Ocean Cay~ The Final Countdown

BermudaBound2014

28 minutes ago, SteelCruisin said:

We are supposed to call on O.C. on Friday the 6th, If it happens we will be happy, if not we will be happy....especially if they still give 20% FCC as we plan on booking a Med cruise while on board.... whatever happens we will be happy!

Great way to look at it.  I mostly feel bad for families that took Thanksgiving break off to go to OC with their kids.  Most adults can adjust their work schedules but it's tough for the families.

• Like 1

Who knew that rebuilding an island from an industrial wasteland in the middle of Hurricane Alley where the majority of the damage to the environment and ecology was hidden before the agreement was made would actually lead to delays?

The fact that, on top of all that there is outright anger and vitriol spewed on here daily over Ocean Cay further being delayed by a few weeks less than 3 months after one of the most powerful hurricanes on record laid waste to mainland Bahamas...

I mean come on, people.  Grow a little perspective here.  Its round time I start ignoring some commenters here, and I think I'll do that now.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Nymich said:

Great way to look at it.  I mostly feel bad for families that took Thanksgiving break off to go to OC with their kids.  Most adults can adjust their work schedules but it's tough for the families.

Oh darn, they won't be able to get to OC.  I guess they'll just have to settle with slumming it like a normal cruising plebe on the other 3 or 4 ports of call during their sailings.

Seriously, if you booked a cruise just to visit a specific port of call, especially one that isn't even open yet, then any anger over the delay should be directed at yourself, and not the line.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beardface said:

Oh darn, they won't be able to get to OC.  I guess they'll just have to settle with slumming it like a normal cruising plebe on the other 3 or 4 ports of call during their sailings.

Seriously, if you booked a cruise just to visit a specific port of call, especially one that isn't even open yet, then any anger over the delay should be directed at yourself, and not the line.

I think there will be many families that want a nice safe beach and OC will certainly provide that when it opens.  Some people do pick specific ports as we are all not the same.  To each their own.  Obviously it means nothing to you which is cool.....for you.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Nymich said:

I think there will be many families that want a nice safe beach and OC will certainly provide that when it opens.  Some people do pick specific ports as we are all not the same.  To each their own.  Obviously it means nothing to you which is cool.....for you.

Nope I'm sticking by what I say.  There are so, so many factors that play into being able to port to a single place on a single date that you are absolutely foolish if you are choosing a cruise because of a specific POC.  This is setting yourself up for an entire vacation ruined if the weather turns south and the ship needs to defer to another location for the stay, or even stay at sea.  Its a mistake to plan this way, plain and simple.  Book for the ship, book for the general itinerary, sure, because that gives you a great idea on what you are going to experience, but under no circumstances are you ever guaranteed to see every POC on your sailing, so you should never, ever book with the expectation that you will.  Because if you do, and that POC gets canceled for a large variety of reasons, that's not the cruise line's fault. And when talking about OC in particular, the POC isn't even open yet, and we already knew there was a 2 year delay.  You're an idiot if you booked a cruise during this time just in order to go to OC.

• Like 2

Hello, 

we booked the 3-night cruise from the 21. of Nov :(. Our original plan was Miami-Nassau-Ocean Cay-Miami. Do you know, which will be the replacement port? I hope it won´t be a sea day. 

Did i understand correctly, that the compensation is 100 USD Value on the boat and 20 % discount on the amount you paid for the trip? Or do we get a 20% discount for the next trip we book at MSC?

Thank you!

Edited by nuky

2 minutes ago, nuky said:

Hello, 

we booked the 3-night cruise from the 21. of Nov :(. Our original plan was Miami-Nassau-Ocean Cay-Miami. Do you know, which will be the replacement port? I hope it won´t be a sea day. 

Did i understand correctly, that the compensation is 100 USD Value on the boat and 20 % discount on the amount you paid for the trip? Or do we get a 20% discount for the next trip we book at MSC?

Thank you!

You'll likely have a sea day instead. I'm on the 4 night right before you and I'm preparing for basically a cruise just going to Nassau with two days at sea.

8 minutes ago, Beardface said:

You're an idiot if you booked a cruise during this time just in order to go to OC.

With all due respect this is just as rigid and intolerant as the people that are on the other side bashing MSC.    Man...……. unreal.

Edited by Nymich
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Nymich said:

With all due respect this is just as rigid and intolerant as the people that are on the other side bashing MSC.    Man...……. unreal.

Yes, I know... so rigid and intolerant to expect cruiser to book with a certain expectation that they need to approach their vacation with a healthy dose of flexibility so that their entire trip isn't ruined by missing one port.

As you would say......................................................................... Unreal

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Beardface said:

Yes, I know... so rigid and intolerant to expect cruiser to book with a certain expectation that they need to approach their vacation with a healthy dose of flexibility so that their entire trip isn't ruined by missing one port.

As you would say......................................................................... Unreal

I am certainly not saying that the port of call is their only reason for booking......you are.  I am also not saying that their entire trip will be ruined...….you are.  People book for their own reasons not yours, or my opinion.

Edited by Nymich
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, nuky said:

Hello, 

Thank you!

If they offer you the 20% discount, it will be based on the cost of your current cruise only price (the price you paid less the port charges & fees). The nice thing I read was that the $100 was refundable (meaning, if you don't use it, you can walk away with $100 cash in your pocket). Not sure if that's what will be offered on the shortened cruise because that cruise was selling for $149 pp (balcony). If they gave you refundable obc that would be quite a lovely deal!

29 minutes ago, Beardface said:

I haven't read a single person say that their entire trip is ruined by missing Ocean Cay.

While MSC has handled compensation nicely (imo), I would hope we can all agree that MSC dropped the ball when it comes to communication. I don't believe that statement is bashing MSC.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nymich said:

anyone who go on cruise should not pick on specific port. My friend went to North Europe and ended up on Canary islands because of  weather . they only got port taxes back on Princess. 

2 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Nice to have an official communiqué from MSC on this subject. We are scheduled to call at OC on December 14. Even if we don't, I know we'll have a great cruise. And I'm 100% certain that this will finally silence the MSC naysayers who've promised us it won't open for years, if ever. NOT. :classic_tongue:

Please point me to anyplace where someone has said that Ocean Cay will never open? I'd like to understand that persons perspective better. 

1 hour ago, Beardface said:

Who knew that rebuilding an island from an industrial wasteland in the middle of Hurricane Alley where the majority of the damage to the environment and ecology was hidden before the agreement was made would actually lead to delays?

The fact that, on top of all that there is outright anger and vitriol spewed on here daily over Ocean Cay further being delayed by a few weeks less than 3 months after one of the most powerful hurricanes on record laid waste to mainland Bahamas...

I mean come on, people.  Grow a little perspective here.  Its round time I start ignoring some commenters here, and I think I'll do that now.

Please point me to the anger and vitriol spewed 'daily' over ocean cay being delayed? 

1 hour ago, Beardface said:

Well said, @Beardface. Alas, we do seem to live (sometimes) in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" world. Can you imagine MSC rushing the opening and maybe getting something wrong, like improperly graded sand causing people to fall, toxic waste not being properly removed causing drinking water to be poisoned, lack of sanitation equipment, etc etc.? There'd be calls for class action lawsuits. I for one think it's wise of MSC to hold off until everything's ready. Then again, I wonder how many of those who are raking MSC over the coals for the multiple delays have ever, in their professional lives, been delayed in delivering a product or service (even when due to factors outside their control) and then expected understanding from those waiting on them? What goes around, comes around. Certainly, there were many on CC who after Hurricane Dorian said they'd be understanding if the hurricane damage forced a delay to the opening of Ocean Cay. I wonder where they are?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GOLDENBONNY said:

anyone who go on cruise should not pick on specific port. My friend went to North Europe and ended up on Canary islands because of  weather . they only got port taxes back on Princess. 

Fair advice as I have been on a couple of cruises and missed a couple of ports.  That being said, people will continue to book for what is important to them.

9 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Well said, @Beardface. Alas, we do seem to live (sometimes) in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" world. Can you imagine MSC rushing the opening and maybe getting something wrong, like improperly graded sand causing people to fall, toxic waste not being properly removed causing drinking water to be poisoned, lack of sanitation equipment, etc etc.? There'd be calls for class action lawsuits. I for one think it's wise of MSC to hold off until everything's ready. Then again, I wonder how many of those who are raking MSC over the coals for the multiple delays have ever, in their professional lives, been delayed in delivering a product or service (even when due to factors outside their control) and then expected understanding from those waiting on them? What goes around, comes around. Certainly, there were many on CC who after Hurricane Dorian said they'd be understanding if the hurricane damage forced a delay to the opening of Ocean Cay. I wonder where they are?

You continue to miss the premise of the discussion. I don't think people are 'mad' that MSC delayed opening and I personally haven't read of 'people' raking MSC over the coals either. Again, please supply reference for all these dramatic claims. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014

2 hours ago, Beardface said:

Nope I'm sticking by what I say.  There are so, so many factors that play into being able to port to a single place on a single date that you are absolutely foolish if you are choosing a cruise because of a specific POC.  This is setting yourself up for an entire vacation ruined if the weather turns south and the ship needs to defer to another location for the stay, or even stay at sea.  Its a mistake to plan this way, plain and simple.  Book for the ship, book for the general itinerary, sure, because that gives you a great idea on what you are going to experience, but under no circumstances are you ever guaranteed to see every POC on your sailing, so you should never, ever book with the expectation that you will.  Because if you do, and that POC gets canceled for a large variety of reasons, that's not the cruise line's fault. And when talking about OC in particular, the POC isn't even open yet, and we already knew there was a 2 year delay.  You're an idiot if you booked a cruise during this time just in order to go to OC.

I certainly don't consider myself foolish. I chose a specific cruise because I wanted to call at Athens, and another because I wanted to go to Rome. 

They just so happened to get me there in a style I like. Yes I would have been disappointed had they not happened, but such is life. 

Edited by stoneman56
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Nice to have an official communiqué from MSC on this subject. We are scheduled to call at OC on December 14. Even if we don't, I know we'll have a great cruise. And I'm 100% certain that this will finally silence the MSC naysayers who've promised us it won't open for years, if ever. NOT. :classic_tongue:

We're on the Divina, with a scheduled port call at Ocean Cay on Dec16. I want to believe MSC, but I've been led down the path SO many times by several cruise lines... who think they can buy me off with $100 of OBC (if that) after screwing up a vacation that cost thousands. Ocean Cay is THE stop on this cruise for Claudia... if they blow this, they've probably lost us for good.

For others, it wouldn't hurt if MSC would be forthcoming, and come up with a more satisfactory solution than another sea day or (God forbid) a stop in Nassau... it might at least be palatable.  

4 minutes ago, stoneman56 said:

I certainly don't consider myself foolish. I chose a specific cruise because I wanted to call at Athens, and another because I wanted to go to Rome. 

They just so happened to get me there in a style I like. Yes I would have been disappointed had they not happened, but such is life. 

And that's fine.  What I'm saying is that don't get yourself into a position on a cruise where you absolutely must hit a certain port or the trip is going to be ruined.  I see this kind of reaction often on these boards, when someone had to miss a POC for whatever reason, and suddenly the entire cruise was a disaster, and we have a multi-page thread going on and on about it.  If you're flexible and you accept the risk that you might not be able to go, and that its ok if that possibility is realized, well then that's fine.  Just never, ever set yourself up for a 'make or break' POC on any cruise, because the second you do that, you're only setting yourself up for failure.

I hope that better explains my view

• Like 3