Nebulizers and the Ship Infirmary

Gypsywych

My husband has recently been diagnosed with COPD and he uses a nebulizer for his daily breathing treatment. 
He is a little worried about getting out to sea and having his machine quit working.
Does medical have a nebulizer onboard in cases like this? 

Thanks! 

why don't you bring a second the one I am going to tell you about it is as big as my hand 

Portable Mini Vaporizers Cool Mist Handheld Travel Steam Compressor Machine Humidifier for Adults & Kids

by Cotify    This is on amazon and yes it is a Nebulizer

47 minutes ago, pandvsmith said:

Probably by the time you pay to use their nebulizer, you could have bought a couple of portable nebulizers.

I did not think I would need mine, will not make that mistake again.  It was not bad and covered by insurance, happy they had it.  

I agree with bringing a second one (if you’re concerned about the first one malfunctioning). They are relatively inexpensive, usually $50 or less. It would be worth the cost for peace of mind. Also make sure he carries his rescue inhaler with him.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2019 at 9:40 AM, dbrucern said:

Have his MD write a script for a portable nebulizer, I have one and it works well.  I especially got it for our cruises, small, light and easy to pack in carry on 

How much was it?

On 10/18/2019 at 10:01 PM, jcool said:

why don't you bring a second the one I am going to tell you about it is as big as my hand 

Portable Mini Vaporizers Cool Mist Handheld Travel Steam Compressor Machine Humidifier for Adults & Kids

by Cotify    This is on amazon and yes it is a Nebulizer

I didn't look at the details on this machine, but if there is a heating element (steam) it might be prohibited like clothing irons and steamers or coffee pots.

13 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

I didn't look at the details on this machine, but if there is a heating element (steam) it might be prohibited like clothing irons and steamers or coffee pots.

10 hours ago, jcool said:
  On 10/18/2019 at 7:01 PM, jcool said:

by Cotify    This is on amazon and yes it is a Nebulizer

A nebulizer and vaporizer/humidifier are not the same. A Nebulizer turns respiratory medications into a vapor that you breathe in for about 5 minutes time. The other machines are to put humidity into the air. 

OP, if your Neb is in good condition, there is no reason to think you need to haul more than one. Maybe call and have an older machine swapped out prior to your trip. Bring more than enough of your RX medications. Yes, they do make travel size nebulizers. Modern machines have no necessity to be large and bulky.

As for the portable vaporizers, I have one of those as well. It sends out a vapor and you can add essential oils. I brought it last cruise when I had bronchitis.

8 hours ago, familyoutdoors said:

A nebulizer and vaporizer/humidifier are not the same. A Nebulizer turns respiratory medications into a vapor that you breathe in for about 5 minutes time. The other machines are to put humidity into the air. 

OP, if your Neb is in good condition, there is no reason to think you need to haul more than one. Maybe call and have an older machine swapped out prior to your trip. Bring more than enough of your RX medications. Yes, they do make travel size nebulizers. Modern machines have no necessity to be large and bulky.

As for the portable vaporizers, I have one of those as well. It sends out a vapor and you can add essential oils. I brought it last cruise when I had bronchitis.

My children used nebulizers when they were young so I'm aware of the difference and figured a nebulizer would be permitted.  I'm surprised the vaporizer was allowed - I've seen threads in the past implying they weren't with the heating element and there were other suggestions for adding humidity to the room.

So I think the problem here is that I am calling this little machine by the wrong name. It is actually a diffuser not a vaporizer or humidifier. There is no heat involved. I don't know how the machine makes water into water vapor. It also uses either USB or USB into wall plug. Sorry for the confusion. I got mine at my local GNC type store, but they did also have them on Amazon. I also have a larger one that plugs into the wall for more square footage. My son left it for me. Not sure how helpful they are, but when you have a cold, might make you feel better. (here is a similar item to give a better mental picture) https://www.amazon.com/VOYAGE-Aromatherapy-Waterless-Essential-Diffuser/dp/B077FJ8575

• Like 1

On 10/23/2019 at 2:09 PM, fireofficer5 said:

My two cents, if your machine is old, have your ins. provider send a new one, just tell them it broke.

In reality they don't last forever.

Thats how I got a new cpap machine.

He's on his 3rd machine since February of 2018, which is why he's a little concerned about it breaking.  He doesn't trust them now.
He's already ordered a smaller portable backup, so we're good to go.  😊

• Like 1