No more suite amenities i.e. Shampoo, Conditioner, Lotion.

Kentucky816

16 hours ago, WPTNGirl said:

I really dont see that many on this thread are complaining "to no end" about this elimination.  My earlier comment was that after sailing in a suite for eight times, I got used to having the body lotion provided so I have quit packing it.  This last time I did ask for the lotion since I didn't have any.  I will know in November to take my own.  This started as an informative post so those of us that we're used to these things in suites could be prepared to bring our own.  I appreciate the original post.

Not only are there not "many here" that "complain to no end, because of the elimination of bottles of shampoo & conditioner & body lotion", but there hasn't been anyone complaining about this.  Because I'm getting a slow start to my morning here while I get fully caffeinated, I went back and checked the whole thread.  The only things close to complaints on this thread are coming from a couple of Joes about nonexistent complaints. 

It's almost as if a few are trying to invent fervor against this so that they (the Joes) can then shout them down and call them wasteful, entitled, enemies of the environment.  The outrage doesn't exist (at least on this thread, or anywhere else I have seen).  It's practically a nonissue.  It is an appreciated PSA from the OP.  Those of us affected by the cutback are grateful to the OP for the news and are now prepared to make adjustments.  End of issue. 

But it seems as if a few want to foment a classic CC outrage-fueled battle over this, so that they can be on the "reasonable side".  It's hard to have a battle when your opponent isn't fighting.  There's just no outrage here.  There's no complaining.   So what's a Joe to do?  Why, turn to the Strawman Fallacy, of course.:classic_rolleyes:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

It's almost as if a few are trying to invent fervor against this so that they (the Joes) can then shout them down and call them wasteful, entitled, enemies of the environment.  The outrage doesn't exist (at least on this thread, or anywhere else I have seen).  It's practically a nonissue.  It is an appreciated PSA from the OP.  Those of us affected by the cutback are grateful to the OP for the news and are now prepared to make adjustments.  End of issue.

If I had a dollar for every time I read about "samples" being gone, shampoo/conditioner not being sufficient, "cutbacks," "they keep taking everything away", etc etc, I'd have enough money to buy everyone on the boat their own full-sized shampoo of choice.

All I'm saying is times change. We can sit here and debate things that 90% of cruisers don't care about like table clothes, or we can spread the enjoyment of what is here now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/18/2019 at 4:53 PM, Joebucks said:

Why is this even a topic? All it turns into is more cranky people who can't consume more stuff for "free".

The items were never “free” nothing on a cruise line is ever “free”. What they were was included in the fare you paid.  They are no longer included in the fare.  It is relevant because some cruisers pack based on not bringing items that are being included, but pack items that aren’t included. 

• Like 3

On 10/19/2019 at 7:02 PM, DebJ14 said:

Doing away with individual pats of butter, straws, individual bottles of toiletries is all part of the court settlement they came up with in that environmental case in federal court.  They got hauled into court and reamed out for not knowing exactly how many individual water bottles were used.  They tried to tell the court that with 120,000 employees on multiple ships and in multiple countries that training everyone would take time.  The court was having none of it.  The current judge is retiring, but another like minded, anti cruise, pro environment judge, is taking over the case.  It is going to get worse folks with more and more items taken away to satisfy the court.

They aren't really taking anything away though. They're replacing them with more environmentally friendly versions. The straws are replaced with edible ones. The stir sticks are going to be metal ones that are washable. 

It's all still available in the rooms, the format is just changed. 

34 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

The items were never “free” nothing on a cruise line is ever “free”. What they were was included in the fare you paid.  They are no longer included in the fare.  

Don't you find it odd that the ticket contract makes no mention of what you think was included in your fare? Your assumptions are not binding on Carnival.

Edited by BlerkOne

8 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Don't you find it odd that the ticket contract makes no mention of what you think was included in your fare? Your assumptions are not binding on Carnival.

The ticket contract doesn’t specifically mention that there will be sheets on the mattress  or that there will be hot water in the shower.  Come to think of it Carnival didn’t violate the ticket contract on the “poop cruise” because the contract doesn’t specifically mention working toilets or electricity being included either.

But if you go on a cruise (or a hotel) and then go back you expect similar services and amenities the second time.  

Maybe the cruise contract is so vague so the cruise line can lure people on board based on past levels of service and then cut them back.

Edited by ed01106
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, CallistaSkye said:

They aren't really taking anything away though. They're replacing them with more environmentally friendly versions. The straws are replaced with edible ones. The stir sticks are going to be metal ones that are washable. 

It's all still available in the rooms, the format is just changed. 

Just what I want, butter on the Lido that everyone has been digging in.  The edible straws are horrible and disintegrated before I got halfway through my drink.  As for washable items, I have had to send glasses back because they had grease or lipstick on them.  I don't trust them to wash everything properly.  I am bringing my own paper straws.  I had to hunt far and wide to find some that were gluten free as many are made with wheat paste.  Environmentally friendly does not necessarily equal sanitary!

2 minutes ago, DebJ14 said:

Just what I want, butter on the Lido that everyone has been digging in.  The edible straws are horrible and disintegrated before I got halfway through my drink.  As for washable items, I have had to send glasses back because they had grease or lipstick on them.  I don't trust them to wash everything properly.  I am bringing my own paper straws.  I had to hunt far and wide to find some that were gluten free as many are made with wheat paste.  Environmentally friendly does not necessarily equal sanitary!

I see the sarcasm trolls are back again... 

3 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

The ticket contract doesn’t specifically mention that there will be sheets on the mattress  or that there will be hot water in the shower.  Come to think of it Carnival didn’t violate the ticket contract on the “poop cruise” because the contract doesn’t specifically mention working toilets or electricity being included either.

But if you go on a cruise (or a hotel) and then go back you expect similar services and amenities the second time.  

Maybe the cruise contract is so vague so the cruise line can lure people on board based on past levels of service and then cut them back.

Given the number of ambulance chasers out there, the ticket contract is as specific as it needs to be and is the only leg you have to stand on.  Your expectations are figments and not Carnival's problem.

9 minutes ago, CallistaSkye said:

I see the sarcasm trolls are back again... 

No, just someone who does not want to get sick on a cruise!  I have had my fair share of it from the waiter not giving me the correct meal causing me to be stuck in my cabin for 4 days with diarrhea.  I wish you could experience Celiac disease for a week to see what we go through.  Straws at many places are not gluten free and cause issues as well as those environmentally friendly take away cartons that are made with wheat.  For celiacs the safest is a wrapped plastic straw or styrofoam, or I will concede a metal straw, but only if I see it go in the dishwasher.   Disney has been proactive about this.  Nobody gave a fig about the fall out for some of us with the rush to be environmentally friendly. 

Just now, DebJ14 said:

No, just someone who does not want to get sick on a cruise!  I have had my fair share of it from the waiter not giving me the correct meal causing me to be stuck in my cabin for 4 days with diarrhea.  I wish you could experience Celiac disease for a week to see what we go through.  Straws at many places are not gluten free and cause issues as well as those environmentally friendly take away cartons that are made with wheat.  For celiacs the safest is a wrapped plastic straw or styrofoam, or I will concede a metal straw, but only if I see it go in the dishwasher.   Disney has been proactive about this.  Nobody gave a fig about the fall out for some of us with the rush to be environmentally friendly. 

Ahh gotha. Sorry, there are people on here that "troll" regularly unfortunately. I don't need to experience Celiac, I have friends who have it. Didn't know about the straws having gluten in them. But I've been out to dinner with friends who were reassured that their meal was gluten free and then turns out.. it wasn't.. so I do understand what you mean. The straw thing bothers me,  I work in the medical field, and we literally have to have straws for our residents. People with dementia can't use metal straws because it can break their teeth and it's dangerous. Plus, as you have said, reusable straws are not sanitary in a mass environment. If you can find a silicon straw to take on board that might help? It's annoying to have to wash your own straw, but I found one that has a carrying case to keep it in between uses. I plan on doing that since I don't want the edible straws either, and metal ones can be dangerous because they are so inflexible. Thankfully hospitals seem to be exempt from the no straw rules for now. We had someone call the state on us for having styrofoam cups in the facility. I wish I was kidding. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Given the number of ambulance chasers out there, the ticket contract is as specific as it needs to be and is the only leg you have to stand on.  Your expectations are figments and not Carnival's problem.

Contract is written so that you can’t sue them if they fail to meet the customers unreasonable expectations like working toilets or electricity.  

The PURPOSE of this board is to allow cruisers to share experience with others, which is exactly what this thread was doing.  

11 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

Contract is written so that you can’t sue them if they fail to meet the customers unreasonable expectations like working toilets or electricity.  

The PURPOSE of this board is to allow cruisers to share experience with others, which is exactly what this thread was doing.  

The contract is written and updated BECAUSE people sue them. 

The purpose of this board is whatever the owners say it is and any thread over 1 page long is likely way off topic of whatever the OP was trying to communicate.

1 minute ago, ed01106 said:

And they have done a lot of stuff that is sue worthy.  The victims of the poop cruise should have had legal recourse.

Why? For failing to follow simple directions? We never have the luck to be on any of the free cruises with future cruise credit. Carnival already provides far greater compensation for "victims" than any legal obligation they might have. 

But poop cruises have what to do with Suite Amenities?

4 hours ago, CallistaSkye said:

Ahh gotha. Sorry, there are people on here that "troll" regularly unfortunately. I don't need to experience Celiac, I have friends who have it. Didn't know about the straws having gluten in them. But I've been out to dinner with friends who were reassured that their meal was gluten free and then turns out.. it wasn't.. so I do understand what you mean. The straw thing bothers me,  I work in the medical field, and we literally have to have straws for our residents. People with dementia can't use metal straws because it can break their teeth and it's dangerous. Plus, as you have said, reusable straws are not sanitary in a mass environment. If you can find a silicon straw to take on board that might help? It's annoying to have to wash your own straw, but I found one that has a carrying case to keep it in between uses. I plan on doing that since I don't want the edible straws either, and metal ones can be dangerous because they are so inflexible. Thankfully hospitals seem to be exempt from the no straw rules for now. We had someone call the state on us for having styrofoam cups in the facility. I wish I was kidding. 

Thank you for your response! 

It has gotten so that whenever I post anything about being GF on any online forum, except for my Celiac forums, I get attacked.  We have also taken to getting a table for 2 because we prefer not to spend every dinner fending off snide comments about what I eat.  Believe me, if I did not have to eat GF, Dairy Free and Yeast free I would not choose to do so. We were super lucky on the Vista because our Maitre'd had a child with severe food allergies and several of the hostesses were fully up to speed.

While fad diets made more GF products available commercially, they also were a double edge sword, and led some people to think we actually chose this.  Getting diagnosed 12 years ago brought the answers to lifelong health problems and for me was the beginning of a life that I could enjoy.  I am sick of people telling me that I have to stay home.  I did that for many, many years because I would either vomit or get diarrhea all the time, not knowing it was Celiac disease.  You couldn't take me anywhere.  I have found that the cruise lines do a decent job with GF.  Princess goes above and beyond for us, but Carnival is usually OK unless we have a smarta$$ waiter who thinks he knows it all.

I am glad that you are concerned about your residents.  When my Mother was in a rehab facility after a hip replacement we ended up having to bring in all her meals.  They offered cereal for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch and dinner, bread and butter and cake.  I met with the staff, but the kitchen was not equipped to provide GF meals.  She also had Celiac disease, but was not diagnosed until after I was, which meant she was 80. 

The last time my husband, who also has it, was in the hospital he returned all his meals uneaten the first couple of days.  An enterprising chef came to his room to ask him what was wrong with the food.  They had a good discussion and the chef cooked him eggs every morning in a separate pan, made him a salad with chicken breast or tuna for lunch with oil and vinegar dressing and cooked him plain meat and vegetables for dinner.  I occasionally brought him a GF dessert or snack from home.    

He said he spent lots of time that week education the "supposed" medical professionals about Celiac disease and what is and is not GF.

Thankfully, holidays at home are easy since my oldest son, husband, daughter in law and both grandchildren are Celiacs.  Our youngest son has NCGS and gets just as sick as the rest of us if fed gluten.  

Edited by DebJ14