy lots of walking so the distance to the main public areas/restaurants would actually be something i think we would enjoy. And i especially like the idea of stopping off at the commodore club on the way down and back up! it also great to hear that the inside room we have currently booked did not look too small!

Also Jack E Dawson thank you for the tip on taking our own wine.. i honestly thought that policy had now changed (from reading forums and t&c's) and that we were only allowed a single bottle. It would definitely be nice to take more than one bottle.. although we plan on spending a lot of time people/sea watching in the various bars and so will probably go for the 'Beers,Wines and Spirits' drinks package.

cant wait!

thx again

Three years ago, I stayed in one of the inside deck 13 cabins for a December back to back transatlantic. and absolutely loved it. Quiet, center of the ship so no feel of motion. They are close to the forward elevators which being smaller do not get the play the mid -ship one do so easier to use. Yes the dining room is a ways away but if one is hearty the walk up and down is invigorating. I will always seek one of those cabins when ever I return to the QM2. So go for it and do not signify a willingness for an upgrade.

On 10/18/2019 at 5:38 PM, seacruise9 said:

I agree with this. There have been occasions when I have felt considerable movement in the Commodore Club and the ship's library. The movement on Deck 13 forward would be even more pronounced.

Just to provide a counter-perspective to these points:

- Movement - Yes, there is marginally greater movement at the upper decks forward than in the lower decks, amidship or aft ... but the QM2 is one of the most stable floating platforms on Earth. The stabilizers mitigate most of the roll, while the ship's length and hull-form minimize any pitching. At its worst the movement will rock you nicely to sleep, not knock you off your feet. Unless you are particular susceptible to motion sickness, I wouldn't worry about it.

- Distance - Bear in mind that everything is "downhill" from your location, so unless your mobility is restricted this should not be an issue. I stayed in 12-001 for back-to-back crossings last summer and I found it very convenient to nip down the stairs in mere seconds for dining and other activities when I was in a rush (which is equally as quick as riding the elevators), then to take the elevator back up later if I was "tired" after visiting the bar ... or to climb the stairs at a leisurely pace.

Deck 13 Inside vs Deck 12 Balcony - now that is another kettle of fish.
For my sole voyage with Cunard I was spoiled with a balcony (for a greatly reduced fare of about $100 more each way than an inside cabin on a lower deck), and it would be difficult to imagine going without that benefit. 
Morning, afternoon and evening I spent extended periods on my balcony or just enjoyed the sea-breeze and ocean sounds through the open door (ensuring that the "wind-tunnel effect" would not annoy my neighbours by whistling through the door, and would not present a hazard to my cabin steward while opening the door).
The views were awe-inspiring, including passing ships and sea-life (dolphins, whales, and flying fish). My only criticism was that the open decks are lit up like a Christmas tree, thus introducing too much light pollution to fully enjoy the night sky except from the open observation deck on Deck 11 across the front of the superstructure.
As the forward-most cabin on the starboard side, I also enjoyed a view into the starboard bridgewing.
Other than a glass shower door and the benefits of Britannia Club, I'm not aware of any inherent advantage to Deck 13 over Deck 12, and 13 has indoor access to fewer stairwells and elevators than the other decks without walking across the open deck. Not that I would mind the open air in any weather, but in high winds Cunard acts with an abundance of caution and closes doors to the open decks.

Having said all that, everyone has their own preferences and I understand that my opinion is a minority view.
I'm sure you will love your voyage, whatever the location.

zr4DplPwStKLkLnvcwDZsA.jpg

• Like 1

Ive logged into the cunard voyage personaliser and cant find the 'accept upgrade' button. Maybe i will have to call them to change it.

You must call whomever you booked with to accept any , accept only to next type , or not accept any upgrade .Can’t do it yourself .

On 10/20/2019 at 2:57 PM, VintageCCG said:

Just to provide a counter-perspective to these points:

- Movement - Yes, there is marginally greater movement at the upper decks forward than in the lower decks, amidship or aft ... but the QM2 is one of the most stable floating platforms on Earth. The stabilizers mitigate most of the roll, while the ship's length and hull-form minimize any pitching. At its worst the movement will rock you nicely to sleep, not knock you off your feet. Unless you are particular susceptible to motion sickness, I wouldn't worry about it.

While there is no doubt that the QM2 is the most stable ship I have ever sailed in, it is not  a hotel.  On a bumpy sea it can be stable but it can also pitch.  I wouldn't say I was knocked off my feet, but on one voyage - forward on Deck 10 -  my wife and I were thrown into the bulkhead. On another crossing on Deck 13  I was thrown into the edge of the bathroom door. Fortunately there were no injuries or even lasting pain.

I would definitely prefer to be on the QM2 than any other ship  when the sea gets rough. The lovely old QE2 could go into a significant pitch even in moderate seas. Many years ago we encountered a rough 24 hours on one of the Royal Mail ships of the Union-Castle Line. Clothes and fruit went flying across our cabin which under the bridge. Those older liners had a long and gently-narrowing bow, but even with a short bow the QM2 can handle "bumpiness" as well as can be expected.

Edited by david,Mississauga

A lot depends on the weather, which is unpredictable.  Take no notice of people who try to predict what certain months will be like - I have just completed crossings in August and October and the former had two rough days and the latter none.

The only certainty is that the westbound crossing is more likely to have a mix of weather as you travel through the weather systems, whereas eastbound you can follow either a storm system or a calm patch between systems.  Westbound is generally windier on deck as you can add 20 mph to the prevailing wind, whereas eastbound with a prevailing W/SW wind can be surprisingly calm.

If you get good weather, all the staircases are accessible by dropping down the steps from deck 13 to 12 - C is inside just beyond the indoor pool, and D reached by the door next to the kennels.

If you’ll be out and about all day enjoying the ship, you really don’t need a window.  If you are likely to be resting up a lot or dining in-cabin, daylight is nice.