Cafe Promenade Pizza

Has anyone had Sorrento's on Anthem recently? Going to be on in a few weeks. Normally I avoid cruise ship pizza, and this is coming from someone who grew up on Ellio's (which I would still eat, albeit in much smaller quantities). 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BillOh said:

imageproxy.jpg.8eab2325ac07445a1e5c42d2af696c09.jpg

This is the sign they have been putting up talking about their new pizza. I was able to identify the Pepperoni company 🙂 

Thanks, Bill! This sign is a good start. I'm actually from Columbus, so maybe I can find the pepperoni :-) The cafe promenade was decorated with empty cans of "Full-Red" pizza sauce...could that be the pizza sauce they use? I'm going to keep trying to find out the brands for each item! We've been on two other Royal cruises, and the pizza was just okay. I don't know why it was so good on this cruise. Everyone seemed to love it.

8 hours ago, BND said:

Duh. I've had pizza all over the USA.  You sound offended.  We love and prefer NYC pizza as do a lot of people.  I never said there wasn't other good pizza.  There's just something about it.  But, to say Sorrento's RCI) is good, lol.  It is very improved, but there was a lot of room for improvement.  My DH's family has taken us to little hole's in the wall in the Bronx that you can't match.  DH does lovemy homemade (from scratch) though.   

Philly and South Jersey have excellent  pizzas.  

7 hours ago, BillOh said:

imageproxy.jpg.8eab2325ac07445a1e5c42d2af696c09.jpg

This is the sign they have been putting up talking about their new pizza. I was able to identify the Pepperoni company 🙂 

Works for me.

8 hours ago, tomservo said:

Has anyone had Sorrento's on Anthem recently? Going to be on in a few weeks. Normally I avoid cruise ship pizza, and this is coming from someone who grew up on Ellio's (which I would still eat, albeit in much smaller quantities). 

LOL, Ellios, is it still around?  I thought it was good when I was young.😋

I recently had Chicago style deep dish pizza, oh man, that crispy crust was amazing. This doesn't add much to the conversation and I know that Sorrento's isn't this style but it raised my memory. 😉 

I've been on Liberty and Independence as recent as 2017 and the pizza was only a slight step above Chef Boyardee. I was not a fan but it was fine late at night as a snack I suppose after pounding some drinks. I hope it's much improved when I go on Oasis next September.

12 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Just because somewhere is known for something, all of a sudden it's the only place that counts. 🤣🤣🤣

And also, just because a certain place (city/state) is known for a certain food group, that doesn't mean that EVERY place that sells that certain food group is going to be good.  I've had many a bad pizza slice when I worked in NYC. Stay away from the $0.99 pizza slice shops.

Once cruise I was on, a lady from Wisconsin found it incredulous that I didn't like bagels. She kept telling her family & friends "He's from New York and doesn't like bagels". As if it was a requirement that I need to adhere to or I'd be asked to leave the state....LOL

Edited by HBE4
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Is that the place that imports water from New York to make the dough?

Cause, you know, it's all about the bread.....according to my foodie purist friends.

Sometimes it's the ingredients, but often it's the technique. I doubt NYC water makes any significant difference. Here's Dan from ATK testing that theory in NYC bagels

11 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Stay away from the $0.99 pizza slice shops.

Hey don't knock those guys, they represent solid value! 😁 I've had a few slices from the, years ago, I thought they were actually not bad - better than cruise ship pizza. Haven't had any in the last decade though.

1 hour ago, bradski said:

Does anyone know how the pizza is on the Navigator?   It seems that it is different at the same place on different ships?

I hesitate to say "excellent", but it is very, very good, worlds better than years ago.

On 10/21/2019 at 7:56 AM, BND said:

Duh. I've had pizza all over the USA.  You sound offended.  We love and prefer NYC pizza as do a lot of people.  I never said there wasn't other good pizza.  There's just something about it.  But, to say Sorrento's RCI) is good, lol.  It is very improved, but there was a lot of room for improvement.  My DH's family has taken us to little hole's in the wall in the Bronx that you can't match.  DH does lovemy homemade (from scratch) though.   

My SIL spent a chunk of money to fly to NYC and take a course on Staten Island to learn to make pizza from scratch. He even learn to twirl it, but was taught not to because it makes the center of the pizza too thin. 

He also had a pizza oven shipped home to Florida along with wood for it. 

His pizza is outstanding. 

My DD and daughters enjoyed his week, too, seeing shows and shopping. 

All of this so he could make pizza in the back yard. 

Bucket lists are great!

And his pizza is New York pizza!!!

• Like 1

On 10/21/2019 at 8:33 AM, John&LaLa said:

And that's the source of my objection

Wings

Lobster

Pizza

Crab cakes

Etc.

Just because somewhere is known for something, all of a sudden it's the only place that counts. 🤣🤣🤣

I will never order Maryland style crab cakes. The rest of the world can have them. 

I like to taste crab when I eat it, not Old Bay Seasoning. 

Almost every time anywhere I see crab cakes in the menu, they’re Maryland style. 

2 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

I will never order Maryland style crab cakes. The rest of the world can have them. 

I like to taste crab when I eat it, not Old Bay Seasoning. 

Almost every time anywhere I see crab cakes in the menu, they’re Maryland style. 

Laura's favorite crab cakes are from Surfrider in Virginia Beach 

2 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Laura's favorite crab cakes are from Surfrider in Virginia Beach 

That’s the area where we stop for the night on the way to the Bridge Tunnel and Maine 

next time I’ll check out the crab cakes. 

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 5:56 PM, jbethel11 said:

I am guessing you do not like Sorento's Pizza? Or you love DiGiorno? 

Sorrentos is at the same level as DiGiorno's is what I was gettn at.    Its OK to soak up the booze after all the cocktailing .. but it ain't pizza!

I found Urban Pie frozen pizza on vacation in the mountains of NC. Now I look for them wherever we travel. 

Their 8 cheese and pesto and 4 cheese pizzas are better to me than most pizza restaurants. 

They’re out of Wisconsin and don’t yet distribute in Florida that I can find. 

I wish I could find a cruise ship that would offer from frozen if it was Urban Pie.