Meraviglia New York-Canada-Miami Oct/Nov '19

Beamafar

2 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

This is our table in the YC restaurant with a view of Oranjestad (we also had a similar one with the lights of New York City in the background 😀)

20191106_183511.thumb.jpg.fe2f04c7da170b1ea3916337142d5705.jpg

That looks amazing!  I can't wait to board and sit at one of those tables.  Does the Divina have a similar setup?  How do you get such a lovely table position?

4 hours ago, lakelivin2 said:

Thank you.  This helps me decide to skip the tryptic package.  Just not enough options in the dining experience ( in Kaito and Ocean Cay) for us. 

Totally agree!!

On 3 Musica-class ships, where the menus in the Oriental Speciality Restaurants are identical, we were always allowed to choose 2 dishes plus dessert from the main menu as there was nothing we'd eat on the DE section.  On this ship, when we asked, we were told No.  Eventually after the SR manager also said the same, the chef in charge of the SRs whom we'd been speaking with the previous evening OK'd it.

We ordered a fried rice dish and terryaki beef and we asked for them to be served together.  Well ... they put the 2 dishes on the one plate.  Then we had dessert.  I priced what the cost would have been had we been paying and it came to $33.  The DE Diamond meal is priced at $34!

Here is what we had on Mera

Screenshot_20191104-211658_Gallery.thumb.jpg.7e036de09208ddfa1d436a411f0bf559.jpg

... and this is how it was served on Poesia last year as 2 separate dishes

Screenshot_20191104-211724_Gallery.thumb.jpg.dde7b9f34e844aaf50be838e13d0c597.jpg

Screenshot_20191104-211736_Gallery.thumb.jpg.30c4db6fe94c245c8e1902b1e74d196a.jpg

Note the larger servings of both the fried rice AND the terryaki beef on Poesia 🙄

Edited by Beamafar

3 hours ago, lakelivin2 said:

Thank you.  This helps me decide to skip the tryptic package.  Just not enough options in the dining experience ( in Kaito and Ocean Cay) for us. 

We made the same decision. I wish that MSC allowed us to book individual restaurants each night before boarding. Two out of the three restaurants on the Grandiosa would work on the tryptic but not Kaito. 

1 hour ago, Beamafar said:

Here's a photo from the Preziosa YC restaurant, Divina's sister ship

Screenshot_20191106-185123_Gallery.thumb.jpg.a8ee8efb3336bc2999cc99452e0304c1.jpg

There are also wonderful 2-tops along the windows, positioned similarly.

Oops ... sorry ... that's Splendida's YC restaurant 🙄

5 hours ago, Beamafar said:

This is our table in the YC restaurant with a view of Oranjestad (we also had a similar one with the lights of New York City in the background 😀)

20191106_183511.thumb.jpg.fe2f04c7da170b1ea3916337142d5705.jpg

That's a beautiful spot.  Are there any tables for 4 by the window?

1 hour ago, nednrom said:

That's a beautiful spot.  Are there any tables for 4 by the window?

There's a 6-top next to us which, I'm sure, could easily be converted into a 4-top.

If you go early to the restaurant, and at a regular time, they will facilitate you.

There was also a dish of roast chicken put out after I'd taken the photo, which I had, along with the vegetable fritters.  I had to go get some more of those!  They were delicious 😋

The Executive chef is up here all the time overseeing everything!  👍

• Like 2

We've been treated as though we're doing a B2B and have received all the Diamond perks twice.  I'm happy with this because we had to get off in NY (not MSC's fault, I know) but we also didn't receive a newspaper that morning, either, despite it not being a disembark/re-embark, 2 bookings cruise.  The way I feel about it is that we've been treated in some ways as though we were B2B, so it's good that we're getting the benefits of it.  😉

Edited by Beamafar
  • Like 4

As we're nearing the end of this cruise, I'm so glad we booked YC.  It's been a fantastic experience, despite some food issues, but, because I'm not a great eater anyway, it's not a big issue for me in the overall scheme of things and we've certainly enjoyed some wonderful dishes along the way.

The "incident" that caused us a bit of upset for the first couple of days after last leaving New York, was well made up to us by Antonio, the HD, as well as others over the course of the last few days and has faded fast from memory! 🙂 

We've had 6 nights of Speciality Restaurants, one night in each of Kaito and Ocean Cay (neither of which I'd dine in again, nor would I recommend the tryptic package on this ship) and 4 nights in Butcher's Cut.  We've booked our last visit to BC for tomorrow night.

Tonight is our 3rd Elegant night of this leg (our 6th in all).  It's lobster night (which I really don't get the fuss about because I've never had it and won't even try it!  We were in Bar Harbor, for Heaven's sake ... if I didn't try it there, there's no way I'll try it anywhere else lol 😏)

Edited by Beamafar
  • Like 1

Thank you for your marvelous review thus far!!!!

Great info about avoiding the tryptic package - it's astounding to see how "dumbed down" the Ocean Cay menu is from the last time we dined there on Seaside in February!

I was wondering now that the sun has come out whether you are finding sufficient shade in The YC pool area?

Thanks is advance (even though I'll thank you again!)

• Haha 1

I witnessed an off-putting incident at the pool grill today.  The food had been laid out but wasn't available to have just yet.  A couple of (mature)  women came along to see what was on offer.  One was wearing bikini bottoms and slapped herself on the behind before rubbing her hands along the rail at the food station 😱

There is a sign up asking people to wash their hands before coming for food;  I noted that I was the only one who did.  The sinks are right next to the food station!  The way people come up at 12.30pm to wait for the station to open, you would think that they hadn't seen food for a week!

20191107_113542.thumb.jpg.5e983a07651fa25464b79b615b662b92.jpg

The sign that's totally ignored lol  You can see the sinks immediately to the right in this photo.

Edited by Beamafar
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

I witnessed an off-putting incident at the pool grill today.  The food had been laid out but wasn't available to have just yet.  A couple of (mature)  women came along to see what was on offer.  One was wearing bikini bottoms and slapped herself on the behind before rubbing her hands along the rail at the food station 😱

There is a sign up asking people to wash their hands before coming for food;  I noted that I was the only one who did.  The sinks are right next to the food station!  The way people come up at 12.30pm to wait for the station to open, you would think that they hadn't seen food for a week!

20191107_113542.thumb.jpg.5e983a07651fa25464b79b615b662b92.jpg

The sign that's totally ignored lol  You can see the sinks immediately to the right in this photo.

Yuck. OTOH, my wife, who is never one to hold her tongue, would have given said ladies a stern talking to, likely accompanied by a frog-march to the sinks and a thorough rinsing with scalding hot water. LOL

• Haha 1

Hi, Doc!

We don't spend a lot of time on the pool deck ... DH isn't fond of the sun (unlike me, who would never seek the shade, so am not aware of whether it's available or not lol 🙄)

When we reached warmer seas, the pool grill has been open for lunch on the days we didn't have rain.  At first, they put up one of the YC 'tents' over the seating area beside the grill.  It was very obvious this was not enough and now there are 3 tents over the area (which was still not enough with it being a sea day and everyone wanting outdoor lunch).  We sit there early so we have cover by the time lunch is being served 😁

20191101_115639.thumb.jpg.939b21d0cc7cfc5815f639cefe485e1e.jpg

13 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Hi, Doc!

We don't spend a lot of time on the pool deck ... DH isn't fond of the sun (unlike me, who would never seek the shade, so am not aware of whether it's available or not lol 🙄)

When we reached warmer seas, the pool grill has been open for lunch on the days we didn't have rain.  At first, they put up one of the YC 'tents' over the seating area beside the grill.  It was very obvious this was not enough and now there are 3 tents over the area (which was still not enough with it being a sea day and everyone wanting outdoor lunch).  We sit there early so we have cover by the time lunch is being served 😁

20191101_115639.thumb.jpg.939b21d0cc7cfc5815f639cefe485e1e.jpg

Thanks for responding so quickly!!

I was trying to figure out whether the glass "pergolas" actually did anything!  

As for the "I think I'll rub my bottom and have an eclair" ladies, unfortunately this is just what you witnessed!. The "I think I'll put my hands down my pants and have potato salad" gentlemen were behind schedule and not yet visible!!!

That's why I always have a pocket hand sanitizer with me - it's important to get your hands after touching the communal tongs which are only two letters away from communal tongues!!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1