Chile unrest. State of Emergency, Quest sailing Nov 19.

kimanjo

53 minutes ago, kimanjo said:

How concerned should we be??

Respectfully, I have absolutely no idea how you expect anonymous people to answer your question. Perhaps you would be better guided by your Government Issued Travel Advisories who likely understand the issues, not social media.

1 hour ago, Cantara24 said:

Respectfully, I have absolutely no idea how you expect anonymous people to answer your question. Perhaps you would be better guided by your Government Issued Travel Advisories who likely understand the issues, not social media.

I suppose I should have been more specific.  Concerned about Seabourn changing or modifying itineraries, cancellations, etc, and such. I've never been on a cruise that has had any itinerary modification, of any sort. Do they play it by ear? Have back-up ports in mind?   Not a safety concern.   

Edited by kimanjo

Technically the port Seabourn is using is San Antonio, about 90 miles give or take from Santiago.  As of what I saw earlier today, San Antonio - at least not yet - has been affected, the following from CNBC:

"The unrest means that, in addition to Santiago, a state of emergency will now be imposed on the cities of Antofagasta, Chillan, Punta Arenas, Talca, Temuco, Valdivia and Valparaiso."  

Of course that does not mean things will not change quickly and escalate to other cities.  And I did hear air travel was affected this past Saturday.  

As we have plans to be in Santiago for several days we are more than a little concerned and hope they get things under control quickly, but are trying to figure out alternatives, or which right now do not appear to be many.  

Following the news today, flights were cancelled at the airport in Santiago. I have been following this on Twitter and the reports are in Spanish or French. We are sailing in December and I am certainly keeping watch. There is unrest in Ponte Montt as well.

There is a 24 hour news station out of Santiago https://wwitv.com/tv_channels/7098.htm that provides current status of demonstrations.  While this is a Spanish language broadcast I was able to get the gist of what is going on.  A curfew has been in place since 8 PM and based on what I understand things are quiet in the city.  The Delta flight that we will be taking on January 12 after our Antarctica cruise on the Quest departed Santiago for Atlanta as scheduled.  

njhh - are you sailing on Dec. 19 out of Buenos Aires?  We were just up in Harrisburg (Linglestown) for a family party.

We live in Salem, SC.

Edited by offtoalaska
corrected hyperlink

• 2 weeks later...

Still watching.... I booked the transfer from San Antonio to Santiago ( our hotel) thru Seabourn.  We usually use public transport, but in this case I thought it better to let SB handle the transport in case the public transport is shutdown.

We dock on the 28th of November, and spend plan to spend one night in Santiago, fly home 29th.  We could change this to fly home on the 28th instead if things are still problematic.  I suppose that's about all we need to think about right now? 

Port(s) and changes along the way from Lima... I looked at https://www.cruisetimetables.com/#destports for other Chile alternative ports.  Not much else.

So, will just watch, and plan to be flexible.

Kimanjo, we are on the same cruise and watching carefully.  Thank you for monitoring this.  We are using the SB transfer back to Santiago airport as well and flying out that night.  Will keep watching your updates.

Thank you!

Thread on Flyertalk.

You can go to the last page of this thread to read a report from someone who just returned from Santiago.  It looks like the protesting concentrated in a certain area. Some people will find it alarming, others not so much.   

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni-pr/1992149-what-heck-going-violence-chile.html

We have not changed our plans.  We arrive in port on the 28th, and stay overnight, then fly home on the 29th.    Unless it gets really, really bad, we're sticking to our plan, or if we hear something from SB.  Our TA has been periodically checking with SB, and nothing has changed.

Edited by kimanjo