Strangest Cruise Critic Miracle get-together- No shows!

Linsuesue

I just got off the Carnival Miracle cruise to Mexico- October 12th-19th. I received an invitation for a cruise critic get together for our 2nd day at sea. The invitation had my room number but was addressed to Pamela Garrett.  Since that is not me, I decided to drop by the event to let them know that Pamela’s invitation must have been sent to the wrong room, in case they wanted to try to contact her to come. The get together was scheduled for 11:30 at the Red Frog Pub. When I got down there at 11:20, there was another couple waiting.  They too had received an invitation for their room addressed to a person that was not either of them. None of us had signed up for a roll call, and we were puzzled how we got invitations. Two Carnival people from the entertainment staff were assigned to the get together. They told us 3 that they were told there would be 80 people! Tea, water, lemonade, and pastries were set up in the Red Frog Pub, on 2 big tables. Nobody showed up, except us 3!  We sat and visited with the Carnival people for an hour, and we had a great chat. It was so strange that there was such a big miscommunication somewhere!

2 hours ago, Linsuesue said:

We were in a Vista View so they could have been upgraded to a Grand suite, but out of 80 people expected, no one shows. Weird!

maybe the people listed on the invitation were from the manifest on the cruise after yours.

Somebody sure dropped the ball.

• Like 2

We were on the Splendor and we were the only 2 that showed up for the CC get together. The hotel director & the cruise director sat with us for the hour and we had a nice time chatting with them about their lives. 

We were very embarrassed and made it known how much WE appreciated their time. 

I have signed us up for our upcoming Miracle cruise BUT really worried this will happen again. I understand things happen and a few may not show but 30+ people?!?!?!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RjayB said:

Do they have a roll-call thread?  Maybe try posting there to see if there was some huge communication blunder?  Very strange story!

That is a great idea, but when I went to check the roll calls, it is not listed anymore. I guess once the ship sails, the roll call drops off the calendar.  

3 minutes ago, Linsuesue said:

That is a great idea, but when I went to check the roll calls, it is not listed anymore. I guess once the ship sails, the roll call drops off the calendar.  

It's still there (on the second page of Miracle roll calls).  

Now, if you were looking under the "Find Your Roll Call" link - that link is bad and not all roll calls show up there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shmoo here said:

It's still there (on the second page of Miracle roll calls).  

Now, if you were looking under the "Find Your Roll Call" link - that link is bad and not all roll calls show up there.

Thanks Shmoo. I did not realize there was a difference between the 2 ways to check for roll calls.  I posted a note on the October 19th Miracle roll call, but nobody has posted on that for days. Probably most people on the cruise are having too much fun to check Cruise Critic!😀🍹🛳

6 hours ago, Linsuesue said:

Thanks Shmoo. I did not realize there was a difference between the 2 ways to check for roll calls.  I posted a note on the October 19th Miracle roll call, but nobody has posted on that for days. Probably most people on the cruise are having too much fun to check Cruise Critic!😀🍹🛳

If you sign up you should show up.  Pretty sad..... 

• Like 1

Last cruise where we attended the Meet & Mingle, we did not get an invitation in our room even thought we were signed up for the event.  I did see it listed in the Fun Times so my beau & I attended, and we were the only ones there.  We had the CD & entertainment director to ourselves!    Why sign up for an event and then make no effort to show?  I doubt Carnival is contractually obligated to send invites or list in Fun Times but it really reflects poorly when you need 25 people to sign up and then no one shows up.  Carnival should go back to the "Pay for cocktails" party where the group of guests pay in advance for all you can drink cocktails....people show up when they have to pay for something in advance!

• Like 2

DW and I sailed on the Sunshine last November and there were over 40 people signed up for M&M.  Including us, only 5 people showed up.  They still brought pastries and non-alcoholic drinks.  No prizes.  Thought we'd at least snag one of those. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ray98 said:

Using these experiences I expect this option will soon be a thing of the past.  When that happens you will have a flood of people who never sail on Carnival flood the board claiming a 'cut back'.

You have hit the nail on the head. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Linsuesue said:

I am thinking you are right, because the cruise after ours was to Hawaii. 80 cruise critic members and spouses seems like a pretty high amount for a regular 7 day cruise. 

We have 70 signed up for ours in a 7day in January already (only 4 of those are with me 😂). 

• Haha 1

We were on the 9/29 Miracle for the 13 night Panama Canal cruise and had registered for the meet and greet. Did not get an invite onboard but luckily Chloe, the CD, mentioned it on her show. We had 80 people registered and over 50 showed up. It was busy and fun. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Several above posters have said "Why bother signing up for them if you aren't going to attend?"  From experience, I can answer that for us.  

When we first book a cruise, we sign up for the gatherings.  Over the course of several months of watching the Roll Call, we discover that the group wants to do a pub crawl on a Sunday morning, a cabin crawl with gifts for each attendee at each cabin, a slot tournament, and not knowing when the meeting will take place, you may have something else you are doing at the time they pick.  We are not in to those things so we just drop out.

Once you sign up, there is no place to remove your name.  I strongly believe that is the reason that the attendance is so low.

• Like 2

On 10/19/2019 at 2:16 PM, Linsuesue said:

I just got off the Carnival Miracle cruise to Mexico- October 12th-19th. 

Not on your topic,  but I've been trying to find someone from that sailing that might have their funtimes and would be willing to post them? 

Well, let's try this again. Seems my previous post was removed for what reason I don't know.

On another social media site, we have a group for our upcoming cruise and we are scheduling a meet/greet. Someone mentioned the CC roll call and we had members ask what that was as they never heard of CC. And, likewise, some folks have said they spend most of their time here and not on the other site.

We suggested having a combined event (why not) to maximize turnout. But, we did ask that if folks were unsure about attending to not sign up, as Carnival does go out of their way to provide a venue and refreshments.

High number of sign-ups and subsequent low turnout could eventually lead to them doing away with this altogether.

• Like 1