Ocean Cay~ The Final Countdown

BermudaBound2014

I find it very strange that MSC charges for umbrellas at all let alone in the YC area.  On Coco Cay RCCL has literally hundreds of umbrellas set up around the island along with lots of natural shade from the existing palms.   It seems that MSC is cheaping out on the small things after spending several hundred million to build the island.  And highly annoying to its YC passengers that when there is no shade you have to rent an umbrella.

DPR

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, mafig said:

How much are the YC and non-YC cabanas?

$449 for YC if pre-booked, not sure how much if you book on the island.

I've seen two prices posted for non-yc. $349 and $379.  I'm not sure if those prices are pre-booking vs post booking or an error.

The umbrella's are $10 pre booked and $12 on the island.

Of course, all subject to change at this point.

39 minutes ago, mafig said:

How much are the YC and non-YC cabanas?

For my upcoming cruise in April 2020

$249 - OCEAN CAY BEACH CABANA (max. 6 pax) - ALL DAY RENTAL

$349 - DELUXE OCEAN CAY BEACH CABANA (max 6 pax) - ALL DAY RENTAL

$399 - OCEAN VIEW YACHT CLUB CABANA (max 6 pax) - ALL DAY RENTAL (YC GUESTS EXCLUSIVE)

$449 - BEACHFRONT YACHT CLUB CABANA (max 6 pax) - ALL DAY RENTAL (YC GUESTS EXCLUSIVE)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I haven't been on Holland America in several years, but I remember the biggest problem they had with their cabanas........squatters!

People would get to their cabanas and find there were people already camped out in them.  Their cabanas are bigger, and come with noodles and mats, and they found they had to have one person stay in them or their beach toys would walk.

Also, they have a shower (that would be a nice touch, MSC) in the cabana and people would just walk up and rinse off.

Let's see how this plays out on MSC.

On 12/6/2019 at 9:50 AM, js said:

Hi.

Where are the pictures of the YC area?

Thank you.

More of a general statement of what has been shared so far like picture of area from room on Divinia, YC menu on beach, and Lady Vol other info.

Think it looks pretty good and thanks all for the info.

Unfortunately I see us visiting those shops.

Did I see pringles at one of them?  Maybe they are selling the YC pringles there now, for your convenience, of course.

Love seeing Divinia still has the orange prison towels.

• Haha 1

On 12/6/2019 at 8:53 AM, cruisingator2 said:

I saw Ken’s video on FB. Love it. He’s one happy guy that his company has finally delivered the goods. The island looks great. Once the island has time to allow the fauna to reach its potential, it will really be nice. It’s actually nice to see a private island not turned into an amusement park.

Definitely.  The world does not need another amusement park.  We had a chat with Ken about the coral research they're going to be doing there.  He's very excited about it.

10 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Can you possibly wait to book until we start to get some informative reviews and video? I would think within the next week or so a lot of these questions can be answered. Video will tell a lot more than the stills coming in and people visiting this week may need to get home before posting detailed video. Right now, I would agree that the cabanas offer little more than shade, but on OC shade is a premium right now. Some of the pics I"ve seen of the YC cabana's indicate that there is a rock ledge (not a straight beach walk) to the sea. Not sure if that matters to you. 

This pic was labeled as the YC beach and comes from a CC member I trust for accuracy. You can see the cabana's (although this looks close to the ship to be YC area, the island is small so it's possible):

image.png.cdffe42b1b91e874d4f76f963dd97bec.png

I don't know if this is my photo or not, but it is indeed the YC beach.  It's not close to the ship, thus the shuttle provided.  I thought the YC area was lovely.  They definitely need to deal with the bathroom situation (there's only one in the clubhouse), but the area is great and everyone seemed to be enjoying it.  The clubhouse is wonderful.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dexddd said:

Think it looks pretty good and thanks all for the info.

Unfortunately I see us visiting those shops.

Did I see pringles at one of them?  Maybe they are selling the YC pringles there now, for your convenience, of course.

Love seeing Divinia still has the orange prison towels.

I laughed when I saw the Pringles in the shop when you can get all you want for free in your mini bar in YC.  But probably not in the rest of the ship.

For those that have been to OC to going prior to February, can you please take pictures or let me know what the difference is between the Ocean View cabanas and the Beach cabanas.

I have rented the more expensive option, Beach Front, but if they all look the same in the same location, I may change my preference if all in the same spot. 

Thank you. 

On 12/7/2019 at 7:45 AM, greykitty said:

Could someone clarify for me - non-YC cruisers cannot book the YC cabanas, but YC cruisers could book either YC cabanas or the 'cheap' non-YC cabanas?  That doesn't seem fair to me from the non-YC cruiser POV.  I bet I misread.

Seems quite a difference in price. Is it just location or is there a difference in the actual cabana between the regular area & yacht club ones ?

Also, does anyone know how many cabanas there are in each area ?

We went ahead & booked one for next September because an email went out to book internet, excursions, cabanas, etc.

So I thought a lot of people might go ahead & book them.

You can cancel up to one week before so some of them might just be held up by people that are not sure.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2019 at 12:48 PM, dexddd said:

More of a general statement of what has been shared so far like picture of area from room on Divinia, YC menu on beach, and Lady Vol other info.

I've posted pictures from the entire walkway, along the shops and beaches to the Yacht Club beach; then the beach, cabanas, restaurant and bar in another thread.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2715418-ocean-cay-meraviglia-walk-to-yc-beach-photos/?tab=comments#comment-58916620

The picture (second image below) of the YC beach is from up one the rocks next to the restaurant, over the beach with the Meraviglia in the background.  It understates the size and depth of the beach (which is really nice and more than accommodating for everyone on our visit and the Meraviglia YC is large)), and gives the impression that it is really close to the ship (it is not, the ship is SO BIG it simply is a play on one's distance estimation).

One of the last posts gives an image of the Yacht Club TWO CABANA CATEGORIES that are based on TWO SEPARATE LOCATIONS: the "beach cabanas" are on the YC beach, not in a straight line but spread out by depth from walkway to ocean, and, the "ocean view cabanas" which are on the OTHER SIDE OF THE YC RESTAURANT over the rocks (no access to ocean, no beach, etc.)

Here's another shot of that (first image).

Cabana Types.JPG

IMG_2069.JPG

• Like 2

Hey guys. Were in Ocho now staying in YC. I plan on doing pictures and videos. Let me know and tag this post things you wish me to scope out or gather intel on!! We plan in crashing on the YC beach, the prices for excursions for us aren’t worth the investment when you have already paid for YC and have that wonderful beach to yourself. 

More to follow Friday!!

Formula280SS:  Can you confirm that second photo is taken from the ocean view cabana location?  Do you recall if those ocean view cabanas are closer to the water (albeit on a raised, rocky area)  than the beach front ones which actually seem pretty far back?

i get that there is no direct beach access but to me the upclose water view is more important. I’ll spend more time  gazing and reading than swimming ... 

1 hour ago, BoundForSea said:

Hey guys. Were in Ocho now staying in YC. I plan on doing pictures and videos. Let me know and tag this post things you wish me to scope out or gather intel on!! We plan in crashing on the YC beach, the prices for excursions for us aren’t worth the investment when you have already paid for YC and have that wonderful beach to yourself. 

More to follow Friday!!

Thank you so much!  How kind!

Could you please take pictures and/or video of the YC beach front cabanas and their corresponding numbers related

to their location?  For instance, what may be be the best YC cabana to request? Maybe one at each end where there is only

one cabana next to you, not on each side? Or, perhaps, one is closer to the water and easier to walk to/from water/cabana, etc.  That would be lovely.  Is the YC restaurant on the island open for dinner? If not, what time does it close and is there a menu we can see?

How do we let them know on the island we need a transport to/from the ship/YC area? I would love to walk there but my mom will want a ride. Do we let the concierge know when we board the ship?

Thank you so much!  Can't wait to see your pictures and videos!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TrinaLC said:

Formula280SS:  Can you confirm that second photo is taken from the ocean view cabana location?  Do you recall if those ocean view cabanas are closer to the water (albeit on a raised, rocky area)  than the beach front ones which actually seem pretty far back?

i get that there is no direct beach access but to me the upclose water view is more important. I’ll spend more time  gazing and reading than swimming ... 

The second photo is taken from the Yacht Club clubhouse.  The OV cabanas are located as indicated on the map.

1 hour ago, js said:

Thank you so much!  How kind!

Could you please take pictures and/or video of the YC beach front cabanas and their corresponding numbers related

to their location?  For instance, what may be be the best YC cabana to request? Maybe one at each end where there is only

one cabana next to you, not on each side? Or, perhaps, one is closer to the water and easier to walk to/from water/cabana, etc.  That would be lovely.  Is the YC restaurant on the island open for dinner? If not, what time does it close and is there a menu we can see?

How do we let them know on the island we need a transport to/from the ship/YC area? I would love to walk there but my mom will want a ride. Do we let the concierge know when we board the ship?

Thank you so much!  Can't wait to see your pictures and videos!

The butlers organize transport to the YC beach in the Top Sail Lounge.  They only take off as many people as will fit in the extended golf cart at a time.  Just show up in Top Sail and let the butlers know you're ready to go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

The butlers organize transport to the YC beach in the Top Sail Lounge.  They only take off as many people as will fit in the extended golf cart at a time.  Just show up in Top Sail and let the butlers know you're ready to go.

Thank you!!

On 12/7/2019 at 9:17 AM, Dred pilot Roberts said:

I find it very strange that MSC charges for umbrellas at all let alone in the YC area.  On Coco Cay RCCL has literally hundreds of umbrellas set up around the island along with lots of natural shade from the existing palms.   It seems that MSC is cheaping out on the small things after spending several hundred million to build the island.  And highly annoying to its YC passengers that when there is no shade you have to rent an umbrella.

DPR

We are going on our first MSC cruise in March and it is funny, we were advised on a post that MSC nickel and dimes less than other lines, but so far there is a charge for umbrellas, a charge for the steam room, I can only imagine what else will come up that is normally complimentary on other lines......

On 12/7/2019 at 12:16 PM, skiierx131 said:

For my upcoming cruise in April 2020

$249 - OCEAN CAY BEACH CABANA (max. 6 pax) - ALL DAY RENTAL

$349 - DELUXE OCEAN CAY BEACH CABANA (max 6 pax) - ALL DAY RENTAL

$399 - OCEAN VIEW YACHT CLUB CABANA (max 6 pax) - ALL DAY RENTAL (YC GUESTS EXCLUSIVE)

$449 - BEACHFRONT YACHT CLUB CABANA (max 6 pax) - ALL DAY RENTAL (YC GUESTS EXCLUSIVE)

Does anyone know which of the beaches have non-YC cabanas? Can we designate which area we'd like one?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pepper said:

We are going on our first MSC cruise in March and it is funny, we were advised on a post that MSC nickel and dimes less than other lines, but so far there is a charge for umbrellas, a charge for the steam room, I can only imagine what else will come up that is normally complimentary on other lines......

All those things are charged on princess also.  Princess Cays - no umbrellas unless you rent, same for clamshells, cabanas, etc 

While older Princess ships have some free steam abd sauna, they all also have charged steam abd sauna area.  And their newer ships only have for fee steam and sauna.. 

IME - MSC nickel and dimes much less than other lines we've sailed (Princess, Celebrity, Cunard, RCI and Carnival), and with the different Experiences, you can choose what you want included and are willing to pay for to have included, instead of everything being extra. 

YMMV

8 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Good information and I appreciate learning it.  

Given that this port call is on the last night of my cruise, I am trying to justify why I should have my final YC dinner ashore in the YC Restaurant rather than on board the Meraviglia.  Can the menu, service, and experience be as good on Ocean Car---which is what I expect aboard the ship---as on the ship?