Silver Moon experience

shdo

Thanks for everyone's helpful info. I'm sure after snorkeling and swimming the lunch will be great. Always hungry after being in the water!

Actually, the date we will be on Silver Moon I is April 17th, not the 13th. The 13th is the day we embark on NCL Pearl. Anyone else sailing the Pearl this week? Would be great if anyone else from the ship would also be interested in Silver Moon.

I faxed back our confirmation with credit card, so we are set to sail! Can't wait to get there. This will be our first time in Barbados.

Happy Sailing!!:)

NCL Westward 1995

Commodore 1996

Holland America 1997

Carnival Celebration 1998

Carnival Paradise 2000

Carnival Inspiration 2001

Rhapsody of the Seas 2002

Carnival Elation 2003

Rhapsody of the Seas 2004

Voyager of the Seas 2005

NCL Jewel 2006

NCL Pearl 4/2007

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I sailed on Silvermoon II in October after reading all of the rave reviews here on cruise critic. Since our ship didn't arrive until midday our only option was to sail on the evening dinner cruise. Reservations were easy via their website and email. They were prompt and thorough with reservations. The dinner trip includes 2 stops; one to snorkel with the turtle (yes, one turtle) and another stop for dinner.

First of all the weather that day was mostly rain. We waited for 30 minutes after the designated time at the terminal before the bus provided by Ocean Adventures arrived. Then it was a short ride to their facility. There, we waited another 30 minutes while they prepared the boat for us (and we were their only customers that day). Once on board the crew - and I am terribly embarrassed to admit that I have forgotten their names - were friendly, funny, and competent. The boat was beautiful and plastic flaps were dropped as needed to keep us dry during rain showers. Drinks of all types were offered throughout the trip from beginning to end. Some of us thought that food would also be available from the get go - that was not the case. While some felt sea-sick and some were just hungry and asked for food, we were told that it would be available later. Bring your own snacks if you think you might get hungry.

When we arrived to the turtle location (about 50 ft off shore) it was almost sunset. A crew member swam in the water with some sort of bait and a large turtle was there immediately. It was an incredible experience to swim near this giant turtle. We were given about 20 minutes there. Just before we left the area a second small turtle showed up. We were told that because of earlier turtle excursions that most of the turtles probably weren't hungry. Unfortunately none of my underwater pictures turned out - too dark?

We stopped near shore about halfway back to the dock. The crew prepared quite a spread of food: Flying fish, potatos, salads, good wine, etc. The food was very good (and I am a very picky eater.) We ate under a brilliant lightning storm and could hear the whistling frogs on shore.

While the weather probably affected our silvermoon experience, it was definitely worth the price, but not the highlight of our trip, and not up to the hype generated on the CC boards. I might do it again, but I would not book the evening trip. Cudos to the Ocean Adventures folks...good folks, good food, nice boat!

Archived