SYMPHONY OF THE SEAS QUESTIONS!

We are taking a family cruise in November with 6 adults and 7 children (ages 8, 9, 11, 11, 14, 14, 17) and we have not cruised on Symphony of the Seas before.  Could anyone help me with answers specifically for this ship?

How many outlets are there in the cabin?  Are there any USB ports?

What are the adults typically wearing to dinner in the main dining room on a normal night and also on formal night?

What shows would you recommend?

Did your child(ren) enjoy the kids activities?  

Is there anything else you would recommend that we not miss, see, or do?

Also, we could use tips on what to bring for the room.....

Thank you so much for any information that you pass on!

16 minutes ago, daisyday33 said:

We are taking a family cruise in November with 6 adults and 7 children (ages 8, 9, 11, 11, 14, 14, 17) and we have not cruised on Symphony of the Seas before.  Could anyone help me with answers specifically for this ship?

How many outlets are there in the cabin?  Are there any USB ports? Plenty of outlets. We were in a balcony stateroom and had several by the desk area, one or 2 on each side of the bed plus a few USB ports. 

What are the adults typically wearing to dinner in the main dining room on a normal night and also on formal night? Varies significantly. Varies from T-shirt to Tux on formal night. Wear what you're comfortable in. Its your vacation. 

What shows would you recommend? All of them

Did your child(ren) enjoy the kids activities?  N/A

Is there anything else you would recommend that we not miss, see, or do? Zipline is fun, Abyss, Waterslides, all the shows, Quest. 

Also, we could use tips on what to bring for the room.....

Thank you so much for any information that you pass on!

I had an inside stateroom. The only USB outlets were under the vanity mirror. There were 2 USB and 3 outlets there. Also one outlet buy the bed and a USB outlet built into the room phone.

I would suggest getting magnetic hooks to hang things and a shoe organizer to store small items.

20191006_133242.jpg

3 hours ago, daisyday33 said:

We are taking a family cruise in November with 6 adults and 7 children (ages 8, 9, 11, 11, 14, 14, 17) and we have not cruised on Symphony of the Seas before. 

critical question:  what kind of rooms are you in?

Love Symphony.  We went this past March with our kids 13 and 9.  They loved all activities... especially Abyss, laser tag, waterslides, Zipline.  There is also rock wall, flowrider and mini golf. They also had fun just exploring and things like scavenger hunt, parade, trivia.

Shows are amazing... especially aqua show, hairspray, flight and the bookable ice show.

For dinner, you will see a mix. Not super formal these days.  I wore slacks and blouse or sundress.  DH wore slacks and dress shirt.

Enjoy!

14 hours ago, daisyday33 said:

We are in four side by side ocean view balcony rooms on Deck #10.

You should be ok then (see the earlier post from another person in the same type of room), but with 3-4 people per room I would still strongly suggest taking a couple of non-surge protected power strips.

as for the usb question, I did not see any in my cabin but I was in a suite so there will be differences. I would start by using the converters that came with your devices. If not that, there are many power to multi usb converters out there. Just make sure they are powerful enough to charge your devices.  

Thank you for your help!

Do you know anything about the 'wristband' for $4.99?  Do these work as room keys, and can items be bought with them?  Are they waterproof?  We are considering them for the children so that they aren't as likely to lose them as a room key but I've called Royal twice and gotten two totally different answers...…   Thank you!

51 minutes ago, daisyday33 said:

Thank you for your help!

Do you know anything about the 'wristband' for $4.99?  Do these work as room keys, and can items be bought with them?  Are they waterproof?  We are considering them for the children so that they aren't as likely to lose them as a room key but I've called Royal twice and gotten two totally different answers...…   Thank you!

They work as room keys and are waterproof.  However, you still need SeaPass cards to exit and re-enter the ship at ports.

On 10/22/2019 at 8:06 AM, jakeil7 said:

but with 3-4 people per room I would still strongly suggest taking a couple of non-surge protected power strips.

Royal is getting more and more restrictive regarding power strips. The people who inspect your luggage can't differentiate surge protected from non-surge protected. We saw an awful lot of them (of all kinds) when we got off the Allure last month.  They are waiting at a table when you debark for you to re-claim.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CORKY_Q said:

Royal is getting more and more restrictive regarding power strips. The people who inspect your luggage can't differentiate surge protected from non-surge protected. We saw an awful lot of them (of all kinds) when we got off the Allure last month.  They are waiting at a table when you debark for you to re-claim.

I had no problems myself with a power strip, but YMMV

On 10/22/2019 at 8:36 AM, daisyday33 said:

Thank you for your help!

I was on Harmony and enjoyed the wristband myself. I am a Disney girl and like the ease of the Magic Bands and Wow bands. We also had 4 cabins on an extended family cruise.  The good thing about the bands in our case was that they enabled me to give a family member not staying in our cabin access to it.  My daughter was staying next door with her cousins and was able to come into my cabin without having to knock.

I wasn't on Symphony, but did experience getting different answers or incorrect answers to inquiries.  The Wow Bands were one of them. I thought the bands were available at Guest Services. When at Guest Services to get a second SeaPass, I was told that there weren't any more bands and they were not available.  Then, we were walking through the promenade and turned to see a table with plenty of the bands. 

We we also be on Symphony next summer and are looking forward to it.  Have a great trip!!

Edited by luv2sailAgain

5 minutes ago, daisyday33 said:

Thank you for the info!  I think my only other question would be - If you have the wristband, do you use it to get on and off the ship or do you still use your card for that?

You must use the SeaPass card to get off and on the ship.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2019 at 3:35 PM, JediNeo said:

I had an inside stateroom. The only USB outlets were under the vanity mirror. There were 2 USB and 3 outlets there. Also one outlet buy the bed and a USB outlet built into the room phone.

I would suggest getting magnetic hooks to hang things and a shoe organizer to store small items.

20191006_133242.jpg

What did you use to hang the shoe organizer? I have one that I bring as well, but I usually have it attached with zip ties to a clothes hanger and use a wall hook.  I'd rather be able to hang it like this instead.

On 10/25/2019 at 10:24 AM, ilovetotravel1977 said:

What did you use to hang the shoe organizer? I have one that I bring as well, but I usually have it attached with zip ties to a clothes hanger and use a wall hook.  I'd rather be able to hang it like this instead.

Not the poster but I suggest you use magnetic hooks.

On 10/25/2019 at 7:24 AM, ilovetotravel1977 said:

I used magnetic hooks I got from Amazon. They initially didn't fit the opens to the organizer. However the hooks needed to be screwed into the magnetic base. Did it that and worked like a charm.