Bequia and Mustique

Curranv1

Hi there -we’re going Caribbean with P & O in January. Can anyone advise on the trips from St Vincent to Bequia or Mustique please? I’ve seen that the Bequia trip spends time at sea for snorkelling which is probably brilliant but not our thing. Also that the Mustique trip seems to drop passengers at Britannia bay then need a taxi to explore? Seems to be downsides to both. I’ve seen a couple of reviews that say the crossing was quite rough; not sure if this is regular occurrence or unusual? I’d appreciate any advice especially from those who have done these trips. Thanks in advance-Val curran 

We have sailed the area in a sailing boat.  Bequia is lovely, just a small island, nice beaches.  Mustique is all private huge houses.  We didn't find much of interest.

The seas in that area can be choppy as the same winds blow most of the year.  Great for sailing, but not so great for a crossing maybe

Hi Val

Welcome to the forum

Would it help if you look at the Roll Call for your cruise?  You’ll probably find people on the same cruise as you asking, and answering, the same questions.

We’re docked in St Vincent & taking the trip to Bequia but I have read the warnings about choppy seas.  Stugeron is my anti-emetic of choice.  I’ll be taking some

For us, the charm of Bequia was seeing the island by land. It was a port of call for us. We did one of the shared tours from the dock there.  We chose a two hour one. The island is tiny and really pretty. We then strolled around the "main" town (really only one street) and walked along the water/beach front. It was a lovely day for us, one of our favourites,  but I don't think we would have enjoyed only sailing there and back as we would have missed out the "best for us" bits.

Should you decide to stay on St Vincent instead, these might help:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2612237-st-vincent/

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2596891-st-vincent-and-gs-must-sees/

And plenty more info on CC, whatsinport, cruisemapper, Tripadvisor etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Many thanks for replies -

We went to St Vincent around Xmas last year. We liked it: walked to Botanic Gardens -really interesting; walked round vibrant market & had a beer chatting to locals then went to bar in Cobblestone Hotel. That’s really authentic & drinks were cheaper than the market! Hotel rooms looked nice and it has a sun terrace but was too hot (for us) to sit out. There were guides all along main drag from Cruise terminal to help with directions & advice -that was very useful. 

So after much dilemma I’ve booked Mustique excursion. It includes a restaurant meal and doesn’t stop for snorkelling. Think we might get soaked and I’ll stock up on sea sickness pills! 

Once again thanks for tips

val 

• 4 years later...